Neo S - is it also good for HiFi purpose?

Discussion in 'HDD Media player(RTD 1619DR)' started by Mai, Feb 25, 2023.

1. Mai

Mai New Member

Hi, I currently have Zidoo X9X for video and Matrix Audio Element M for audio. I’m happy with both devices but would like to see if possible to use Neo S to replace both of them. I have a few questions:
    1. How is ESS 9068 positioned? I know it’s worse than 9038pro, but how does it compare to 9038q2m? My element M has 9028pro and will the sound quality much worse?
    2. Does Neo S support Tidal Connect so I can use Tidal iOS app to send music to the device? And if so does it support full MQA unfolding?
    3. I’d like to understand how to control the device for both video and audio purposes. I plan to connect it to my AVR via HDMI (my AVR then connects to projector). For HiFi I plan to connect to my stereo amp via XLR. Say if I want to play a song via Tidal connect, do I need to first power on the device and switch output to XLR? Or is the device always standby for network playback?
    4. Is the device controlled by IR so I can integrate it to Logitech Harmony?
    5. Does the device have 12v trigger to turn on/off stereo amp?
    6. How is volume controlled in analogue output? Is it controlled by Neo S or fixed level and control by my amp?

Many thanks in advance!
    PS. I also looked into Neo Alpha but it’s too big for my taste and also not available in silver colour.

2. Nice Monkey

Nice Monkey Well-Known Member Beta test group

Last edited: Feb 25, 2023
  3. Mai

Mai New Member

Thank you for the answers!
    I don’t quite understand why stream Tidal over Bluetooth? As I read Zidoo support Tidal connect so isn’t it possible to push playback from iOS app to the device? Also iOS app cannot fully unfold MQA, as I read the unfolding should be done only by certified device, over BT I think it won’t unfold MQA, or maybe I misunderstood something?
    Regarding output switch, assume I don’t need to turn on my projector in order to adjust for HiFi playback, right?

4. Nice Monkey

Nothing more convenient than running streaming music services on the phone. All those app's are optimized for that.

Yes MQA might at least in theory have an advantage being run on a device supporting some unspecified/unknown/invisible device dependent features. Frankly don't believe very much in those. But best is what you like the most.
    http://forum.zidoo.tv/index.php?thr...ther-knowhow-for-hifi-players-playback.86336/
    Chapter-8: What about MQA?

No, playing music using the DAC works fine without a TV/Projector be turned on or even be connected. The APP on the front touch screen of the Neo models works just fine. Next using Zidoo Controller on the phone is the next nice way to control it.
    Frankly I am missing the special panel control buttons (only implemented on the Neo X) on all recent models. They work just great.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2023
    Mai likes this.
  5. Mai

Mai New Member

Ok thanks I probably didn't ask the question properly, so to be very concrete, I'd like to know:
    1) Does Neo S support Tidal Connect (which allows send the playback from Tidal iOS app to the device, similar to AirPlay)?
    2) If the above is true, does Tidal Connect playback support full MQA decoding?

Thanks

6. Nice Monkey

Who can help answering this question? I am not a Tidal user.

7. rozel

rozel Well-Known Member

@Mai - I use Tidal extensively with my Gustard X-16 and Zidoo EverSolo Dac-Z8 DACs but always through UAPP (USB Audio Player Pro) so am not sure I can answer you

8. tora-tora

tora-tora Member

Hi, I am am not a Zidoo owner but considering buying Neo S mainly as a streamer for Tidal. Currently I use another streamer with Tidal connect feature on a daily basis. The beauty of Tidal Connect is that you do not stream through your smartphone. Instead you just control what the streamer needs to stream from Tidal. The stream goes directly to a streamer and smartphone is not in chain (you can check it by exiting the app at smartphone while music is playing). So BT should not be a transport for a stream as your NEO S would get the stream via Ethernet or WiFi. It is not like AirPlay. With AirPlay your phone is a streamer
    1) the support of Tidal connect was announced in July 2022
    and can be seen in specs also. Zidoo is also listed at Tidal web site as tidal connect capable. Also you may see it in action here
    2) Looking at the picture from the video above it seems to support full MQA unfold
    upload_2023-2-28_0-57-56.png

Last edited: Feb 27, 2023
  9. tora-tora

tora-tora Member

I feel the question must be misunderstood. @Mai asked about switching outputs but not changing modes of DAC.
    Usually Tidal Connect experience is like with AirPlay - you just select the device (in you iOS App) you want to play from and that is it - no additional action is required to do at the streamer. Is it implemented not so in NEO S? I am really curious :) Shall you really first to "switch" to Tidal connect "input"?

10. 13a0w3n

13a0w3n New Member

yes, once your device and Neo S is connect in same network.
    It will show "Neo S" as one of your device in the tidal connect, just select it and it will play the song from Neo S

11. Michael Thong

Michael Thong New Member

Yes, it supported Tidal Connect

Attached Files:

12. rozel

rozel Well-Known Member

They say you learn something every day. This message and another somewhere, I forget where, concerning 8x and 16 unfolding, got me googling. I genuinely thought that either MQA could be partially unfolded by the streaming device and fully unfolded by the playback device/DAC or not. I'd not heard of the correlation between 8x & 16x and how these impact the final resolutions of playback.

Pleased to say the Zidoo DAC Z8 fully unfolds as does my Gustard X-16. But learned that although the "pink" LED comes on when appropriate, on my Hidizs S3 Pro DAC dongle, which I use in my car, to justify MQA tracks, it only does 8x unfolding.

Cheers

13. Kelll

Kelll New Member

Hi,

I just bought Neo S and was browsing through this website. My Tidal connect cannot locate Neo S as a device but Spotify connect works flawlessly. I even tried installing tidal app on Neo S. Nothing seem to work. Looking for advise or solution.

Thank you

14. Michael Thong

Michael Thong New Member

Have u update to the latest firmware?

15. 13a0w3n

13a0w3n New Member

First, make sure your neo s and tidal are connected in same network

Secondly, make sure you don't install tidal app in your neo s by yourself.

Once first two point is fulfilled, open your tidal at your mobile phone , before playing a song, click on the icon at top right, and you should see neo s display there.
    IMG_20230502_231300.jpg

IMG_20230502_231331.jpg