Proposal 2.37 and 2.40 as Screen Ratios

Discussion in 'General Development' started by Jonas Hansen, Dec 22, 2022.

1. Jonas Hansen

Jonas Hansen New Member

Hi,

I have the Zidoo and love its ability to be configured for 2.35:1 aspect ratio.

To be able to support more screens (such as my own), it would be great if it also had the ability to support 2.37:1 and 2.40:1 as these are used for movies as well.

For me this would be a fantastic change request!

andyt1000 likes this.
  2. Jonas Hansen

Jonas Hansen New Member

Not much love for this feature? :)

3. Markswift2003

Markswift2003 Well-Known Member SUPER Administrator Beta test group Contributor

Curious - What screen so you have?

4. Jonas Hansen

Jonas Hansen New Member

I have a custom built projector screen. Ratio is around 2.37. If the Zidoo would allow me to enter the exact aspect ratio, it would be a very good feature as I have a slight spillover above and below the screen now.

5. Markswift2003

That's a really odd one - why 2.37:1?

What projector is it? Does it allow software masking?

6. Jonas Hansen

Jonas Hansen New Member

Ask Barco :) Their Cinemascope projectors are born with this format. Example: Barco Hodr Cinemascope (I cannot post links for some reason)

Currently I'm using a standard 16:9 projector though which is why the Zidoo feature would be a great benefit for me.

7. Markswift2003

Bonkers! But I think I know why they did that.... and I think there's a fix...

The standard widescreen commercial aspect ratio is 2.39:1 which is generally cropped to 2.40:1 for consumer content..

2.35:1 was the most common aspect ratio of Cinemascope which actually hasn't been used in decades! Most people refer to 'scope screens but really that's a misnomer, although a lot of companies still mistakenly produce 2.35:1 screens.

Years ago Philips started branding "21:9" Ultra Wide TVs.

The reason they called it "21:9" was purely marketing because consumers could relate it to 16:9. They wanted the common denominator to be "9" even though the maths was actually wrong!!!

Those TVs were actually 64:27 which if you do the math is 4:3 cubed (4:3 squared is 16:9) or approximately 2.37:1.

In order for 64:27 to have 9 as the denominator as the marketing department wanted, the numerator would need to be 21.33 recurring so they rounded it down to 21:9 which is actually 2.33:1, but no-one noticed!

This format died soon after....

So to reiterate, because Philips are crap at maths, 21:9 TVs are actually 2.37:1 and for some unknown reason it appears Barco thought that was a good idea too (I had no idea they did that!)...

So here's the thing - Zidoo has a 21:9 mode in the aspect ratio selection, but I guess not knowing the history of 21:9 TVs, the Zidoo devs took 21:9 at face value and that aspect ratio is 2.33:1 which is neither use nor ornament.

The 21:9 setting should actually be 2.37:1 which would suit your setup perfectly.

Unfortunately this is a bad time to tell them that - they're on vacation now for the Chinese Lunar New Year until the end of the month, at which point I'm off to spend two weeks on a beach in Mauritius.

Ideally we should have 2.35 (for old time's sake), 2.40:1 and 2.37:1 (21:9 ish) as aspect ratios.

8. Jonas Hansen

Jonas Hansen New Member

Thanks for feedback! If they see it after the Chinese Lunar New Year thats great! Doesn't have to be right this moment :)

Feedback to the ideal solution would be a custom input for the ratio. So assuming constant width, you just type the value which should define the aspect ratio. Then you are fulfilling various requirements that people might have at once.

9. Jonas Hansen

Jonas Hansen New Member

Was this change request considered?

10. Deano86

Deano86 Active Member

You say you have spillover.. but don't you have a projector model that has multiple lens memory options? motorized lens zoom, shift and focus? if you have that, then you can tweak that spillover back onto your screen. Or is your projector only a manual zoom and shift model?

11. Jonas Hansen

Jonas Hansen New Member

Only spillover at too/bottom. Cannot zoom your way out of that.

12. Deano86

Deano86 Active Member

whatever you say.. I guess you answered my question ...

13. Jonas Hansen

Jonas Hansen New Member

Follow up here - seems to be an "easy" change as the functionality already exist for 2.35...

14. Jonas Hansen

Jonas Hansen New Member