UHD Blu-ray without HDR playing back in HDR10 - FIRMWARE UPDATE NEEDED

Discussion in 'HDD Media player(RTD 1619DR)' started by Naiera, Feb 23, 2023.

1. Naiera

Naiera Member

I got Evangelion 3.33 on UHD Blu-ray and it's playing back in HDR10 even though it does not have HDR. How do I fix this? I obviously don't want it to use HDR to SDR conversion on something that is already SDR. My scaler does that a million times better anyway.

The Italian UHD Blu-ray release of recent Korean movie Broker did not have this issue.

2. Naiera

Naiera Member

I'm pretty sure I figured out how to work around this issue.

The Zidoo (Z1000 Pro at least) automatically sees BT.2020 as being HDR as well, even though that is not actually a given. The solution was to manually set the output to SDR BT.2020 under the HDR settings, and this produced an output that seems to be identical to the Evangelion 3.0+1.11 UHD Blu-ray Disc in the Panasonic DP-UB820, which has no trouble just spitting out SDR BT.2020 automatically.

So the Zidoo needs an update so that it can detect SDR BT.2020 automatically. Outputting that as HDR was removing a lot of detail. Forcing the output to BT.709 did not yield great results; lots of detail was missing here, too.

An easy test with either Evangelion UHD Blu-ray is to find the scene with the foot tracks in the red sand on the hill, which is at the end of 3.333 and just before four minutes into 3.0+1.11.

I don't know of other non-HDR UHD Blu-rays than the aforementioned BT.709 Italian release of Broker, Evangelion 3.333 and 3.0+1.11, in addition to the initial run of Akira, which was mistakenly missing HDR. I don't know if the latter was BT.2020 or 709. Non-HDR UHD discs are uncommon, but IMO should still be supported properly on the Zidoo. Of course, the Italian release of Broker was fine, as it did not have any wide colour gamut things going on.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2023
    gymnos likes this.
  3. AngryVirginian

AngryVirginian Active Member

This is the first disc that I have ever heard with BT.2020 SDR. There are many SDR 4K discs out there but all that I have seen use BT.709.

Naiera likes this.
  4. Naiera

Naiera Member

Well, there are two now, with the release of Evangelion 3.0+1.11 the other day ;)

5. Naiera

Naiera Member

Found another BT.2020 UHD Blu-ray without HDR; it's the German release of Operation Omerta.

It's not even in the database on Blu-ray.com, so it's no wonder if it's gone under the radar, but it exists, and I have it ;)

6. Deano86

Deano86 Active Member

So, it is your belief that the Zidoo development team should write code to compensate for improperly authored UHD HDR blurays??

7. Sledgehamma

Sledgehamma Well-Known Member

What do you mean by “improperly authored”?
    Its well within specs to have SDR BT.2020.

@OP. Try remuxing via makemkv, this works as it should.

Naiera likes this.
  8. Naiera

Naiera Member

As mentioned, these discs are within spec. Other players play them just fine.

I mean no offense to you or anyone involved with making these players, but there are plenty of issues with them, in a variety of different areas, that could use fixing. Nevertheless, I wouldn't want to be without mine.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2023
  9. Naiera

Naiera Member

Hello and thank you for your reply. I am not sure what you want me to remux, though? I'm already using MakeMKV to rip.

10. Sledgehamma

You did rip the whole disc with makeMKV from what I gathered. Remux to mkv instead :)

Naiera likes this.
  11. Naiera

Naiera Member

I rip only the main movie and the language track I want to an MKV file :)

12. Sledgehamma

Gotcha. Could replicate the issue on my end.

Naiera likes this.
  13. Deano86

Deano86 Active Member

OK, my bad.... but why put SDR in BT.2020.. why not just have the disc output SDR BT.709?

14. Naiera

Naiera Member

So you get all the fancy extra color space.

15. Deano86

Deano86 Active Member

Oh Yaaaa... cool!:D

Naiera likes this.
  16. lanz

lanz Member

Yet another in a very long list of things to correct. If they'd opened up the source code of their software, this would have been fixed ages ago.

17. Sledgehamma

They can’t just open up the code….its not up to them anyway.

18. Markswift2003

Markswift2003 Well-Known Member SUPER Administrator Beta test group Contributor

19. Naiera

Naiera Member

I'm putting together a "list of grievances". Hopefully some of it can make it into a future update :oops: