Gapless Playback of Multichannel FLAC/dsf

Discussion in 'HDD Media player(RTD 1619DR)' started by Pete B, Mar 5, 2023.

1. Pete B

Pete B Member

When I upgraded my Z9X FW to v6.4.40, multichannel (5.1, 4.0) FLAC and .dsf were playing gaplessly. I tried it last night and the gaps are back. I haven't updated anything since the v6.4.40 firmware update and it's not connected to the internet so can't have updated anything in the background. Is there some setting that switches on/off gapless playback for multichannel audio files? Gapless playback of stereo (2.0) FLACs is still working.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2023
  2. toshu

toshu Member

I am curious how you output the Multi channel signal from the Z9X? is it directly via HDMI to a multi channel amp?

3. Pete B

Pete B Member

Yes, that's correct: HDMI cable from Z9X to Marantz SR7013 receiver.

4. Nice Monkey

Nice Monkey Well-Known Member Beta test group

As far as I know MCH was never gapless. These play gapless only if it is a single track like with SACD in ISO. For FLAC I convert to a single track with a matching CUE sheet. Easy enough for e.g. live albums.

Pete B likes this.
  5. Pete B

Pete B Member

Yeah, I have single FLACs for entire albums where the gaps become annoying which is a good workaround. I seem to remember gapless multichannel FLAC/dsf capability though.

Can anyone else chime in with their experience?

6. Pete B

Pete B Member

Just confirming that multichannel (5.1, 4.0) .dsf still play gaplessly on my Z9X. Multichannel (5.1, 4.0) FLAC have gaps between tracks. Stereo all plays gaplessly.

Can anyone confirm if multichannel (5.1, 4.0) FLAC plays gaplessly on their Z9X? I understand the official word is that gapless playback is only available for stereo audio but that's clearly not the case as multichannel (5.1, 4.0) .dsf play gaplessly on my Z9X.

7. Nice Monkey

Nice Monkey Well-Known Member Beta test group

Interesting to hear that DSF will play gapless. What about DFF? Never use these as I prefer by far the original ISO switchable between 2CH and MCH.

8. Pete B

Pete B Member

Yeah, it's weird for sure. I don't have any DFF files so can't test them sorry.