Zidoo Z1000 Pro - Trying to Expand Network Storage

Discussion in 'HDD Media player(RTD 1619DR)' started by rozel, Feb 14, 2023.

1. rozel

rozel Well-Known Member

I have a Yottamaster 4 disk RAID Array which I've been using as expansion for my PC. This is no longer necessary so I have been experimenting and researching ways I could use it on my Network, to expand storage for my music / films using my Zidoo.

My Media Player is in a different room to my PC and NASs but the rooms are ethernet connected. Attaching it direct to the Zidoo will be a last resort as I've run out of space for it and it's too large to house in the HiFi cabinet.

My Zidoo plays extremely well via an old ReadyNas RN104 so I initially tried connecting the Yottamaster to the NAS via USB. All went well but when I tried copying files using my PC on the Network the copying bombed out. I've been told via the Nas's forum that connecting a RAID setup this way is always going to be prone to issues.

Then I wondered about a USB Device Server but never had experience with these and I'm thinking they are only good for Scanners and Printers.

I wonder if anyone has a better solution I could consider? Thanks in advance.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2023
  2. Cary Grant

Cary Grant New Member

I have a similar setup, Netgear 104's, 204's and Icybox and Yottamaster addon USB raid boxes (DAS) and have some issues when copying. The main issue seems to be "network traffic" related if copying across a large amount of files the process seems to choke probably across the usb interface . However when the copying stops with the "network error..." message I tick the box that says "try again" and the copying continues, If there are more errors do the same thing, then at the end the message comes up with "there are files already in this location do you wish to overwrite these" (or similar, these are the files that failed) select "yes" and the files are copied over again. "Rinse, repeat as necessary

If it fails again then if you keep a note of the files that failed, delete these from the copy location and then copy across again the copy usually succeeds. It seems that the smaller size being copied helps the process especially if the copying speed was high

I have found that when the copying halts due to an "error" As long as you do not close of the copying process you can even reboot the NAS and resume once the nas has come back online. In fact doing this process as I write, 2 errors thus far copying across 6.4Tb

3. rozel

rozel Well-Known Member

Wow! Thank you so much @Cary Grant that's so much appreciated. Does your zidoo play the files ok over your network.?

4. 3DBuff

3DBuff Well-Known Member

That's a lot of network issues. I have Zidoo Z9x with 3 hard drives. 1 SATA and 2 USB. I can transfer files at about 90MB/s. On occasion Zidoo will close the doors to the drives on NAS. Reboot or shutting NAS function off and on is the only way to get access again. My WD MyCloud (old not Home) runs about 75MB/s and it has Seagate Backup Plus USB hub connected to USB port. Another 2 drives connected to Seagate hub. USB drives will reach 45MB/s speed. Couple more drives on Raspberry Pi 4 running latest Kodi. Shared drives run solid at 50MB/s. Other than Zidoo the rest is pretty stable. No network errors during copy. No issues playing files. My 80 and 90TB UHD's are on Zidoo local drives. Networked files are up to 50GB in size.

5. rozel

rozel Well-Known Member

My issue attaching my Yottamaster to my ReadyNas is 100% exactly as @Cary Grant has described. I'm not interested in connecting direct to my Zidoo.

6. 3DBuff

3DBuff Well-Known Member

@rozel, I'm just saying that network issues with USB attached drives to NAS hub are not normal or common. It could be something with Yottamaster enclosure itself.

7. Cary Grant

Cary Grant New Member

Files play OK. I use NFS as well. I in fact have a Z9, a Z1000, 2*Dune (1619) boxes and a Oppo Clone attached to an number of Ready NAS' and most with attached additional storage and have no real issues. Sometimes the boxes need to be turned off and back on to clear network issues but not that often at all.

8. rozel

rozel Well-Known Member

@3DBuff - thanks for taking an interest. Yes you are quite correct I am very aware. The Yottamaster is a professional unit and hoped there would be a way to "network" it. Maybe I do need to make a home for it in my living room after all so it can connect direct to the Zidoo - oh well :(

9. rozel

rozel Well-Known Member

Brilliant! Maybe I need to try again connecting to the NAS - you are proving this to be possible after all. :) I am not bothered how long files take to be transferred, or indeed the difficulties associated in doing that. Have been told that if my drives are SMR then don't even bother trying. But they are CMR so this gives me the confidence to have another go and take transfers a bit more slowly. When my first effort bombed, apparently I had transferred 7.5GB but then I cancelled. Perhaps I'll try doing what you say precisely and see what happens tomorrow. After all, I was able to setup a "Share" on the "ext usb hdd" on the nas and my Zidoo recognised it, despite no files having been transferred at that stage. Really good to know you've experienced exactly the same issue and potentially how to overcome it.

I'll post again on how things went tomorrow - cheers

10. Cary Grant

Cary Grant New Member

I have had extended discussions with Netgear in the past about usb attached storage as a number of firmware updates actually changed the way the NAS mounts external storage leading to a "disappearance" of the external drive and then made some USB drives incompatible with the NAS. In fact Netgear are/were not really on top of the external storage to extend the capacity of a NAS even though at one point they sold their own expansion box. One of the issues is that apparently the processor on the 104/204 series is "underpowered" for this and they recommended the 300 and above series of NAS'.

So the "underpowered" processor "chokes" when faced with a large amount of data to be transferred (held in the buffers) and the speed of the transfer also affects the stability of the transfers. The "worst' situation is when you are transferring between the NAS and attached expansion on the same NAS. If you check the processor usage it is in the 90%'s and then if you are using the NAS as well then it can "fall-over" The transfer rate is slow compared to the expansion box on another nas or the fastest transfer is when the expansion box is connected to a PC and then when completed attached to the required NAS.

One other issue maybe that the Yottamaster box is actually going or trying to go to sleep. even though there is activity. Yottamaster issued a program to users so you can turn sleep mode off in the box.

I have been working with these NAS' and expansion boxes for about eight plus years now and this is nothing unusual and not really an indication that there is anything wrong with the expansion boxes.

11. rozel

rozel Well-Known Member

I am becoming speechless - your information is so useful to know given it is so relevant to the kit I have and what I want to do!

Yes I wondered if this is what triggered the problem. Yes I downloaded the program / firmware but not sure how it works and whether or not I invoked it. I shall fully look at this tomorrow. I noticed the blue individual drive lights were off at the time when the transfer bombed - hmmmmmmm

12. Cary Grant

Cary Grant New Member

I also have synology NAS's Same issues. As I said I have been using this expansion for quite a while as it is a lot cheaper than getting another NAS. To be honest all the the NAS boxes and Expansion boxes are used for is "dumb" storage and their network capability and there are no other services running for example plex or any transcoding on these so why have a significant outlay for processing speed or features that will not be used. If I wanted these features I would get a higher powered NAS and minimise all other tasks to maximise the horsepower. All I require is some redundancy from RAID 5 . Then when I did get an additional NAS or increased the drive size in the NAS I used the "old" drives in the expansion boxes and so on so I have a significant number of NAS boxes and expansion boxes now. The next phase is to add Yottamaster 5 drive expansion boxes to use up the large number of 3Tb drives I now have "spare" which gives a "decent" amount of file storage/backup and transfer capability. So I can see where you are going with this and I am a "bit further up the road"

Another point do not hang two expansion boxes off the 104/102. I never got this working safely if at all the "underpowered" processor is the stumbling block here.

13. rozel

rozel Well-Known Member

Yes again you are right - and my Yottamaster is configured to 4 x 2TB in RAID 5 mode haha! Thanks for the heads up too, very much appreciated

14. rozel

rozel Well-Known Member

@Cary Grant - sorry I didn't come back yesterday but had a family issue. Ok, so started over. I first changed the "Sleep Timer" on the Yottamster FS4RU3 to 120 mins but the front lights are ever so erratic. Sometimes they simply don't show at all. But nevertheless I tried again, set up the Share and configured it on my ReadyNas RN104. Started to copy 89GB of files. After around 20 mins it bombed once more. The issue wasn't due to a USB Bottleneck, I don't think, as after "Trying Again" as you said, a few times, Windows Explorer stated the destination was no longer available.

Logging back into the ReadyNas revealed the USB Share had simply disappeared confirming the Windows Explorer message.

I rebooted the ReadyNas and hey ho what had copied so far reappeared! Really confused now. Wondering what would happen if I rebooted the ReadyNas keeping the Copying process alive on the PC? But why does the share disappear? The main shares on the ReadyNas drives don't disappear, just the external one. Your help would be much appreciated.

Edit: - Tried again with same files but Explorer would not overwrite those that had been transferred saying disk is write protected - really confused. Logged back in to Readynas and yes, the share's got an error saying it's "Read Only" and yet its Permissions confirm them as both Read & Write. Help!

Last edited: Feb 16, 2023
  15. rozel

rozel Well-Known Member

Ok - I continue to struggle and so I think attaching the Yottamaster 4 disk Raid 5 array to my ReadyNas is not possible. I've managed to find some room for the Yottamaster in my Living Room adjacent to my Zidoo.

I have a few questions please which I hope @Nice Monkey or @Markswift2003 (hope you had a really good holiday :)) or someone else can answer: -

1. Will it be a simple case of attaching the Yottamaster to my Zidoo via one of its USB ports?
    2. By doing that, will it be visible on my network along with the folders on the internal disc already inserted in the Zidoo?
    3. If 2. isn't automatically possible, what do I need to do?

Thanks

16. Nice Monkey

Nice Monkey Well-Known Member Beta test group

Should work and should be visible as one big drive.

17. rozel

rozel Well-Known Member

Nice one thank you!

18. rozel

rozel Well-Known Member

Well that was easy enough! Transferred some Hi-Res music to a reformatted Yottamaster and connected up and voila - all sorted. Playing some of the transferred music as I write this. Just hoping it'll be visible on the network but I cannot check until tomorrow now - but feel sure it will . First time I've connected external storage to my Zidoo - well pleased. Yottamaster isn't the quietest array though as I hear it grumbling away during quiet passages and in between tracks.

I will play a film later, which I've also transferred and see how that goes. Thanks again

19. rozel

rozel Well-Known Member

Just to feed back: -
    Film played superbly :).
    Managed to sort it on my Network too this morning and give it a drive letter.

Dead chuffed now although the Yottamaster is a noisy bugger, another reason why I wanted it attaching to my ReadyNas. But I'll live with it.

20. Nice Monkey

Nice Monkey Well-Known Member Beta test group

@rozel
    USB3 cables of 5m to 10m length still do work nicely mostly. Maybe move it somewhere more convenient?