HDMI Levels doesn't work correctly

Discussion in 'HDD Media player(RTD 1619DR)' started by mecedo, Oct 5, 2022.

1. mecedo

mecedo New Member

In Video options "Auto" for HDMI Levels doesn't work if on TV settings "Auto" option is selected. Black level mismatch occurs. The only solution is to set it 16-235/limited on Zidoo. Checked on Sony TV and LG and the same behavior occur on booth.
    Checked with v6.4.35 software too.

2. Markswift2003

Markswift2003 Well-Known Member SUPER Administrator Beta test group Contributor

"Auto" will work fine in most circumstances when HDR is also set to "Auto".

However, its operation is dependent on Quantization Range settings in the display EDID and also the use of VS10 and Dolby Vision.

I always advocate setting this discretely to "16-235" to avoid any problems.

3. mecedo

mecedo New Member

Hi. Any info if this bug will be fixed? The only solution with setting output video range to "Limited (16-235)" is not good solution because then pictures are displayed incorrectly.

4. Oldpainless

Oldpainless Active Member

Set Limited on the Zidoo and Limited/Low on the display.

AngryVirginian likes this.
  5. mecedo

mecedo New Member

Yes but it's lossy option. 0-255 from picture will be downscaled to 16-235 with 15% loss of picture dynamic range.

6. Oldpainless

I'm confused....what content are you trying to play? All video content is encoded in tv range (aka Limited).

Are you outputting rgb or ycbcr? Most people set ycbcr limited range (10-12 bit, 4.4.4 etc etc @ supported TV refresh rates) and let the display do the ycbcr to rgb conversation, as they are generally better at it.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2022
  7. mecedo

mecedo New Member

Graphic: jpg, png etc. They are in 0-255 range.
    With option HDMI video Levels set to Auto in Zidoo pictures are displayed correctly but video not. You have to set HDMI video Levels to 16-235 in Zidoo to play videos correctly. But then graphic jpg, png are displayed incorrectly. If option "Auto" for HDMI video Levels in Zidoo would work correctly then all problems will gone.

8. Oldpainless

Ah, ok, I understand. I don't use my Zidoo for pictures, so there is nothing I can add I'm afraid.