strange "stuttering"-phenomenon while playing WebRips

Discussion in 'ZIDOO Z9S' started by furzgesicht, Sep 2, 2022.

1. furzgesicht

furzgesicht Member

I would like to open a topic here for which I have not found anything after an intensive search in the www or in the Zidoo forum.

When playing back almost all webrips with the internal player of the Zidoo Z9S, I have the problem that at some point they get "out-of-sync" with regard to the video. The best way to describe the phenomenon is that the frame rate drops from, for example, 23.976 fps to a perceived 10 fps, the picture is jerky, the sound is not affected. If I stop the video and let it continue right there, the problem disappears. This "jerking" phenomenon occurs about 4-5 times in a film.

This phenomenon most likely (I am only 95% sure) does not occur with BluRay rips.

Can anyone explain this phenomenon and have possible solutions?

2. 3DBuff

3DBuff Well-Known Member

This phenomenon is going back to early firmware releases for previous model X9S. I had article about it here. Try different newer firmware. It was resolved on X9S long time ago.
    I don't have Z9S and can't comment on this model and firmware issues. Not a problem with latest X9Z model.

3. furzgesicht

furzgesicht Member

Thank you for your comments. The error is not the same as you described behind the link.
    When the error occurs suddenly, the stuttering remains until you press stop and restart the movie at that point. The best way to describe the effect would be as if you were playing a 23.976 fps at 25fps, for example, except that the intervals between the jerking are shorter.
    In fact, I now believe that it must be some form of rip error, since not all WebRips are affected. The only strange thing is the fact that - if you rewind to the point where the jerking started - the error is not reproducible.

- Bandwidth problem I can exclude with nearly 1gbit WLAN speed. The WebRips usually have a maximum of 15 mbit in the peak, I have been able to watch UHDs with over 100mbit bitrate without problems.
    - I use a HDMI 2.1 certified cable. The fact that I can watch BluRay rips (FHD or UHD) without judder also speaks against a defect HDMI-cable.
    - I have always kept the firmware up to date.
    - My TV is a new OLED LG83C17, so I do not think it is a TV problem/handshake problem.

I just can't sort out the problem, can't find any regularities, e.g. time intervals between the jerks, etc. So it seems, I have to live with it unfortunately...

4. 3DBuff

3DBuff Well-Known Member

Second example of the stutter was from WebRips. More detailed info here. The appearance is a bit different from what you describe (different Zidoo player) but I think the root cause is the same.
    The issue was within the file, framerate information missing from the codec or something similar however other players would work with it just fine. It was fixed by firmware at some point on X9S.

You could try to fix those files by recoding with proper frame rate info without touching video compression stream. TsMuxer was a program to do it. Just a hassle and time consuming to go through the effected files.

5. furzgesicht

furzgesicht Member

I experimented a bit and also installed an older Home Theater version. Interestingly, the error does not occur when I use the versions 4.2.08 or 4.1.91. If I use versions starting from 4.2.17, it comes approx. starting from minute 29 with WebRips to the described stuttering, which lasts then approx. 2 minutes and then disappears again. The next jerks come then so from minute 53.

Does Home Theater not use the internal player of the Zidoo? Is my discovery technically at all comprehensible and logical...?

6. 3DBuff

3DBuff Well-Known Member

Internal Zidoo player should be independent from Home Theater version. How did you change HT on Z9S player without changing entire operating system? It's one of those build in protected programs and not easy to upgrade by itself without rooting.
    You could try to start movie from media browser app clicking of file without going through HT.

7. furzgesicht

furzgesicht Member

I used McBluna's method to root the device and (de)installed the latest versions of HT. Everything should be fine with this cause movies play as fine as they should with the mentioned older HT versions.

My discovery just does not make any sense to me, I will stick with HT 2.08 for now.

My question is: is it technically imaginable/possible that HT produces such an error?

Last edited: Sep 21, 2022