Zidoo Z9X loud squeaking discs

Discussion in 'HDD Media player(RTD 1619DR)' started by deusexe, Jun 17, 2022.

1. deusexe

deusexe Member

I have firmware 6.3.75 on my Z9X (I do not install beta because I am afraid of sound distortion after pause, now I do not have this problem) but I have a problem and I do not know if it is the fault of the firmware or hardware.
    The disks connected to the player squeak much louder than in the PC or directly on the TV. I thought maybe the drive was whack, but on 3 different the same situation in Zidoo loud, and not in the computer. The sound appears while a movie is playing, while paused, it becomes muted after a while.
    The sound is like the sizzling of the cracklings in a pan.:mad:

2. Nice Monkey

Nice Monkey Well-Known Member Beta test group

Yes the HDD can make all kinds of sound while spinning and making clicks with headset moves. Some drives are worse with one or the other.

You are talking about a HDD connected to Z9X or PC but don't say how? Are we talking a USB portable HDD or a SATA connected HDD? I can't see how a USB attached drive sounds so much different but for SATA for sure as the housing makes all the difference. With an USB drive you can move it around as that can make a big difference too.

You want a real silent drive? Just use any 2.5 inch version. You may use an adapter with it to make it 3.5 inch compatible.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2022
  3. deusexe

deusexe Member

2.5'' USB drives, I have about 10 of them and all the X9S used in the previous zidoo were quiet - normal, just like now in a computer or TV. And in the new Zidoo Z9X they squeak.

4. DELUCAS

DELUCAS Well-Known Member

Maybe its time to make a move to a 2.5 inch sata drive id Guarantee you want hear any noise using them .

5. Nice Monkey

Curious case using 2.5 USB drives. Above all if they all do this.
    Except going for SSD no real answer.

6. deusexe

deusexe Member

After a deeper analysis, it turned out that it is not the discs that sizzle, but the box itself! Is this a defect of my copy or is it like that? Or maybe firmware?

7. Nice Monkey

Never had that experience so normal it isn't for sure.
    Which brand and type is it? You can always (temporary) extract the HDD from that housing and use it SATA attached. Do this all the time with 3.5 inch HDD's.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2022
  8. deusexe

deusexe Member

The same Zidoo box inside makes noises!

9. deusexe

deusexe Member

Zidoo support... hmm?