DV recommended settings on LG C1 and Z1000

Discussion in 'HDD Media player(RTD 1619DR)' started by adrian.mole, May 11, 2022.

1. adrian.mole

adrian.mole New Member

Hi,

Currently using the below settings which give raised blacks in DV content. Dropping the screen brightness to 49 seems to resolve but is perhaps crushing blacks. Anyone got the correct settings please?

Z1000
    Display/HDR: Auto
    Display/Color Settings/4K 50~60Hz: Priority YUV420 12BIT
    Display/Color Settings/4K 23~30Hz: Priority YUV444 12BIT
    Display/Color Settings/Non-4K: Priority YUV444 12BIT
    Display/Color Settings/HDMI Range: 16-235
    Display/HDMI Mode: 3840x2160p 23Hz
    Display/MaxCLL and MaxFALL: ON
    Display/Priority: LLDV (Player Led)
    Display/Colour Settings/Deep Colour Compatibility Mode: OFF

C1
    DV Cinema mode
    Just scan - ON
    OLED Pixel brightness - 100
    Contrast - 100
    Screen Brightness - 50
    Auto Dynamic contrast - off
    Peak Brightness - High
    Gamma - 2.2 (greyed out)
    Gamma - Auto (greyed out)
    Motion eye care - off

Colour depth - 50
    Tint - 0
    Colour gamut - Native ( greyed out)
    Fine tune - Left at default
    White balance - W50

Sharpness - 0
    Super resolution - off
    Noise Reduction - off
    MPEG Noise reduction - off
    Smooth gradation - off
    True motion - off
    Cinema screen - On

HDMI cable is 48gbps certified direct to C1

Last edited: May 11, 2022
  2. Markswift2003

Markswift2003 Well-Known Member SUPER Administrator Beta test group Contributor

I don't have an LG C1 but the red flag for me there is "Gamma - 2.2 (greyed out)"

If the TV is truly in gamma 2.2 (Power gamma - used for SDR) then that would definitely be perceived as raised blacks.

Gamma for Dolby Vision is PQ (Perceptual Quantiser) or ST.2084 - I'd probably expect gamma to be greyed out but I'd expect to see something like PQ, ST.2084 or similar in the gamma setting.

Your Zidoo settings are fine although there's no need to use 12-bit in the colour settings - use 8-bit for non 4K and 10-bit for 4K. DV bypasses these and correctly uses 8-bit RGB for TV Led and 12-bit 422 for TV Led.

Two questions:

1. Does the TV report Dolby Vision when you play a DV file and does it happen with both Profile 5 and Profile 7 DV?

2. Do the colours look muted and dull as well or are colours ok?

Last edited: May 11, 2022
  3. 3DBuff

3DBuff Well-Known Member

I have older LG OLED65E6P. Greyed out setting is not what the TV does or use. It just means it's not accessible at the current mode and shows what was used the last time when selected. LG will switch greyed out function internally but display shows greyed out what was selected the last time when available. It does not update greyed out fields.

To test it you could select different gamma like 2.1 on regular HD video and switch back to DV. Check what is showing greyed out on DV.

Video parameter adjustment in Zidoo is very handy. Small adjustments to tweak image in DV or specially using VS10 engine solves the issue and greatly improves the image.

4. adrian.mole

adrian.mole New Member

--------------

Hi Mark,

Looks like the C1 has 'Gamma - 2.2 (greyed out)' for both DV and HDR10 content. I do not see raised blacks for HDR.
    Thanks for the explanation on 10-bit changed that to;

Display/Color Settings/4K 50~60Hz: Priority YUV420 10BIT
    Display/Color Settings/4K 23~30Hz: Priority YUV444 10BIT
    Display/Color Settings/Non-4K: Priority YUV444 8BIT

1. When playing Dolby vision hardware shows;

Player: 3840x2160 @23Hz YUV422 12 Bits BT2020 DV
    TV: 2160p BT.2020 Dolby Vision

I don't have any profile 5 films but I have many titles reporting Profile 6 and 7 with the issue.

Examples;
    HDR format : Dolby Vision, Version 1.0, dvhe.07.06, BL+EL+RPU, Blu-ray compatible / SMPTE ST 2086, HDR10 compatible
    HDR format : Dolby Vision, Version 1.0, dvhe.06.06, BL+EL+RPU, HDR10 compatible / SMPTE ST 2086

2. I'm afraid I lack any form of DV calibration content, but I would say the DV picture looks muted in direct HDR10 comparison yes. However I could be just perceiving a more natural and accurate picture for something dull. It is very very slight, but iI can tell the panel is not true black. When forcing HDR10 mode for DV content on the player, this raises the black level considerably and is way more raised so its not like that.

5. adrian.mole

adrian.mole New Member

Thanks for the reply.

I have bt.1886 selected for SDR content and not 2.2, would you suggest I change that to 2.4 and then see if the setting changes?

6. 3DBuff

3DBuff Well-Known Member

No, it's just replay to Mark comment:
    That's not necessary red flag. Greyed out doesn't mean forced to Gamma - 2.2 with no option to change. The Gamma is automatically selected by the LG TV behind the scene probably to best DV maybe PQ or whatever they have but what you see is stuck Gamma 2.2 from the last accessible setting. I wouldn't pay too much attention to it. If it bothers you that much than you could try to prove this point by going to SD or HD video, changing gamma to anything else and going back to DV. This way you will see that the new greyed out gama would be the last selected 2.4 or whatever chosen and elevated blacks and image still the same.

Just to bring out the point that greyed out in LG TV settings is not what is currently used. Greyed out in LG TV it means that you don't know what it is and can't change it.

7. Markswift2003

As @3DBuff says, the 2.2 thing is a red herring - I just thought it was odd that the TV would report that with a DV input but the explanation makes sense even if the programming doesn't!

One point to make, although I don't think anything to do with this issue, is that there is officially no such Profile as Profile 6 for Dolby Vision so I'm not really sure where that comes from although if you bugger about with the metadata it's easy to get a file to incorrectly report as "Profile 6". I suspect those files have been cobbled together with something like TSMuxer.

BT.1886 is correct for SDR and is very likely 2.2 anyway.

But as for what's going on here I think we need someone with a C1 to chime in.. I certainly see no issue with black level here in DV.

Another thing to try is TV Led DV - I'd be surprised if that has the same problem.

8. Thanh Nguyen

Thanh Nguyen Member

I have LG C1 on Z9X,
    Almost identical settings
    Of mine that is different is :

Display/Priority: LLDV (Player Led)
    Display/Colour Settings/Deep Colour Compatibility Mode: OFF

I have Deep Color : On ( ON C1 says i need to turn on HDMI Deep Color to get 4k@ 120hz if i recall because I use this as a monitor) so I thought I'd just match it on the Zidoo.
    And I use TV-LED.
    Your TV calibrated? From what I remember during calibration with Spectro + Coloro my C1 was crushing black more than raising it. 1.4-5% greyscale were crushing out of the box. Maybe yours is the opposite? C1 color accuracy are pretty bad out of the box.

Last edited: May 12, 2022
    B0RN likes this.
  9. Yzarul

Yzarul New Member

I believe the issue is "Display/Color Settings/HDMI Range: 16-235".

That should be set to the full RGB range, i.e. 0-255. That would explain why black is grey on your TV.

10. Jimbo Randy

Jimbo Randy Active Member

That doesn't make sense? Why would you want RGB FULL for videos? All videos are yuv, which is limited. Don't set your Zidoo to RGB full. You can't even send 10 bits that way since HDMI 2.0 doesn't have the bandwidth....

gymnos and Oldpainless like this.
  11. Jimbo Randy

Does it look right if you select TV Led dolby vision?

12. Jimbo Randy

I have a C1. How would I test this?

Lifecircle likes this.
  13. Markswift2003

Set TV Led in the Dolby Vision Compatibility setting in "Display"

14. Jimbo Randy

No, sorry. I meant how would I test to make sure black levels are fine? Because don't most movies have minimum luminances above 0 nits? Like 0.05 nits or something? So I'd assume I"d need some sort of calibration pattern to test it for real?

15. Jimbo Randy

Just following up. I'd love to test this properly to rule out an issue with the C1.

16. Jimbo Randy

Following up. How can I test that black levels are working properly?

17. Markswift2003

What do you mean by "test that black levels are working properly?"

I'm not being facetious, it's a big subject and it depends whether you're talking about black floor, greyscale or how many nits your TV puts put for black for example.

The short answer is test patterns and an understanding of what and how you are measuring, and that changes with the content dynamic range. As I say, big subject.

The other short answer is leave it alone - an LG should be perfectly fine. If you can't see an issue, there probably isn't one.

18. Jimbo Randy

I was just tryna help since the other person also had a C1. With all of the old black level issues (i know this was supposed to be fixed) and the random posts about black level issues, I figured I'd test it officially :). I'll look into getting a test file video.

The issue with testing on movies is that most movies aren't mastered to 0 nits minimum, but like 0.05 instead. I think?

I'm trying to make sure black levels aren't raised.

19. Jimbo Randy

Just following up. I watched a few scenes from Dune and the Northman in dolby vision and black levels looked fine to me, as far as I can tell. I have a C1.

20. Jimbo Randy

Hi. I remember this thread from a few months ago. Just wanted to follow up to say that I have the EXACT same issue with Dolby Vision content in Cinema mode. Lowering the Screen Brightness from 50 to 49 fixes it, so I think this is most likely an issue with the C1s. It looks like they fixed this on the C2s.

This is NOT a Zidoo issue.

gymnos likes this.