Serious problem displaying subtitles when outputting HDR using VS10

Discussion in 'HDD Media player(RTD 1619DR)' started by ursiel, Feb 21, 2022.

1. ursiel

ursiel Active Member

I reported this in the current v6.3.75 Beta thread too, but felt this might deserve it's own thread to get some attention since it's important and has affected multiple firmware versions.

There's a critical issue with subtitles displaying when playing an HDR file using the VS10 processor on the Z9X.

When playing an mkv (in this case 1080p) with HDR10 and HDR output set to "Dolby Vision VS10 Engine (For HDR, DV Content)", subtitles don't display properly for me.

They either appear totally unreadable, like pixellated dot-matrix, with odd colors, or sometimes if it is readable, it's the wrong color. I've gone back-and-forth a few times with my HDR settings. If I set HDR output to "Auto", subtitles display fine with the same file being played back. If I re-enable VS10, it's back to being garbled again, or the wrong color. Yesterday I couldn't even finish a video when the forced subtitles popped up and they were unreadable. I tried different subtitle color settings, etc., but nothing made them readable.

That was with v6.3.66 installed. Today, I installed v6.3.75, and it's the same issue, but today, after switching HDR to Auto and then back to VS10, subs are now semi-readable, sort of, but they don't look right and they're the wrong color. If I select yellow, they're green, for example. Whatever color I select, it displays wrong, and some colors display like dot-matrix again.

I'm using the custom EDID "BT.2020 HDR10" posted in the EDID thread to disable DV output as my TV doesn't handle DV well, so HDR and DV are both processed with VS10 and output as HDR10. This has been working well until I discovered this subtitle issue.

I have no idea what's going on with HDR/VS10 subtitles but this is important and they need to take a look at it. Can anyone else replicate this issue? Currently, I'm unable to use VS10 for any HDR content if I need to display subtitles.

EDIT: If I select white or grey for subtitles with this file, they appear readable now with VS10 enabled. If I select any colors they appear as the wrong color.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2022
  2. Markswift2003

Markswift2003 Well-Known Member SUPER Administrator Beta test group Contributor

There has always been an issue with SRT subtitles and colours with VS10, but not as you describe and not restricted to HDR10 content.

The colours hues are wrong and non-standard - so you choose red, you get yellow (ish). Choose green, you get pink. Choose blue, you get purple etc.

Not sure why this is, but I've never seen the point of coloured subs and I've certainly never seen them garbled in any way.

Just tried an HDR10 title with SRT subs and using both VS10 HDR and VS10 DV the subs, although the colours are wrong (except black or white), they displayed absolutely fine so no idea what's going on in your case.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2022
  3. ursiel

ursiel Active Member

Yellow subs tend to be easier on the eyes for me, but there seems to be no way to achieve them with VS10 enabled for HDR. Do the Dunes suffer from this too?

4. Markswift2003

Markswift2003 Well-Known Member SUPER Administrator Beta test group Contributor

Choosing red with VS10 gives you yellow. Ish. More a sort of gold..

As I say, this is a long standing issue but I guess most don't bother with the colours so never notice.
    I've raised it with the devs again and sent a test file.

I think Dunes decode the colours correctly.