Any DTS Audio Not Working For Me

Discussion in 'HDD Media player(RTD 1619DR)' started by Vinny, Feb 9, 2022.

1. Vinny

Vinny New Member

Hello Team, new Z9X user here.

I am currently experiencing some issues with playing any DTS audio from any of my movies on my Z9X (my library is from my Symology NAS via SMB)

My setup is as follows: I have a Nakamichi 9.2 soundbar connected to my LG OLED77CXPUA via HDMI eARC. My soundbar is compatible with virtually all audio formats, to include DTS Master Audio however I am only able to hear content in Dolby (even Dolby Atmos) with no problems. My Z9X is connected to my TV via HMDI.

HDMI Audio: Raw
    SPDIF Audio: Raw
    Downmix: Off however it seems to me that I shouldn't have to downmix if my soundbar is capable of playing DTS.

I will note that I am able to plug the Z9X to my soundbar via optical cable, switch downmix on, and I can play DTS...and the DTS HD/MA 7.1 ch is downgraded to 5.1..this is not the ideal situation because I would like to hear it in 7.1.

As stated previously, I am playing the files on my Z9X from my Synology NAS utilizing SMB. Should I switch to UPnP or something? Doubt that this will fix my DTS audio playback issue but I thought I just pose the question since I am a total newb at this stuff.

Please help.

Best regards,
    Vinny

Last edited: Feb 9, 2022
  2. AngryVirginian

AngryVirginian Active Member

LG CX does not support passthrough of any DTS via eARC. You will have to connect the Zidoo to the soundbar first.

3. Vinny

Vinny New Member

Okay got it. The question is, how do I view my Z9X on my TV if i plug it into my sound bar?

4. AngryVirginian

Does it have a HDMI out port? If it does not then optical is probably the only solution with the current equipment.

5. Nice Monkey

Nice Monkey Well-Known Member Beta test group

Many TV's don't support DTS. They need to pay an extra license for that.

6. Vinny

Vinny New Member

So...I'll say this...I have spent countless hours researching this issue. Buying several products like Infuse to fix my DTS playback issue in addition to trying several different devices to absolutely no avail. Then..I came across Zidoo thinking my issue would be resolved. Got the Zidoo, spent several hours trying to figure out how to get the DTS play back issue resolved, finally got it to work with the optical cable (though not able to really enjoy DTS MA). Needless to say...deeply disappointed so I settled for using the optical cable initially. But then, over the course of a week or so, I just couldn't stomach that the issue still persisted...so I submit a question here and you answered by telling me to connect my Zidoo to my soundbar, which is something I considered in the past...but my soundbar only has the eARC input and a few more HMDI inputs. So I assumed it would not work if I plugged my Z9X into it...well.....I plugged my Zidoo into my soundbar and my TV still recognized my Z9X through my soundbar...and I can now experience full DTS X/HD/MA 7.1 CH....You Sir...have made me the happiest man on earth.

7. Nice Monkey

@Vinny
    Connecting a media player to an AMP/Soundbar and next via that to a TV is the standard way of connecting. Media Players have no DD/DTS licenses and only support these formats using RAW (Passthrough) output. No license needed for that as it is not handled.

With media players with Dual HDMI output ports (like Zidoo UHD3000) the TV may be connected directly to HDMI Main and the second HDMI port used for Audio Only connected to the AMP or Soundbar. This alternative setup will avoid Video Passthrough limitations of that AMP/Soundbar like 4K or just DV or HDR10+ not being passed.

In fact your soundbar may be lacking DV and/or HDR10+ passthrough?

8. Vinny

Vinny New Member

Got. Now I know. As I said, newbie here, lol. Where can I purchase the UHD 3000? Ali express, Amazon, nor the Zidoo website have it for sale.

9. Nice Monkey

https://www.futeko.com/products/MP110.php
    Stock seems to have been shipped. So should be temporary for all sources.

10. AngryVirginian

The bolded part doesn't make much sense. Why would a soundbar have multiple HDMI inputs and have no HDMI out? Are you sure that the eARC out port does not function as video out as well? What is the model number of your soundbar?

Also, your post is a little unclear. Is it working now?

11. Joe C

Joe C Member

The eARC port on the soundbar will be the output - connect that to HDMI 2 on your LG (which is the eARC port on that), make sure HDMI deep colour is turned on for that HDMI port and that eARC is enabled in the settings menu on the TV.

Plug the Zidoo into one of the HDMI inputs on the soundbar and you'll be all set