Internal HD installation, can someone help me?

Discussion in 'ZIDOO X10' started by Davicom, Oct 11, 2017.

1. Davicom

Davicom Member

So, after two months i bought x10 i can now try a 500HD seagate, just to look if it play. I'm semi-newby in informatic feature: i have read the guide-tutorial by @Nice Monkey about internal hd but it very techinal. I have now hard disk and x10 with hd bay opened. My questions are: 1) I have just to insert it in the bay? I need to remove from hd plastic support or/and metal case?
    Sorry there would seem stupid questions, but i havent "mount" an hd3,5 on a pc
    EDIT i forgot an important thing: i can't format it on a pc, i should open case and maybe get me a sata adapter

Last edited: Oct 11, 2017
  2. Davicom

Davicom Member

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. Nice Monkey

Nice Monkey Well-Known Member Beta test group

Any 3.5 inch HDD will just slide in using the quick loading handle. If it is correctly formatted it should be visible straight away.
    With a 500 GByte HDD any format in fact should work.
    Your attachments are not visible for me?

4. DELUCAS

DELUCAS Well-Known Member

A 3.5 inch sata hard drive just slots in the the bay drawer of the X10

No need for anything to get or buy or take apart .
    Its basically common sense .

5. Davicom

Davicom Member

Oook, firsth thank you. Also for me it isnt visible XD i try so
    https://ibb.co/hVVbAb
    https://ibb.co/fH0MbG
    i don't know if i must remove the metal and the plastic skin.
    About format: you consider that this is an old decoder's hard disk, and i thing it's not formatted in ntfs or fat, but i can't format it in no way before put it into zidoo. There isn't some good formatter software android?

6. HaoSs

HaoSs Well-Known Member

1)you don't remove anything from the HDD, leave it at it is.
    2) android does not have formatting tools for HDD , mostly because there is low interaction between hdd and android ,
    3) see if you have any format options for external device under quick settings> advanced settings ( to get in the android settings ) > storage

if not. just go to a PC repair center, they will format your hdd, ask for NTFS ( GPT prefered, mbr should also work)

7. Davicom

Davicom Member

Ok. Thank you guys, it function now with mbr/ntfs partition. I could have format it into GPT but i never used before this feature so i preferred stay on "old known way"

8. HaoSs

HaoSs Well-Known Member

GPT seems to work better when you have bigger HDD, for your 500 gb, mbr will work just fine

9. Nice Monkey

Nice Monkey Well-Known Member Beta test group

It is a bit stronger than that. MBR does not work at all for any HDD above 2.3 TByte, one must use GPT as MBR simply runs out its 32-bit sector addressing capability using standard 512 byte physical sectors!

HDD's with physical 4K sectors (labelled 4Kn) do exist but are not supported as Internal HDD by any media player I have seen.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2017
  10. Davicom

Davicom Member

i'll remember it in case to hdd higher size buying

11. R2MYD2

R2MYD2 New Member

HI,
    new here and new to the Z1000 scene. Im having trouble trying get my unit to detect any internal HDD. I originally tried a Seagate SSHD 4TB already filled with movies so i was unable to format to try different ways.
    But i purchased a brand new WD Red PRO 14TB, WD141KFGX and tried formatting to NTFS GPT with still no luck in being detected.
    6.3.12_G is the Z1000 firmware.
    Im basically asking, how do i get this hdd to work, please and thank yous. I understand how its supposed to work but because its not its confusing me. Apologies it this isnt the correct place to post about this. I have never used a forum before.
    Ryan

12. HaoSs07

HaoSs07 New Member

acces openwrt box interface through a browser ( on the box or different pc on the same LAN) using the box ip adress and format the HDD using openwrt utility

P.S. you posted this on the wrong section, i don't know if z1000 has openwrt or not like the x10 model, so you may have to search for a way to format the hdd in the box menu,

Last edited: Jul 26, 2021
  13. R2MYD2

R2MYD2 New Member

Thank you for the info. yeah i didnt think this was the right place but as i said, i have never used a forum before lol. Im trying the advice you gave with no luck so far. I cant seem to access the unit through its IP address. Its frustrating cause i know how it SHOULD work. should be quite a simple plug n play process but nothing is working with it at all... Ill keep at it though, thank you!

Balacescu likes this.
  14. HaoSs07

HaoSs07 New Member

it's strange. the HDD already formatted using NTFS GPT should be detected, i had no problem with my HDD on the x10, where did you try to find the HDD ? i don't remember if it shows up under android storage section, but should be able to see it with file explorer under /storage/ directory

15. R2MYD2

R2MYD2 New Member

Yeah.. the hdd isn't showing up anywhere in the device list for me to access it. It's a brand new Z1000pro and I've now tried 2 brand new hdd's. Over $2000 Aussie dollareedoos spent for nothing.... appreciate everyone's back and forth though!!!!

16. HaoSs07

HaoSs07 New Member