Problem with UHD iso when using SMB connection using SMB but not via USB/SATA

Discussion in 'HDD Media player(RTD 1619DR)' started by Thorbjörn Holmberg, May 18, 2021.

1. OK, USB test done. Movie plays perfectly via USB. Actually tried 4 different .iso that does not play over SMB. All plays perfectly via USB. Bandwith OK as I can play .mkv with above 75 Mb/s.

2. Nice Monkey

Nice Monkey Well-Known Member Beta test group

I do agree that a difference in SMB/LAN characteristics triggers the problem but it seems using ISO with this specifically this FW makes it more critical than other conditions and players including older Zidoo players. So it must be a combination of still unknown factors leading to the problem for some.

3. Also indicate which NAS you are using: Qnap TS 1635 AS, 4.5.2 1630
    Also important is to know which SMB version is SMB 3. I don't know a simple way to reveal that myself. I presume the LAN is error free and running at Gigabit (a simple ping will tell that). YES
    Never saw this reported using W10 configured as a SMB server (using defaults with SMBv1 disabled). This could be tried as a temporary bypass too.

4. Nice Monkey

Thanks please change the title. too Only you can do that using Threat Edit on item #1

Last edited: May 19, 2021
  5. Lala77

Lala77 New Member

I tried several different ways and came to the conclusion that Qnap NAS is the weak link for some reason. Skipping the NAS and connecting the HDD directly to the Asus router, playback is perfect. However, I don't understand how the Nvidia Shield, Fire Stick, has no problem with it.
    Sorry for the language errors.

6. Well, it might be the Qnap but why is it working with OPPO 205 and as you said, the Shield. So it is not the Qnap, it is the Zidoo and how it deals with SMB from Qnap. I have tried to set up NFS but that is not working for me (Can not figure out how to set up access) so I can not test that. Have you set up NFS and tested?

7. Nice Monkey

So you are using QNAP NAS too. Please provide the details.

8. Qnap TS 1635 AS, 4.5.2 1630
    SMB 3
    104tb

9. Lala77

Lala77 New Member

Unfortunately, under NFS sharing, Zidoo finds the NAS, but it doesn't find any folders. Otherwise it's a Qnap TS-128A type, SMB 1,2,3, CAT6 cable everywhere.

10. That is exactly my problem too with NFS sharing. It actually finds my folders but there is nothing in them...

Last edited: May 19, 2021
  11. maglione

maglione Member

Last firmware is a hit and miss, with smb and nfs for me, always stutter and freeze in some point in UHD iso or bdmv folder. Previous firmware work always ok in NFS.

12. Maglione, do you use Qnap server too?

Nice Monkey likes this.
  13. rozel

rozel Well-Known Member

In File Manager - left-hand menu, have you searched for either SMB or NFS Shares? I assume you must have - I have no difficulty finding my NFS Shares

14. rozel: I have set up my NFS and have access to all folders but they are all empty. The last step in the folder hierarchy is missing. It should look like this \\nas\folder\movies\moviefolder with files instead it looks like \\nas\folder\movies\ nothing. When I use other NFS with same password it works perfectly so there is no access/ password problem. When it worked fine with SMB I just stoped looking at the problem.

15. rozel

rozel Well-Known Member

Are you saying then that you have "searched" for the "shares" ?

16. Yes, serched and found them but without any folders in the last step.

17. I forgot to answer Nice Monkey about the use of NAS. I have my NAS set up with 104tb in raid and use small parts for my company. It is working like a charm except for this (actually it works like a charm with OPPO 205, but I miss the posterwall and also have it connected mostly for music) The 40tb part is for the UHD/ BR .iso. The rest of the space is .mkv. 12 x 8tb disk + 4 x 2tb SSD.

I have now made a backup of my Music libary and Movie libary. How do I reset so I can insert old firmware to test if that works?

18. rozel

rozel Well-Known Member

I don't know then, sorry

19. maglione

maglione Member

From my Western Digital My Cloud 4TB ethernet to router gigabyte and from my W10 PC, last firmware stutter with audios lost always in files with 4K UHD.

20. Great, so we can rule out that it is just Qnap.