zidoo to show raw image

Discussion in 'ZIDOO Z9S' started by Zurter, Apr 4, 2021.

1. Zurter

Zurter New Member

Hello!

Help me set up my Zidoo player so that Zidoo displays the image in its raw form, that is, it does not process it in any way. I want my TV to do all the video processing (upscaling, etc).

I wrote to service@zidoo.tv and they gave me the following settings:

"Please kindly follow up the setting below:
    Resolution> Auto
    Deep Color>Priority 10bit
    Color Space>Auto
    HDMI range>Auto
    HDR>Auto
    Frame rate>Switch frame rate and resolution"

I correctly followed the instructions but when playing a DVD (720'480) the zidoo dialog window shows that the output mode is still the 1920.

Attached Files:

2. Deano86

Deano86 Active Member

I don't have very many DVD files that I play anymore... but I believe I have noticed the exact same thing. When playing a DVD file, and checking the Zidoo info screen, my Z9s also shows that it is being output at 1920x1080....and obviously I have Frame Rate set for "Switch frame rate and resolution" as well....

3. Zurter

Zurter New Member

Thank you, friend. Yes, today I received a letter from the zidoo support, confirming that there is no way to avoid interfering of the box in video processing. Take it or leave it.

"
    Hi,
    Currently main movies are 1080P and image quality is good.
    Hope you can understand.
    Best regards,
    Zidoo Team".

4. Deano86

Deano86 Active Member

Seems like a strange response, for such a simple request for the Zidoo to output the video file as it was intended according to the selected Frame Rate and Resolution settings.... But, then again I don't believe I am seeing any particular problem with their upscaling implementation per se... but it would be nice to have it go out untouched so you can compare with the performance that your display provides...

5. Zurter

Zurter New Member

Yes, that was exactly what I wanted to do: compare the quality of the upscaling of my TV and the box, respectively.
    I have an old, but still perfect tv: pioneer pdp-lx6090.

Well, I don't think that it's hard for them to tell me, I understood the answer as simply admitting: sorry, there in no way. It's simply impossible.

6. Deano86

Deano86 Active Member

Makes me wonder why Zidoo chooses to output DVD files in this way ? Essentially overiding the purpose of the Frame Rate and Resolution setting..

I wonder though if you literally could force the Zidoo to output your DVD files properly by selecting that Display option of 720x480 and then selecting the Ignore EDID setting... which I believe should lock in that setting for output... this would allow you see what your display does then for upscaling those DVD files....Of course, this would mess with the proper display of your Blu ray files and such unless you go in and switch off Ignore EDID again...

7. Zurter

Zurter New Member

Well, I set the resolution for 480. And the zidoo still shows 1280x720.
    And something strange happened: the video has slightly slowened, it reminded the slowing in a computer game when the pc can't handle the load.

Attached Files:

8. Deano86

Deano86 Active Member

Well, I would say it is what it is then......Forcing that resolution is not what the Zidoo is good at... thus the stutter.. I myself don't have any complaints on what the Zidoo does with upscaling with my relatively few remaining DVD files.. It has to get done somewhere and who's to say that the much newer and more powerful processor in the Zidoo isn't actually much better than the upscaler in your high quality but comparatively old display.

9. Markswift2003

Markswift2003 Well-Known Member SUPER Administrator Beta test group Contributor

The problem is not the Zidoo, it's that the HDMI spec only allows for 50i at 720x576 and 60i at for 720x480 SD resolutions.

The video you show is 29.970fps so rather than mess with the frame rate, the Zidoo is showing it at a supported resolution.

The frame rate is 59.940fps but that's fine since it's exactly double (I assume the video is interlaced?)

upload_2021-4-7_14-16-39.png

10. Stefano C

Stefano C Member

I asked the same things because I am alterning my zidoo with plex/emby and the raw image it would be very usefull, especially with included full subtitles support (sometimes with plex/emby subtitles support in hdr movies or when playing a file which requires audio transcoding is yet a problem with media servers).