Updating HDD scans everything all over again

Discussion in 'HDD Media player(RTD 1619DR)' started by Kurt, Mar 31, 2021.

1. Kurt

Kurt Member

If you right click on a source, there is an option to 'update'.
    Instead of updating only new movies, it will remove all the movie count on the HDD to zero, then start scanning again.

Update means it should only scan for new files and not start all over again.

(Z10Pro & 16TB HDD)

2. OlivierQC

OlivierQC Well-Known Member

When you add a video file it scans it automatically, no need to do an update of your source.

And there is nothing wrong with the fact that it will re-scan your source when you decide to re-scan it for an update.

3. Kurt

Kurt Member

Update means update, rescan means rescan. they are 2 different things.

When you click on update, and the movie count goes from 7000 to zero and starts all over again, that is NOT an update.

sojer2005 likes this.
  4. DennisTheMenace

DennisTheMenace Active Member

It is not a complete rescan, it searches for new and or deleted files, it is much faster than the first scan because it don't have to download or handle the artwork that is already in your library

Have you changed the nfo's or something like that?

5. Kurt

Kurt Member

Then why does the movie count start all over again at zero?
    Why does the graphic start and run all over again starting at the beginning?

6. DennisTheMenace

I don't know but the update of a 6 tb hard drive takes only 4 seconds for me.

Edit: I mean the automatic update that runs when a new video file is detected

7. Kurt

Kurt Member

I seen that with a 4TB HDD, where it is very fast.

I am not sure if it is the number of files or the size of the HDD
    In my case, 16TB with 7000 plus movies.

The point I am trying to make is the movie counter should not start all over again, as well as the graphic.
    Just the new movies should be added, then the 'update' is done, and the scanning should stop.
    All the previous movies should have been stored into memory so a re-scan would not be needed.

DennisTheMenace likes this.
  8. DennisTheMenace

I think it's the number of files that 6 tb hd where are my TV shows are stored on takes longer.