Dolby Vision "bt2020"- realtek 1619 bug??

Discussion in 'HDD Media player(RTD 1619DR)' started by vestedinterest, Oct 16, 2022.

1. vestedinterest

vestedinterest New Member

Hi, I apologize in advance for this standalone thread but have asked this question on other forums and has yet to find an answer.

On these RTD1619(particularly Z9X), are all Dolby vision contents in 'bt2020'? My friend Z9X shows 'Dolby Vision BT2020' on the info bar on his lg oled c6 tv every time DV contents is played.

Is this normal as I read on mkvforum that the Z9X has BT2020 flag on DV which gives inaccurate pictures.

In contrast, my MINIX U22 XJ-Max (Amlogic device) never has the BT2020 flag on DV contents and the colours are more deeper but more accurate in my eyes compared to the more brighter but mellowy colors on the z9x.

Many thanks.

2. Markswift2003

Markswift2003 Well-Known Member SUPER Administrator Beta test group Contributor

It doesn't matter either way.

For TV Led Dolby Vision, when the display processes the tunnel data the flag is irrelevant - it's not part of the process - essentially it's ignored.

For Player Led Dolby Vision, everything is processed by the player and output in effectively the same way as HDR10.

In both cases, the display colour primaries are defined in the Dolby VSDB in the EDID.

3. Phil181

Phil181 Active Member

I suggest you use MediaInfo to examine your files. You should find HDR10, HDR10+ are encoded BT.2020 and for DV combined with HDR10 or HDR10+ are also BT.2020
    Standalone DV video without any HDR compatibility encoding (like some TV episodes) are often not. Perhaps your friend is playing DV movies?

Not sure of the accuracy for your source of information concerning video with BT.2020

4. Markswift2003

That's only the base layer for Profile 7 & 8.1 and not really relevant to how Dolby Vision is processed.

The "TV Episodes" you're referring to will be Profile 5 and encoded in IPT (not to be confused with ITP) which is a completely different, constant hue, colour space.

5. vestedinterest

I am not technical in DV stuff so forgive me but what does this mean:
    *send incorrectly a bt2020 flag with TV-LED mode
    causing some color innacuracy.

And what is the best settings for DV?

Is there no way to remove the bt2020 flag? If not and what you're saying is this normal then 1619 chip DV is not accurate in my eyes.

6. vestedinterest

So when you play any DV material, what is the info bar shows? Theirs shows "Dolby Vision (2160or1080) BT2020". But when I play any DV on my minix no "BT2020" info is ever shown. Note both our tv are lg oled.

7. Markswift2003

Honestly, don't worry about it - the DV processor doesn't care whether there's a BT.2020 "flag" or not.

8. vestedinterest

That's the thing, want to buy a Z9X, but my amlogic minix u22xj max/lg oled c6 internal player has same pic quality with DV more colourful than the Z9x so I thought hmm maybe the difference is this bt2020 flag, so we have been trying to remove this bt2020 via settings for tv-led dv but no luck.

Please can you tell me the best settings to get direct tv led for lg oled on the z9x?

Many thanks

9. Markswift2003

There are no "best" settings - it depends on your requirements - do you want to convert all content to Dolby Vision, just Dolby Vision content, HDR10 and Dolby Vision content? - it depends what you want to do.

Assuming you want all content native set HDR to AUTO.

For TV Led output, set Dolby Vision Compatibility to TV LED.

10. vestedinterest

Possible bug ? Because there is no "bt2020" in the infobar(top left) when we play DV files on our oppo203 or minix u22, just "Dolby vision" with resolution/sound format.

Can any realtek 1619 owners with an lg oled tv check their infobar(top left-with magic remote) when playing dv files. Because I believe this makes DV colors look wrong and we can investigate further and report it to Zidoo developers.

Many thanks.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2022
  11. mattmarsden

mattmarsden Active Member

Can you try with player led and see if there is a difference?

12. vestedinterest

Yes tried that, No difference unfortunately:(

13. vestedinterest

Ok guys here's a more prominent test, don't use apple TV (their DV is whack I.e fake p5 etc), instead if you don't have a reference player like the oppo203/Sony x7/800, then use lg oled or any DV TV own internal player and try this file below and tell me the difference between that and the z9x.

1. Testfile: "P81_GlassBlowing2_3840x2160@59_94fps_15200kbps." from https://developer.dolby.com/tools-media/sample-media/video-streams/dolby-vision-streams/

2. Played file in lg c6 internal player/oppo203/MINIX u22: Colours look normally vibrant, TV info says: Dolby Vision, Colour space RGB, Bit depth 8bit, Pixel format RGB

3. Played file on Z9X
    3a. TV Led: Colours look too red, TV info says: Dolby Vision, BT.2020, 8bit, RGB
    3b. Player Led: Colours look way too red, TV info says: Dolby Vision, BT.2020, 12bit, 422.

14. mattmarsden

So on my LG C9 the dolby file plays in HDR but plays in DV from the Zidoo. Colours look near identical on both so I think it may be a problem with how the C6 handles it. Not saying its not an issue with how the Zidoo flags it but the C9 seems to be able to work around it.

15. vestedinterest

Yep you could be right, thanks for checking, I appreciate it.

16. Gelto

Gelto Member

You're not alone; the exact same happens on my setup with a Philips 55PUS7304 TV: Colours look normal when the file is played on the TV itself or via an X700, but way oversaturated in red with the Z9X (both Player led or TV led) - with the same respective media info on TV as quoted above.

Already discussed this with Mark a while ago; it seems the only thing I can do for remediation is tone down the colours for the Z9X input on the TV. Still I very much like my Z9X :)

vestedinterest likes this.
  17. vestedinterest

Thanks, I will have to try that route and adjust the colours.

18. mattmarsden

Something like an HD Fury might be able remove the BT2020 flag.

19. vestedinterest

What settings to fine tune the colours? Thanks

20. vestedinterest

Yes good suggestion, thanks.