Zidoo Z1000 Pro – My High Definition Audio Experience (so far)

Discussion in 'HDD Media player(RTD 1619DR)' started by rozel, Feb 22, 2021.

Tags:
  1. Nice Monkey

Nice Monkey Well-Known Member Beta test group

Did all my original reporting based on DSD64 not higher rates.

If UAPP displays sources as DSD256 and DSD512 at the bottom but Output as PCM 352.8 KHz then it did find the DAC not to be supporting these high DSD rates and changes to PCM.

I would expect results using UAPP to be the same using a tablet or Zidoo Android but one can never be sure.
    Zidoo will accept exFAT, FAT32 or NTFS

2. CGI

CGI Member

Hi ,
    I agree with what Nice Monkey says above.
    long story short - your DAC, with the Amanero COMBO384 does not support native DSD; proof:
    reference - https://www.amanero.com/drivers/combo384-D.pdf

it is written:

The DSD over USB format is detected when PCM sample with an alternate sequence of 32 FA05 token in the MSB part is received. The DSD managed frequencies are 2.822 Mhz, 3.072 Mhz, 5.644 Mhz, 6.144 Mhz. With ASIO Driver http://www.amanero.com/asio it's possible to play native DSD extending the range to DSD256 and DSD512.

And this is exactly DoP - encapsulating DSD in PCM and recognizing it by 32 FA05 token in the MSB part, then de-capsulating it to DSD
    I do not think that the Amanero guys will miss to brag out if they supported native DSD :)

that is why, not recognizing the DAC capable of Native DSD it turns to DoP, and plays up to 384 which is the highest bandwidth, the DAC supports for playing DSD 128.

Would not bother as:
    - rips over DSD 64 are rare
    - no audible difference above DSD 64 (except for some super -doper vinyl rips :), though I doubt )
    - no audible diff b/n Native DSD and DoP

though I would rather (an i have done) install UAPP on my z1000pro, rather on a tablet or a phone and use local storage for playing HiRes formats through USB DAC connected to z1000pro. Do not like NASs (very low WAF) DNLA/UPNP, and I am pretty sure you'll have better results - to be honest - that's why i bought z100pro - for the internal HDD bay and ext SATA ability directly to it.

3. rozel

rozel Active Member

An update.............................

I have confirmed that what @CGI has said is 100% correct. Once I knew that my Amanero COMBO384 was limiting my DAC to DoP and DSD64 and DSD128 playing via my Zidoo, to extend the range I'd need to look at a Windows alternative - UAPP, Hiby Music Player and a host of other Android players would not change this in any way shape or form. Of course I have explored these, complete fun until you reach the same end result. There may be other USB Cards out there which would plug in to my DAC's motherboard and provide higher sampling rates, but my searches have not produced any results so far.

Thinking about things, there maybe limitations placed on my DAC on the way I'm trying to play my DSD files. First I have them stored on a NAS and playing over Ethernet may restrict. Secondly my Zidoo Z1000 Pro maybe doing the same. If one or both are restricting the range, then they are limiting to the SAME extent - ie; they allow playback to DSD128 over DoP only. I have read much about people who have similar issues but have read nothing about how to overcome them.

But DSD64 and DSD128 playback on my DAC is quite superb but I will say now, and amplify later, that I can definately hear a significant difference between DSD64 and DSD128. Because of this therefore, you will understand that I need to explore DSD256 & DSD512 separately. This will not therefore involve my Zidoo or TV until someone more experienced can tell me otherwise.

So how does one play DSD stuff via Windows? Well of course Foobar 2000! I have used this program on my PC for many years. But as my PC is in a room far away from my HomeTheatre Setup, USB connection to my DAC isn't practicable. So I twisted my daughter's arm, promised her an arm and a leg and she's allowed me to use her Windows 10 Laptop :) I set this up for her a year or so ago - an i5 Lenovo Thinkpad running the latest Windows 10 OS 64-bit. I started off by getting a large (250Gb) Memory Stick and having found the 2-part "Foobar 2000 Dummies Guide", printing this off and reading through it carefully. I had some knowledge of how to fettle the preferences as I play my DSD files stored on my NAS via my PC's sound card through the itsy bitsy speakers connected to it. As such I have never been bothered to test out Foobar's capabilities until about a week ago, when I was ready to give it a go on the Laptop.

Cutting a long story short, it took me from last Tuesday until last night to have any success but success, I had! There were quite a few programs (Foobar components) and drivers to download and quite a lot of complex adjustments. As you may guess once I got sound through the external USB DAC, initially it was limited to DSD128 lol! I did notice though definate clarity and further Sound Quality improvements. So spurred on by this, I investigated further how to get DSD256 and maybe DSD512 to playback. By now you'll know I'm a dog without a bone and didn't give up - I tinkered so much with the endless settings in Foobar 2000 (it's not for the faint hearted) that I really didn't think I'd get anywhere. So back to the Dummies Guide until I spotted a setting in the AISO driver 's Output and suddenly the music I was playing took on a different level! Wow! It sounded so good. So then I tried to play a couple of DSD256's and yes! They played back astoundingly. I followed this up with a DSD512 file (a solo concert piano piece) and was just blown away by the quality. Magnificent is all I can say!

So to say there's no difference between DSD64 or DSD128, let alone DSD256 and DSD512 is like saying you cannot be bothered trying to find out, your system is stuck on a limit and you are not going to investigate further - sorry guys, but that is how I feel right now but happy I'm making serious progress. AND more importantly the help given to me by @Nice Monkey and @CGI - THANK YOU!

I have no idea if I could fettle some more to get the same music playback at full range via my NAS, I doubt it, but I am currently clearing a powered external 700Gb drive to which I'll transfer a lot of my DSD / SACD files, on the basis that if I can get excellent results from my memory stick then I certainly will via an external HDD. Once I have got used to setting up the Laptop for quick playback, I'll look further into quite a few things that I haven't explored as yet.

I've asked (and waiting) what are the exact model numbers of the Internal DACs that Zidoo employ in the Z1000Pro and the UHD3000. I cannot say whether the UHD3000 does a better job than the Z1000 Pro because I don't own one but my Zidoo it seems is just not up to the High Definition output that true Audiophiles like me seek. Sad really as I was sold my Zidoo on the basis it was a "HiFi" model. But very pleased with my External USB DAC now and still learning so much.

A couple of images showing what my DAC is receiving when playing the higher definition DSD files.

20210322_170719.jpg 20210322_165252.jpg

4. Nice Monkey

Nice Monkey Well-Known Member Beta test group

First of all my congratulations to get it to work with Windows drivers. Good to share the results.:)
    Not going to do try it myself. Moved instead more into the direction of MCH Music Playback. That gave me a whole new dimension added. ;)

No Z1000 Pro is nowhere advertised as a HiFi model as far as I am aware of but yes as a High End model. This may be confusing? High End models get the fancy Black GUI and the BTv8 remote bundled. HiFi models are having an additional DAC panel board and thus far released are X20 Pro, UHD2000 and UHD3000 models.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2021