A6 newbie questions

Discussion in 'Eversolo DMP-A6' started by NealS, Nov 29, 2023.

1. NealS

NealS New Member

Thinking of getting an A6. Have some questions.

1. Can load a different internet radio app, like vTuner or similar on to the A6?
    2. If a USB CD drive is connected to the A6 can it play music CDs without first rippping them?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2023
  2. Jjb067

Jjb067 Active Member

You can sideload apks into the A6, various people have tried different internet radios by this route, don't know specifically about Tuner. As regards playing CDs without ripping them, then yes you can with the recent firmware updates this issue is now much better behaved. Some people are still reporting some issues with their external optical drives, so some models may not work with the A6.

NealS likes this.
  3. NealS

NealS New Member

Thanks for the response. I was thinking of vTuner. Now edited and corrected in my original post.
    Is there a master list anywhere of supported optical drives ?

4. Jjb067

Jjb067 Active Member

There have been requests from posters on this forum about such a list, but I have never seen one. Perhaps message Zidoo direct. I use a model GP57 from Hitachi-LG and it has worked no problems for both ripping and playing.

5. audio58

audio58 Active Member

A USB drive will work. I have an LG, no issues.

6. NealS

NealS New Member

Thank you all. Anyone tried an Apple SuperDrive?

7. Nutul

Nutul Well-Known Member

It's Apple... if it works, OK, if not, I believe there is little to zero chance Eversolo will try to support it.

8. NealS

NealS New Member

The Apple SuperDrive is just an external USB drive. it’s if fairly common device. Just thought I’d ask in case someone has used this successfully.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2023
  9. Inti

Inti Active Member

I think that it worked for som if I’m not wrong?

10. ammar11

ammar11 Well-Known Member

I seen most people has good results with the SuperDrive, in some forums it is even recommended.

11. Nutul

Nutul Well-Known Member

Yes, I remember something in the lines... but, was it about ripping, or also playing (I think this is what we are discussing now...)

12. Bergholdt

Bergholdt Well-Known Member

The very cheap drive I purchased in August did not work very well with the A6 back then but I could use it to rip 1000+ albums attached to my labtop.

But some days ago, I could rip 8 hybrid SACDs with it attached to the A6 and got FLAC MQA files from it (dual disc sets incl. Blu-ray from the 2L label in Norway).

It worked fine but only one album was recognised online, so I had to type all the info manually.

So, at the moment the problem is more with the database they use to retrieve info from CDs…

IMG_0116.png

13. Nutul

Nutul Well-Known Member

That is an MQA-CD, right? As... there is no way you can encode MQA.

14. Bergholdt

It’s this one. My knowledge of hybrid CDs and MQA is not too good, so I’ll let you do the research…

But it does say MQA CD (Disc 1)…

IMG_0118.png

Last edited: Nov 30, 2023
  15. Nutul

Nutul Well-Known Member

Yes, it's a MQA-CD.
    Well, that's one of the many formats the two-disc set offers.

16. Bergholdt

Yes, I got it mostly for the Dolby Atmos TrueHD on Blu-ray (I use an Xbox Series X as Blu-ray player).

The recording quality is very good but you do need to enjoy choir / classical music to like the 2L productions :)

17. Nutul

Nutul Well-Known Member

Yes, that's a good thing.

Which I don't. ;-)