Access from Windows PC to the usb disk

Discussion in 'ZIDOO X9S' started by c3po, Mar 14, 2018.

1. c3po

c3po New Member

Hello,
    from time to time I want to copy some files to the USB harddisk which is connected to my Zidoo X9S. Is this possible over a network connect? For example a SMB share in the X9S with access from my PC. I don't want to remove the USB harddisk from the x9s and connect it to my PC.
    I am a newbie with the X9S and don't have any knowledge about it.

2. Sarco

Sarco Active Member Beta test group

Go to android setting, select "more" then "Openwrt Settings" and activate "Samba Server". Restart your device, now you should be able to access X9S via network from PC.

3. JohnS

JohnS Member

You have to enable smb shares from openwrt. Go to http://zidooip/cgi-bin/luci (its the openwrt GUI) enable samba shares (as in photo) and then in your windows you will see your usb drive and have access to it

Attached Files:

floydo likes this.
  4. c3po

c3po New Member

Thank you for your reply. Now I can see openwrt in my windows explorer and my usb harddisk. But when I try to open the disk I must input a user and a password. When I try root and my password for root I get the messages "access denied". In the samba settings I have allowed root for the access.

Attached Files:

5. JohnS

JohnS Member

Have you tried login as guest? I'm using a guest account and have no problems. I configured like in pictures

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 15, 2018
  6. c3po

c3po New Member

I have tried now with guest, but Windows wants a password. I have tried "guest" or empty password, same as before "access denied". I don't have found any settings to change the password for the user guest. Has the user guest a password?

7. JohnS

JohnS Member

No guest has no password

8. JohnS

JohnS Member

Configure as I did

9. c3po

c3po New Member

Thank you JohnS, now it works. I have configured it like you (remove root from allowed user).

10. JohnS

JohnS Member

Glad I helped!

11. Gwadalolo

Gwadalolo New Member

In terms of security it's better to have user/password and not guest, particularly if exposed on your WiFi network...

12. 3DBuff

3DBuff Well-Known Member

How would I go about setting up user / password for SMB drive on Zidoo?
    I can't find users table. Would log in as "root" be the only option to secure SMB drive?

13. HaoSs

HaoSs Well-Known Member

3DBuff likes this.
  14. 3DBuff

3DBuff Well-Known Member

^ Thanks for pointing it out @HaoSs. I'll try to set it up when I get some time. It doesn't look too bad. Looks like add a line with username to /etc/passwd config file and set up password on the command line. I'm not a Linux expert but should be able to handle that :) I'll post it here if it worked.

Last edited: May 14, 2018
  15. floydo

floydo New Member

I had a very difficult time after configuring Samba per the guides and couldn't see the Zidoo on the network, or by putting in the IP address mapping the Zidoo even though I could login to Zidoo per JohnS comment. The magical success was when I mapped to the mounted drive on the Zidoo...ie zidooip\Disk_sda2 adding the mounted drive...maybe I just missed this, but hope it helps someone else....

16. okmm

okmm New Member

Hi there!
    I also have an issue with network access to Zidoo X9s USB drive from Win 10 PC.
    Zidoo fixed IP is 192.168.1.205.
    Samba config is on the screenshot.
    When I'm trying to map network drive \\192.168.1.205\Disk_sda1 - I receive a message that windows can't connect to the path entered.
    In Luci interface I see that the samba service is running.
    When I go to the android settings on the device -I see that Samba switcher is switched off. I switch it on, exit the menu and when I reopen the menu (after reboot or immediately) the switcher again is switched off.
    Luci and Transmission interface works fine generally - through web browser or through the Transmission app (PC/mobile).

Any suggestions how to fix it?
    Thanks in advance.

Attached Files:

17. 3DBuff

3DBuff Well-Known Member

Before you map any drive just look what Zidoo has to offer. Type in the Windows 10 file explorer header \\192.168.1.205
    Check what shows up and explore drives. Sometime the names are not maintained as you would expect.
    Once you find the drive you are looking for just copy the name again with drive path from the file explorer into mapping window.

18. okmm

okmm New Member

Thanks for your reply.
    I receive an error: windows can't get access to the path \\192.168.1.205
    Error 0x80070035 - network path hasn't been found.

19. 3DBuff

3DBuff Well-Known Member

I have X9S and my system could be a bit different. Try Settings > Wireless & Networks > More > Openwrt Settings > Samba Server ON
    In OpenWRT web page config (your picture) I have Samba Enabled check above list of drives. I have 7 drives in the list and I can see 6 of them using \\Hostname. Right above the list is field Hostname. You can name your Zidoo there like Z9S or something similar. This will allow you to call your device as \\Z9S instead of IP address. Check your IP again. Don't bother mapping unless you see your drive using \\IP or \\Hostname.

Good luck

20. okmm

okmm New Member

Unfortunately, I have some issues with this step: