BBC iplayer downloads

Discussion in 'ZIDOO X9S' started by grapenose, Apr 14, 2017.

1. grapenose

grapenose Member

Hi,
    Does anyone know if the Zidoo 9XS is able to download BBC iplayer programs, using the Android App.
    It should stream OK but some Android machines cannot download.

2. teg

teg New Member

Yes the BBC iPlayer Android app installs and works correctly. You can then set up to stream (which is the default for any programme you would like to watch or set to download and then play).

3. grapenose

grapenose Member

Thank you for your reply.
    I have a Minix that until 6 months ago could download iplayer programs.
    According to the BBC iplayer web site some Android boxes can no longer download and they are working on a fix.
    Can you confirm that you are able to download programs.
    Geoff

4. teg

teg New Member

I cannot talk for the Minix. I can only tell from my experience on the Zidoo X9s. The BBC iPlayer app works and I can download shows to watch later or stream automatically as the default. Are you in the UK or have you got a VPN to connect you via a UK based IP address?

5. grapenose

grapenose Member

In Australia with a Smart DNS which works for all UK TV. Able to download All 4 content.
    Thanks for the info, that's what I needed to know before I bought one.
    Geoff

6. teg

teg New Member

I use PIA which has an Android app. I have this launch on boot when I switch on my X9S and it connects to the VPN before I start using the player. Smart DNS must have similar software or you can set up the DNS settings in the network connection settings. Good luck.

7. grapenose

grapenose Member

Have ordered a box from Geekbuying.

8. grapenose

grapenose Member

New box arrived but not able to download programs from BBC iplayer.
    Also not able to get All 4 to work as the app seems to think the box is rooted.See thread on how to unroot.
    Not very happy as I bought the box primarily for those reasons.

9. teg

teg New Member

The reason you cannot download programmes is because you are based outside the UK. Can you confirm you have VPN or your Smart DNS working on the X9S to give you a UK based IP address? Are you able to stream?

There was an issue with All 4 recently but after an update, I was able to watch programmes (stream only - there was no option to download in the Android app)

I highly recommend PIA (Private Internet Access). They have an Android app, which you can set to launch at boot and connect and then this should solve your problems but unsure how the Smart DNS works in Australia.

Also please note that the BBC will soon make iPlayer sign in only, so you will need to have a BBC iD and potentially a UK address. Of course, there are ways around this but I wanted to give you early warning.

Last edited: May 11, 2017
  10. grapenose

grapenose Member

I have two other android box 's . A Minix Neo Xh-8 which hides my ethernet connection, this works fine for All 4 and I can download programs, however I cannot download BBC programs, just stream. I am using DNS4me .
    The other box is a rooted Tronsmart RG68. Using a a hide my root app I was able to get All 4 up and running but only through the Wi-Fi which is rubbish on this box.
    So far I have no luck with the Zidoo. I get the message that the box is incompatible for All 4.BBC works fine for streaming.
    The only difference that I can see is that the Zidoo fails the SafetyNet and CTS test.
    The other box's pass the SafetyNet test but fail the CTS test
    https://www.howtogeek.com/241012/sa...y-and-other-apps-dont-work-on-rooted-devices/

11. grapenose

grapenose Member

Have just installed the latest firmware 2.0.15 and I can now download BBC iplayer content.
    Haven't checked if it works on All 4.
    Still does not work on All 4,I get a message that the box is rooted.

Last edited: May 9, 2018