Wallpaper issue and kodi issue

Discussion in 'ZIDOO X6 Pro' started by Spiros, May 26, 2017.

1. Spiros

Spiros New Member

Hi,

I just purchased the box and got it updated to the latest .45 version.

There are a couple of things that I find annoying/problematic, has anyone found any solutions for that?

A) I prefer to have a background so I tried Google Now and APEX launchers. They work, but the background image that I set (1080p, and box running on 1080p too) is displayed only partially as a wallpaper background, with about 1/4th or even lower resolution, and it looks terrible.

B) Many addons don't install on ZDMC because they recognize it as an Isengard build (v15) even though in the system info it shows 16.1

C) When I install some apps from Google store, the other store app wants to update them on a newer (non-official) version, and acquire many more permissions for them - which is quite scary for safety, and makes me concerned on whether the custom updates will be running anything dodgy or not...

I haven't had the above issues with some other boxes I had used on the past (same chipset, but not Zidoo - not mentioning them here, to avoid comparisons etc), so I am a bit frustrated from the box cause my expectations were higher (I paid more for that compared to other options, cause I read many reviews that the box has much better support/updates - but so far it doesn't look like it)

2. nice159

nice159 Active Member

Bro this box died 6 months ago. Never worked as it was advertised (Like every other Zidoo box).
    You were fooled (like me too) with those fake ass paid reviews. Overpriced junk.
    Support sucks big time from day one. They provide useless crap updates and call that long term support. Beware of the fake contributors here. For them this box print money and everything is fantastic. Return the box ASAP.

3. Spiros

Spiros New Member

Thanks bro - yes I also bought it cause of the great reviews up there, but once I got the box and started using it I begun to doubt about them - that's why I posted here.
    Definitely, I will try to return it. I bought it from GeekBuying, and there is a 7-day dislike return period, which I hope they will honor.

4. HaoSs

HaoSs Well-Known Member

5. Spiros

Spiros New Member

Wallpaper is the least of my problems - I put that first hoping there would be an easy fix... :)

My main concern is (B) and (C) points above (in my first post).
    I need the box mainly for Kodi (I care less for 3D and passthrough, although I use them sometimes), and secondarily for YouTube, torrents, and some other apps from google play. I believe that should match the average home user requirements.
    Many of the Kodi addons I want to use, don't even come up in the repo with X6 Pro kodi (which says 16.1 but most likely it is forked from 15.x and these add-ons are not 15.x compatible), while I can install/use the same addons on the other box that I have (which runs 16.3 RKMC).
    Same with the apps I need to install, this box installs 'newer' versions from Aptoide, with many additional permissions - that's obviously not good at all.

Many thanks for the links!
    It is such a mess to pick the right box, with all these companies and the fake reviews out there.
    I have been using a Tronsmart R68 meta for the last 1+ year (did not find many reviews, and the ones I found are negative because of issues that have already been fixed for more than a year now by firmware releases), and it has been so far a much smoother ride than this X6 Pro box (which had great reviews, but looks like crap to me from the first couple of days of using it).

I contacted GeekBuying for a return (within their 7day dislike period) but they have been very slow and completely out of context on their replies so far. Hopefully they will resolve this in a honorable manner...

6. nice159

nice159 Active Member

@HaoSs Kodi was the first thing users bought this box for. Like you don't know that? And Zidoo left us behind after only 6 months. So this overpriced junk was left without any support after the new model came out. Zidoo only upgrade their box models (every 6 months) and support for older models stop right there. Not to mention cheaper boxes from other companies already received Android upgrade. And Zidoo still advertise their long term support. This is a LIE and make me mad in the first place. Like some fake beta testers here on Zidoo defence posting shit all the time.

7. nice159

nice159 Active Member

@Spiros bro just read changelists from last few updates. Pure bullshit nothing else.
    Don't have the time right now but I will start some threads here on every forum to inform new buyers about Zidoo products and support that don't exist.

8. HaoSs

HaoSs Well-Known Member

@Spiros , to be honest i have no idea why they included aptoid, i never used it myself, just uninstalled the thing,
    i'm also unfamiliar with addons reporting zdmc as 15.x , first time i read of this problem, i did not install allot of addons tho, my media was on external hdd, and used a andrid app to samba share the external HDD, moved content trough LAN.
    As for GeekBuying, just tell them you want to return it, there is nothing to discuss, you don't need a reason.

@nice159 I agree with the update part,x6 pro fells a little left behind, there are still things the box can get up to date on, i don't know zidoo stance on this subject tho. As of " fake beta testers here on Zidoo defence posting shit all the time ", . Beta testers is just a group that has access to a beta forum, the last beta firmware was 1.3.0 and was public, basically anyone can become a beta tester if they ask, not much to do at the moment with it tho. If they defend zidoo in any way is because they want, beta test has no attachment to that statement, there are people out there that are happy with zidoo products and the way they operate.

"Don't have the time right now but I will start some threads here on every forum to inform new buyers about Zidoo products and support that don't exist."
    Just that you know, i will probably delete them, this is a support forum and spamming every forum with the same thread that has nothing to do with the box in question will not be OK.

9. Spiros

Spiros New Member

guys, please take it easy - let's not turn this thread into an arena :)

@HaoSs : I will try to uninstall the Aptoide and reinstall the google play apps, in case it helps with point (C)

@HaoSs :
    >> my media was on external hdd...
    If you just use the box to play local media you don't need Kodi much. The power of Kodi comes from the add-ons you can install on that (mainly to stream content, but for other stuff too). I found that quite a few addons have the issue I mentioned (don't even get listed within their repos for installation).

@nice159 : I thought that rolling out so many firmware updates (.19 to .45) should show that box has good and responsive support, but it is obviously not the case, I agree with you.

@HaoSs:
    >> As for GeekBuying, just tell them you want to return it, there is nothing to discuss, you don't need a reason.
    That's right, I did it several days ago, but they are slow to respond (their response time is several days every time - and we are approaching the 7days deadline) and they pretend they are not getting my request:
    ME:
    I am unhappy with the Zidoo X6 Pro item, and I would like to return it.
    Please advise what the process would be.

THEM:
    Could you tell us more detail about it , pls ? how it can not work ?
    In order to solve your problem properly, could you send us some pictures to show your problem?
    Or could you please send us a video to show your problem? please upload the video to the website youtube, then tell us a link so that we can watch it and then we can offer further help.

I want to believe they are not doing that on purpose to avoid their 7day dislike return term..

Last edited: May 29, 2017
  10. HaoSs

HaoSs Well-Known Member

we are chill, don't wary.

First time i tested kodi was on a windows PC. i got a external HDD from the start. just because i was not happy with kodi streaming apps,95% of them are illegal and just stop working after a while, not to mention the quality is bad, can't sub a streamed content, they work half the time,kodi don't endorse using them.. I mention this because if your plan is to stream from addons movies, even if you change the box, things will not get much better. Kodi itself is pushing against those addons.

Give NODI a try, a forked kodi 17.1 that some reporting working good on x6 pro

11. Spiros

Spiros New Member

As I already mentioned, I have been using these addons without any issues on an older box of mine that has exactly the same chipset (and runs RKMC 16.3, with lastly updated firmware and RKMC at July 2016) without any issues at all.
    Also, not all addons are illegal.
    As for Nodi, I have read some other threads in here about it, but I was hesitant to spend time on it as other members reported issues with that one too.

12. HaoSs

HaoSs Well-Known Member

are you sure it same rockchip 3368 ?. Anyway, you should be able to actually remove zdmc/or install next to it RKMC 16.3 , if its build for rockchip , chip number should not matter

13. Spiros

Spiros New Member

yes. product is tronsmart R68 meta
    >> Rockchip RK3368 Octa Core CPU
    Came with RKMC pre-installed, so not sure how to install it.
    I will have to dig to find out the package and test if it installs/works fine on the X6 Pro.

14. HaoSs

HaoSs Well-Known Member

You can find it on github. Instructions to install are also there.

15. HaoSs

HaoSs Well-Known Member

16. Spiros

Spiros New Member

I can't spend any more time trying to resolve these issues with hacks. They should be selling a product that can work properly/as advertised.
    Geekbyuing has disappeared on my "return+refund" request, and I found several other forums in the internet with complaints that GeekBuying doesn't honor its return/refund terms listed/advertised on the website.
    I will try to open a case in PayPal in case I can get my money back for this scam. What I am definitely not going to get back is all my time that I spent on this.
    Hopefully my post can save that time and money of other potential buyers that will read this before they purchase...

nice159 likes this.
  17. HaoSs

HaoSs Well-Known Member

i actually enjoy the tinkering/hacking part. Android was designed for phones,having the ability to try different options is a + in most cases,
    if you want true plug and play, get a box with androidTV on it. like the shield, or a intelNUC.

18. nice159

nice159 Active Member

Or just try to get what was advertised in the first place. Right @HaoSs? I hate those moneygrabbers. And Zidoo company is a joke. New funny device every 6 months. Fake advertisment and overpriced junk with no support.

19. HaoSs

HaoSs Well-Known Member

Depends, every user wants something different, if you are ok with using zidoo media player you will get good playback. I did proper research before getting a zidoo product, you can actually find a essay i wrote, that is 100% true. i got a zidoo x6 pro that i even use to this day, it plays 1080p movies over samba share on my other TV. There is no PERFECT player. even the nvidia shield has his old bugs that no dev will touch, and unless you go for a lastgen expensive intel NUC, you will hit a wall of decoding capability's on that as well. I don't think you can blame it all on zidoo, the info is out there, tons of proper reviews you can find, especially on kodi forum, there is a whole discussion on kodi dropping support for rockchip.

there is also the matter of zidoo getting kicked in to the b$$ls by rockchip. They sold the chip to zidoo with 10bit capability, was later discover it was a hardware problem, and the chip can't play proper 10 bit... There are 3 options in this case,
    1) ignore it
    2) acknowledge it
    3) do a total recall ( take the money hit and in zidoo case probably close the company )

what you would have done ?

20. Spiros

Spiros New Member

@HaoSs :
    >> if you want true plug and play, get a box with androidTV on it. like the shield, or a intelNUC
    The other RK box I have bought, has been completely/fully/truly plug and play. Everything works smoothly out of the box. I didn't need to go for an Nvidia or Intel solution.
    And the reason I bought this instead of the same old box that I had, is because I believed what Zidoo was advertising for it and what the (fake) great reviews said about the product. And trust me, I am not referring to the 10-bit issue, I don't care about that - I care about all the rest more important issues on the box (as already mentioned above).

>> i actually enjoy the tinkering/hacking part
    You might do, bust most people buy a product to actually use it out of the box and to hack it in order to get it to a "workable" state.