What will $150 AppleTV do to media boxes?

Discussion in 'ZIDOO X9' started by DG1, Sep 11, 2015.

1. DG1

DG1 New Member

The west is increasingly cutting traditional TV cables, and the new AppleTV makes it easy and intuitive at an attractive price. It also has a powerful configuration.

What kind of competitive pressure will it place on android TV boxes?
    Will it force android tv boxes down to $60-70 price levels?
    Android TV box experience and UI is nowhere close to AppleTV. Will android tv boxes have to clean up the software and UI, so that all promised features work well and in a very user friendly manner?

2. papiguy

papiguy Member

I do not think that the new AppleTV has been developed to compete against android boxes.
    - the chip is less powerful than the zidoo's one, and even the internal memory will be higher, the performances will be probably lower (gamers will not be happy).
    - no recording feature
    - no possibility to play 4K movies
    - the USB connector will be useless (no connection of external storage)
    The new box seems to have been designed mainly for preparing the arrival of apple on the US market of pay TV, with some interesting features such as voice control (Siri).

Wait and see...

3. bovoro

bovoro Member

user experience , chinesse TV box have poor software development

4. papiguy

papiguy Member

Do you compare Rolls-Royce to Daewoo, Suzuki or Fiat ?
    Apple products are well designed, manufactured and upgraded. But the price is not the same.

(Sent from my Ipad :D )

5. bovoro

bovoro Member

Then a cheap product is intended to be a crap? Minimum hope it works well one of its basic functions. here is a example, the x1 zidoo since it was launched dev have not been able to repair the YouTube application, we cant use back or home key, and you do not tell me that's the problem of google, cuz in my X9 works well YOUTUBE .

cheap it is not necessarily synonymous with crap!!!!!!

I said.....

6. papiguy

papiguy Member

Of course I do agree with you. The priority of the developpers should be to correct the buggs or lacks on main functions, before adding not essential details. The problem is users have not the same idea of what is essential (Youtube is useless for me while the recording function is the reason for my choice of zidoo x9)

7. Tech_10

Tech_10 New Member

Chinese boxes give the users more freedom. Apply products are crap!! I purchased an Ipad and return it and got me a Onda Tablet.

I want something that works out the box and don't have to jail break or do whatever to by pass Apply OS. I can get apply IPAD for $179 and don't buy them. I have a chinese Android box MXV and going to purchase more Chinese brand Android/Windows boxes.. including the Zidoo line of products, for myself, friends and family. Lot of Christmas stockings will be fill with Chinese brand TV Boxes. Thank god for the Chinese manufacturers because without them, the saturation of all these different technology wouldn't be able to reach all the massive of people around the world. Amazon tv box, fire sticks, Roku sticks all are made possible because of Chinese technology. Those USB type computers came out of China... and thank God no proprietary crap is in China. Now hundred of millions of people around the world have cutting edge technology at there fingertips because of that.

8. papiguy

papiguy Member

"Chinese boxes give the users more freedom. Apply products are crap!! I purchased an Ipad and return it and got me a Onda Tablet.":
    That's the difference: Apple products are working out the box and do not need to be jailbreaked: all functions work immediately and perfectly and there is no need to wait several months to see the bugs removed. You are talking about freedom and buy a onda tablet with dual boot with windows 8: not the best choice if you need freedom, and I wonder how will be the system in several months after the memory will be overloaded by updates and jeopardized by virus...

There is no specific chineese technology but an international one combining chips made in Korea or Japan, design of devices by American, Japaneese, Korean, Chineese, British, French, ....Manufacturers, Operating systems designed by Apple, Microsoft for "Private" OS and by developpers all over the world for Linux based OS.

"thank God no proprietary crap is in China": and what about the dual boot Android/Windows. You are joking ! Android, as well as IOS (Apple) are not free systems, even they are both based upon a Linux core.

But I agree with you that the arrival of Chineese manufacturers on the market is a good thing for thousands people.
    There are now products for all budgets.

Several friends and members of my family moved from Apple smartphones and tablets to Android ones, and ALL are going to buy again Apple products, as they are claiming against lack of stability and reliability of android systems.
    As far as I am concerned, my Toshiba (Japan) laptop is working under Ubuntu (Linux), I have an Iphone 5S and an Ipad2 (Apple USA), a Popcorn A410 (Syabas South Korea), and .... 3 Zidoo X9 from China, and all are connected to a Marantz (France) Amplifier/Router and Cabasse (France) loud speakers...

9. DG1

DG1 New Member

I think boxes like x9 have a real future if the unique features are properly developed into mature, easy to use features at prices that are not near Apple TV.

For x9, the standout feature is HDMI recording. Everything else in the box can be done by other android boxes like x1. This has to be integrated well into kodi and an EPG to become a proper DVR functionality as most cable or satellite set top boxes charge a large amount extra for DVR functionality. The x9 also has to be able to control the set top box and TV - this can be easily done via IR blaster or HDMI-CEC. IR blaster will be a better solution as HDMI-CEC controls are still not uniformly deployed across all HDMI devices. The IR blaster can be in a X9 v2 model, and can also be implemented via USB on the existing x9 model.

The second part is price. With AppleTV at 150, most android boxes will have to avoid the $100+ price range. Price has to be $99 and lower.