DMP-A8 not playing DSD files (no sound)

Discussion in 'Eversolo DMP-A8' started by mikeypas, May 3, 2024.

1. mikeypas

mikeypas New Member

Greetings all,
    I figured I'd start a new thread on this as I commented on another thread, but not sure if the exact same issue. I just got my A8 and connected via WIFI to my network, which has a shared SMB drive.
    Output via XLR to power amp. No other inputs. Eversolo to poweramp.

I can access my shared drive and play FLAC files, streaming via QOBUZ no issues, but whenever I try to play a DSD file, the screen shows the song and image as if it were playing, but no sound comes out.
    I have tried many DSD, DSF, ISO, DSX files etc., same result

I've tried playing directly off external USB stick, same results. DSD no sound but looks like its playing, all others work fine.

I tried copying directly onto internal storage, same result.
    I tried using RCA instead of XLR to my power amp, no difference.

So, can anyone help suggest why I'm not able to play any DSD files, from my shared SMB drive, or internal storage of external usb stick?

2. Nutul

Nutul Well-Known Member

What DSD? 64? 128? 256? 512? 1024?
    On the Eversolo I expect only the 1024 not to produce sound.

3. mikeypas

mikeypas New Member

I've tried DSD 64, 128, 256 and 512. I've tried DSF, ISO,DFF.
    It plays them all, except no sound output
    I don't even have a DSD1024 to try!

4. Chris Davies

Chris Davies New Member

I've just got an A8 and have exactly the same issue, coming from an A6 which played everything flawlessly so no issue with the files etc.
    Interestingly it plays iso, dsd etc over the USB out, even when switching outputs mid song so definitely an issue with the analogue outs.

5. Chris Davies

Chris Davies New Member

Jus to add I didn't mean the RCA outputs are faulty, The machine knows it is not playing SACD as there is no graphic equalizer playing, when switched to USB sound and EQ display, when switched back to analogue, no sound and no EQ.

6. benma

benma Member

Try the 3rd party app "mconnect" (ios, android) over the upnp connection. Set your A8 as "play to" device and your smb drive as source ("browse"). It should play dsd tracks.

7. mikeypas

mikeypas New Member

When using USB out, you are connecting to an external DAC, which seems to be processing DSD correctly.
    For some reason, when trying to use the internal DAC of the A8, just doesn't seem to be processing DSD. No sound.

8. mikeypas

mikeypas New Member

Just tried it out, works fine with PCM, but same result as DSD. Screen shows its playing, but no sound.

9. benma

benma Member

Factory reset?

10. mikeypas

mikeypas New Member

Tried that! Even tried holding a pin in the reset button and manually deleting cache and restoring factory settings (instructions on eversolo website)

Weirdness continues

11. Nutul

Nutul Well-Known Member

Have you tried to play such DSD files on another device?
    Are those files rips of SACDs? Some are copy-protected (well, scrambled...) and do not produce sound, or produce static.
    If not, and it doesn't bother you, you could upload one file that you are sure it is not producing any sound to a site of your choice, and post me its download link. I'll have a look and test it.
    It's not the first time some files are wrongly/badly tagged, and some players could get confused about the stream to play.

12. Jerry Bokko

Jerry Bokko New Member

I have no problem playing DSD files have rips of hundreds of disks. If you are using the DAC in A8 it should be set to native.
    If you have another dac connected USB you have see which format it supports. as PCM, DOP or native.
    My BR-20 supports native so that is what I set. Go to USB DAC output and under DSD Audio try different setting and see what works.
    When I send DOP to the BR-20 its makes a hissing sound both PCM and Native work fine...
    Mainly use my A8 as a streamer. Hoping they hurry up with Roon Ready.

13. mikeypas

mikeypas New Member

I can play all my dsd files using Gustard r26 and a portable shanling dac.

how do you set the internal a8 dac to native? I’m playing off internal storage. I only see dsd options for usb out and i2s out.

my source is internal player and output is rca. Also tried xlr.

14. Jerry Bokko

Jerry Bokko New Member

Mine just seems to work but my dealer lent me an A6 and an A8. So have menu overload. LOL
    What are file extensions? Mine are .dsf files. Going to try to add some iso's to storage tomorrow, crap weather so.
    Now if you ripped your own files as sanity check, you used to get some free songs when signing up for nativedsd dot com.
    Seriously think something else is cause whenever I get this I have to switch either input on my preamp or output on A8. That's all music, you just DSD.
    With A6 I could not get DSD files playing 5.1. Channel mapping was messed up. So wound up with A8. Had to say I was not a fan of A6 sound but is good bang for buck. My gear is more expensive so like comparing steak to hamburger TBF.
    All my files play fine in my OPPO using analog outs to my receiver or over HDMI with PC.
    Do not think there is a setting for dac it should just play thats going on internal. Everything I want to suggest would affect both PCM and DSD.

15. Chris Davies

Chris Davies New Member

I've exhausted all available options with the settings, packed up and ready to be sent back.

16. Jerry Bokko

Jerry Bokko New Member

Last edited: May 5, 2024
  17. mikeypas

mikeypas New Member

Nope not really. I tried audirvana playingn Upnp to A8, same result.
    I am using the latest 1.2.80 version

The only thing I can maybe think of, is that with my other dacs, there was an audible relay clicking noise when switching PCM to DSD and vice versa.
    I certainly hear lots of clicking from the A8 when switching inputs etc., but no clicking noises between PCM and DSD.

18. Jerry Bokko

Jerry Bokko New Member

Posting in public forum is not like contacting support for product. Have you tired that.
    Have you tried changing the USB DAC setting for DSD anyway?
    Just two weeks in with these units research wise.
    Really enjoying experience thought now 3 days of playback as streamer great.
    Certainly not hearing switching noises, been listening to DSD, PCM or Wav files all afternoon.
    The volume control makes clicking noises but thats by design.

19. mikeypas

mikeypas New Member

Yep, it’s holiday in China that’s why I posted here.