Why DSP On Inputs Instead Of Outputs?

Discussion in 'Eversolo' started by catastrofe, May 1, 2024.

1. catastrofe

catastrofe New Member

I don't see this talked about much in the general "press".

I was seriously considering a DMP-A8 until I started reading up on the DSP functionality. I can't fathom why Eversolo implemented DSP in this manner (application to inputs rather than outputs).

I run a 2.2 stereo setup with the speakers/subs HP/LP filtered at 80HZ via my Lyngdorf TDAI-1120. I'm planning an upgrade for more power along with different L/R speakers.

Typically, the purpose of DSP is to address shortcomings in the listening space. These are related to speaker/room interactions, and are independent of the input source. If I need EQ, FIR filters, etc. to improve what I'm hearing in my listening space, those requirements apply to all sources. I would never apply correction to say the USB input but not the optical. And while I could certainly apply the same correction factors to all inputs, why would I want to do that much work when a single set of adjustments on the output would be sufficient.

I can (minimally) understand why someone might want to vary DSP by source, but that demographic is probably very small compared to the general market that would purchase this product.

I feel Eversolo has missed the mark on this by a wide margin. The ability to set HP and LP filters for subwoofer management in addition to PEQ and the other features available with DSP would have made this is a standout product. For me at least, it would mean the addition of more hardware to accomplish that goal...something I'm not interested in doing.

Am I missing something or misunderstanding DSP function in the A8?
    Thoughts?

mags likes this.
  2. Jjb067

Jjb067 Active Member

On the A6, the DSP is arranged per output, digital as well as analog. However both analog outputs XLR and RCA are treated as one output, you can't distinguish between them as to setting one as High Pass and the other as Low Pass. The A8 also I think does not distinguish between these analog outputs and you can only get the DSP effect via analog. I think it is this common analog treatment that is the main problem here rather than the input vs output definition ?

3. catastrofe

catastrofe New Member

Thanks for the response.

The issue for me is that I really don't see the point of applying DSP to inputs. The primary point of DSP is to modify the output of a device to achieve desired response in the listening space. If one can't achieve acceptable response from the speakers (output), what's the point in applying DSP to an input source?

The A6 does not offer DSP like the A8, so I'm not sure what you're referring to regarding DSP being arranged per output.

4. Jjb067

Jjb067 Active Member

The only way you hear the result of DSP on the A8 is via the analog output. The choices they have offered are really just the ability to define different configurations depending on the various input sources. This is for flexibility for the user, the DSP only takes effect via the final analog output. There is DSP on the A6, it was added in a firmware update, but it is implemented in a different way to the A8 and is not generated in the final DAC section in particular. So it is coded in the main processor code and so can also affect digital outputs as well as analog. The user in this case is offered the ability to define configurations based on the output type. It is not as extensive as on the A8 so no FIR filter imports or separate LPF/HPF section. However one can implement lots of PEQ to define high and low pass capabilities. My main point is that what you really require is the ability to have separate but simultaneous DSP on the XLR and RCA analog outputs. Thus we could drive subwoofers and main speakers with appropriately filtered outputs simultaneously. It is the inability of the current DSP on either the A8 or A6 to do this that is the issue, the analog outputs are treated as just one common type as regards DSP. The orientation of the configuration definitions is not really the main issue I think.

mags likes this.
  5. catastrofe

catastrofe New Member

Thanks, I certainly understand all this and you're correct...simultaneous DSP on the XLR and RCA outputs would be (to me) a much better solution. I see Eversolo's approach as misguided.

Jjb067 likes this.
  6. Plouf

Plouf New Member

yes, that's my grief with the A8 as well... I hope a newer model (or master edition?) would offer at least one subwoofer output. the A8 is a pass for me despite all its qualities

mags and catastrofe like this.