Problem (again!) with 24p/60p with zidoo 5000

Discussion in 'HDD Media player(RTD 1619BPD)' started by jorys, Mar 25, 2024.

1. jorys

jorys New Member

Hi everybody,

A new thread for a new problem.

I don't think i got it at the begining when i bought the driver zidoo 5000

When i read a remux file 4k, the file is of course in 4k/24p.
    In the options i selected (and even forced by blocking it) 4k/24p for the output/reading format.

BUT when i read the info of the file i'm reading, the output is 4k/60p.
    And i see and feel it when i watch the movie ; it's not cinema 24p. Clearly. It's like a bit live performance theatre. It's too "fluid".
    And i don't like that.

I tried many things but i can't correc this issue.

Even if i select 4k/24p it seems to be read in 60p.

And i looked for on my tv (panasonic mz2000) to force the display of 4k/24p but i 'm not finding anything also.

Does anyone experienced that ?? any idea how to fix that.

Maybe i'm wrong but at the begining i used this driver, it was a normal 24p with all the files ... not anymore.

Thanks !!

2. cucnz

cucnz Active Member

i have the pana L1500z via Denon 3700h

my Z9X pro is set display forced to lock resolution 3840x2160p @24hz ....colour settings for 4k23-30hz proirity yuv444 10bit .....HDR DV VS10 op DV

info on my Panasonic shows 3840x2160p/24hz
    This is for remux Aliens vid res of 3840x2160p/23.976fps

3. jorys

jorys New Member

OK thanks ; i ll try a check later tonight and i ll tell you.

What i can tell you right now is like you my zidoo is forced to output 3840x2160p @24hz. (i read only files in this resolution)

But when i read a file and watch it ; and show the info with the zidoo, the output is if i'm not wrong is @60Hz !!! even with a file encoded in 24HZ and i think the info from the tv tells 60hz but i'm not sure ; i ll check it.
    So the zidoo transform a 24p file into a 60p file.
    I don't understand why !

When i read some remux file with the pana 9000 driver, it works fine ; file in 24p, and the tv display a 24p movie ; so normal.

But with the zidoo, not anymore. It was not like this a few weeks ago i m sure.

I ll keep you posted in a one or two hours.

4. cucnz

cucnz Active Member

only reason the Zidoo would change a 24hz to 60 hz is if its set to 3840x2160p@60hz in settings / video / resolution /

theres a random bug zidoo still working on where the EDID will occasionally change to random settings ...its mostly been fixed ,but still happens couple times a week for me even with my settings all saved as an EDID then forced edid set
    the usual one itll change me to ,is 1080p@60hz ,sometimes i dont notice it unless it also changes my HDR / DV VS10 for all setting , because then the background wallpaper on Z9X pro will be dull instead of more vibrant

5. jorys

jorys New Member

So some news ...

I think i understood what's the problem but i don't know how to resolve it !

When i play a remux file WITHOUT dobly vision, it seems to be played everytime in 24p if i select this output ; so the file is 24p and is played in 24p. Normal !

But when it's a remux file or another type WITH dolby vision, it seems to be played everytime in 60hz even if i selected 24p and even if ti's blocked in 24p in the video option of the zidoo. And of course these files are encoded in 24p

I don't know why !!

I cant' understand the problem from the Zidoo and i don't see the problem coming from my tv ...

If you have any idea or guess, feel free to tell me cause it's again a nightmare

Thanks anyway !

6. cucnz

cucnz Active Member

heres all my current settings on the Z9X Pro

Playback / Framerate /match framerate only

Display / resolution / Lock res 3840x2160p@24hz

Colour / 4k50-60 yvu420 10b / 4k23-30 yuv444 10b / non4k yuv444 10b / deep colour Off / Hdmi signal format enhcnace format

HDR DV vs10 o/p DV

Dolby Vision compat / LLDV player led

Custom EDID enabled for this do all settings then allow custom edid and save to zidoo ie d/l folder in popup box

Audio
    HDMI audio / Raw

7. joey_corleone

joey_corleone Member

Hey! I struggled with this too at the beginning. Set your Zidoo to 4k/23 (NOT 24) and match frame rate only. It is not intuitive but in bizarro Zidoo land, 24 means EXACTLY 24 and 23 means 23.976 which is what most films acrually are

So if you configure 4k/23 you will avoid HDMI sync most of the time and avoid this issue

If the content TRULY is exactly 24hz this isn’t your issue. I have a handful of 4k’s from the likes of shout factory that actually are 24Hz

Hope that helps

8. jorys

jorys New Member

i m gonna try this right now ; l ll tell you very soon. Same for the previous post. thanks

joey_corleone likes this.
  9. jorys

jorys New Member

OHHHH you just saved my life !

I put 23p not 24p and i locked it ; and it didn't worked ; BUT with match framerate only ... it worked !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Now i got in output 23p like it should be. I think it was the answer cause i didn't do anything else i think. I tried on two files one remux and one not and it works on these two. So i think that's really the solution.

And at the eyes it's normal ok like cinema so that's it it seems.

THANKS A LOT at you two !

I m gonna try a few other movies i have problem with but not this one exactly (like glitch when i read it ; or little freeze/stutter (?!)

I ll keep you posted

10. jorys

jorys New Member

so you really saved my life cause some files i had problems with, not anymore ; one specially a remux with a black screen no image now i got imager and a normal one !!
    And even if i blocked at 23p, the output most of the time is 23 p but sometimes (like the remux file i spoke just above) is 24p in output. So this change is automatic i guess.

And for otpions i put everything like you cucnz.

I guess on this matter, problems have been solved !!!

11. joey_corleone

joey_corleone Member

Awesome! You might double check your settings to make sure it is STILL set to 4k/23 as I think there are some bugs where it will magically reset. Every time I turn mine on I am frantically checking the signal info before playing any movies just to be sure.

Really glad to have helped out. As I said, this confused me to because never in my life on any other device have I seen 23.976 referred to as 23. Most devices will just round up and say 24 or it will say exactly 23.976

12. jorys

jorys New Member

one question thought :

Why select match framerate only and not with resolution ?

Cause some movies are not 2160p but less ; it would be better no ? we loose a bit of image but it would be more respectful of the movie and the director will right ?

What do you think ?

13. jorys

jorys New Member

I ll check it as you say. Yesssss it seems there still some bugs in the zidoo ; a bit disapointed on that but what can we do ?? nothing ; just hoping that the creators read this forum and take our experiences into consideration and try to solve them.

So maybe they could accept to read dts 5.1 not in pcm 2.0 but in pcm 5.1 or even better the 7.1 read as pcm 7.1 :))) We still can dream ! it's free ; with a 1000 dollars machine it should be possible when this machine can read without problem dolby 7.1 of the highest quality (aka atmos)

14. joey_corleone

joey_corleone Member

It comes down to what device in your signal chain you want doing the 4k upscale. If you have match frame rate and match resolution, and you play a non 4k movie (1080p, 1080i, 480p, etc), your Zidoo will output it in the native resolution of the file, and your display will handle upscaling. If you do NOT have match resolution, the Zidoo will handle the upscale, and output a 4k signal to your display no matter what as long as the resolution is configured for 4k

I have mine setup where the zidoo is set for 4k/23 with match frame rate only. This way, Zidoo does upscaling and I never have an HDMI resync unless it is a movie NOT 23.976hz, which is rare in my collection. Also, the Zidoo VS10 engine and it’s upscale capabilities are really really good, so for me it’s preferable. You really want to avoid those HDMI resyncs as much as possible because the zidoo is riddled with bugs in that area. This is why I do 4k/23, match frame rate only and always on LLDV

My projector has awful HDMI resync times, and I am betting the Zidoo does better upscaling with it’s realtek chipset.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2024
  15. jorys

jorys New Member

ah yes i forgot that

For me i think i need to think about it ; cause my tv is a mz2000 panasonic oled and in the market it's one if not the best tv for the image and specially upscaling ; so letting the tv do the job could be a good thing ; the pana tv are well known for that ; calibrated by movie professionnal and with an engine very high end specially for the upscale.

I know the zidoo is also very good with the upscale but maybe letting the tv doing it is better ; i ll try it maybe.

I didn't know about the resync... good to know !

Yes ; the zidoo is not perfect and still has some bugs so maybe it's better to use it like this.

16. jorys

jorys New Member

Maybe you could answer me on this :

With a dolby vision file, sometimes at the begining of the movie, a icon dolby vision appears into the right (same side of dolby atmos icon) but sometimes also "V10 Dolby vision" icon (written on two lines) in the left
    and sometimes it's just written "V10 Dolby vision" icon on the left but nothing on the right

It seems to depend of the option i selected about HDR

If there just the icon (small one) on the left but nothing at the same time on the right, does it mean there's a problem ??

And what's the difference/the meaning between these icon "dolby vision" and 'vs10 dolby vision".

One is better if here ? i'm lost here ...

Last edited: Mar 27, 2024
  17. cucnz

cucnz Active Member

in settings / display / HDR / try DV VS10 for all

if your watching a DV file you shouldnt see DV VS10 showing at top it should automaticlly see its DV and use that over the internal VS10

That or theres issues with the way the DV was remuxed ? on the file

ie for me with DV VS10 for all

non DV files ill get DV VS10 showing
    for DV files ill get DV

18. jorys

jorys New Member

no It seems to depend of the option i selected about HDR

By example :

Yesterday for three days of the condor file, with some options selected, everything was normal and a dolby vision icon (a big one) was displayed on the right high corner

Today, i don't know why but the icon was here again but the output of the file was 23p (thank god) BUT in 8 bits depth

I changed some options (the yuv something priority and the hdr) ; and after that it was normal again with a 10 or 12 bits depth for this file ; but no icon in the right, just an icon on the left both vs10 and dolby vision but small entire icon

So my question was in fact : did i lose quality between the big icon on the right and the small icon on the left ?

And when it was a 8 bits depth, the two icons were there at the same time !!

I m really lost.

But for me it seems first, the output in depth colour must be the higher ; normal cause the file is originally a 10 or 12 bits depth.
    But it's like at the same time, i lose something about the HDR. At least it's how i see things.

But for equalizer 3 if i'm not mistaken, i got at the same time in output 12 bits depth, and on the screen dolby vision on the right (and not vs10 dv on the left i think)

RHOOOO so complicated

thanks for your help AGAIN

Hope i 'm clear :)

19. cucnz

cucnz Active Member

8 bit is correct for dV ...theyre done in an 8 bit 4k file with a 1080p for the DV info (if i remeber correctly )

it can also depend on whether you set Player or TV lldv (or what ever it is not on tv atm )

both are correct

try all my settings as i posted for my setup above thou 23bit not my 24bit and see how it goes ( ie i think you may have chop and changed too many things in trying stuff ....go back to the basic recommended settings try things just with those then maybe tweak_

20. jorys

jorys New Member

no no before the problem after one night about the 60p/24p, i ve done exactly like you if i remember correctly.

But this problem appeared so i needed to do something else. And after one night i was today checking some movies and hop another problem appeared this one with the 8 bits instead as yesterday and before of 10/12 bits.

What i remember ; at the begining everything was ok ; and without changing anything a problem appeared ; and after his resolution, a day after without touching anything another appears ; and so on. I don't understand anything !

When i resolve one problem, another one is coming, never seen before.

I ll check what you told me and i ll keep you aware.

Thanks.