DTS HD 5.1 or higher not read on UHD 5000

Discussion in 'HDD Media player(RTD 1619BPD)' started by jorys, Mar 22, 2024.

1. jorys

jorys New Member

Hi everyone,
    First sorry for my english if not correct, i'm french :)

I bought a zidoo UHD 5000 two months ago . I read files on USB mostly on 3.0 at the back.

but i got a problem ; maybe i'm wrong but it doesn't work so far.

The driver is the UHD 5000
    The files are on USB key 3.0
    The files are UHD 4K REMUX
    The TV plugged is the new PANASONIC MZ2000 65 INCH with dobly atmos soundbar included (in HDMI audio and video same plug)

THE PROBLEM :

with files with dolby atmos 7.1 sound no problem ; but with remux files with DTS-HD MA 5.1 or 7.1 or DTS X 7.1 i don't have any sound ; it seems not compatible. So the TV with the dolby atmos soundbar makes no sound, nothing at all ; but i got image. I thing but i'm not sure that i got a message from the driver telling me sound is not read.
    I've been in the audio options ; i saw you can for the DTS select conversion in LPCM.
    If my understanding is ok, for the dolby atmos i selected BITSTREAM (or RAW i don('t remember) to send to the TV ; so the sound produced by the tv soundbar is multicanal 7.1. No problem and the dolby atmos drawing on the screen is here ; same for dolby vision.

BUT for the DTS it's only in 2.0 cause i don't have any other choice than a conversion in 2.0 LPCM to hear something. Just stereo.

Am i wrong or do i miss something or this driver is not able to read DTS HD and to send to my TV a 5.1 or 7.1 sound form that format/kind of dts stream.

I'm a bit lost and angry cause the sound streams are the reasons i bought this driver (my tv can directly read remux files but just image, not dolby atmos and dts stream from a usb key ...)
    And to hear just a stereo sound is not the reason i bought such high end tv with this sound bar and this driver

Thanks for your precious help and knowledge !!

Last edited: Mar 22, 2024
  2. cucnz

cucnz Active Member

the zidoo does dts MA 5.1 dts x etc all fine ,watched untold movies with them on ,no issues

i think the issue is more whether the tv supports it

i have the lz1500 tv but a denon 3700h receiver so audios pulled out before it hits tv and the EDID for my reciver shows dts ma 8 ch is supported

i tried jumunji next level mkv with dts hd ma 7.1 using the panasonic media player so tv to pc and no audio pana says format not supported

when im in the Z9x pro /settings / audio / HDMI audio it shows on right hand side what EDID is detecting is playable via the receiver ie DTS-HD 8ch ....

does yours show you that ?

meaning Zidoo may see that the tv doesnt support DTS -HD which is seperate to DA eac3 etc etc

3. David Dean

David Dean New Member

I use a Sonos beam gen 2 , so I have my audio settings, under HD audio playback set to downmix for DTS

4. jorys

jorys New Member

Thanks of you two.

Yes my tv doesn't do dts hd it seems with a file (not a disc, but the driver does that); but i thought the zidoo driver was decoding dts and was sending a signal compatible to the tv/soundbar. Or it's not the case except in 2.0 lpcm ; too bad for a multicanal signal ... so i did this post on this forum cause i'm disapointed but also i don't really understand why it sends 2.0 pcm but not 5.1 or 7.1 pcm depending on the source. So i asked if i missed something or i didn't understood something.

For the EDID i'm gonna check and will tell you !

Otherwise i will check with downmix for dts but the quality of the sound stream will be lower ... what's the point to get high end driver, source tv and sound bar if i got the sound of the dvd from 20 years ago (and more) ; i 'm right about the lower quality ? it's called downmix for a reason i guess. Better than nothing.

Just to let you know i got a panasonic driver 9000 for 4k blu ray disk and with a file it can decode DTS for the tv ; i got sound when i read the file with this driver BUT i would like to just use the zidoo driver for the files for some reasons but it's not perfect and even problematic with files when it comes to the subtitles (i m good in english but not perfect i still need english subtitles per exemple :-( ) and even sound stream it seems.

The result is every driver has its own flaws and is problematic with some files... when you see the price of these products it's not tolerable. ALWAYS something which doesn't work. ALWAYS a case where there's a problem.... GOD it's tiring.

Thanks again for your posts.

I ll let you know soon when i ll check what you did tell me.

5. cucnz

cucnz Active Member

Does it have a seperate soundbar or is it the ätmos"speakers built in to the tv

Full soundbars can work as a reciver ,but inbuilt audio from tv looks to be limited in the audio codecs it supports

ie it will support Dolby Atmos but if same as my lz1500 it wont support dts-hd 5/7.1

Least you have one of the best screens/video processors out atm :) ,why ive stuck with Pana for the 2 OLEDS i have

looks like you might need a full Reciever to get full audio support or maybe a Full soundbar if space limited that supports all audio codecs used today

Also do you have the Zidoo plugged in to the eArc hdmi port? ie

DTS-HD is lossy, supports up to 5.1 channels, and has a sampling rate of up to 96kHz. DTS-HD MA, on the other hand, is lossless, supports up to 7.1 channels, and has a sampling rate of up to 192kHz

if in the eArc hdmi on TV it may have better support ?

6. jorys

jorys New Member

it's a sound bar integrated in the tv, not separate. It's from technics.

Yeah it seems like yours, not supporting dts. Yeah but one of the reason i bought this tv, is the integrated soundbar atmos ; if i need to buy a separate one what's the point ? and for the money ... no i can't.

Yeah it's plugged in the arc HDMI ; but i ll check again. We never know.

At least for the image yes this screen is amazing with a dolby vision file it's speechless.

My thought if i cant' find a solution is zidoo for dolby atmos file sound, and the pana 9000 for the dts file sound. But the pana is not perfect for the subtitles and a few other things, better for disk for sure (zidoo doesn't do that of course) ; but one driver for everything on usb key and one for disks would be better ...

7. jorys

jorys New Member

i checked it's on the earc hdmi, no problem.
    And yeah no sound with a dts stream. It works only if the dts is converted in pcm 2.0. GRRRR why not in 5.1 or 7.1 ?!??

I activated downmix for dts on the zidoo but it changes nothing is i don't use the pcm 2.0 So it doesn't change anything.
    Tomorrow i think i will compare the sound with the pana 9000 driver to check that the sound is better on the pana cause it will be in 7.1. The movie was howard the duck and the sound stream dts hd ma 7.1 (even X i think).
    For sure i will have no choice than to use the pana for the dts sound files... and the zidoo for the dolby atmos files. But what a waste and at the end it 's so complicated because yeah there's only one HDMI arc on this tv so you have to change the plug everytime you change the driver ... grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
    I almost regret this tv, with another one dts hd woudn't be a problem but this one, just dolby atmos !!!!!!!!!!!

8. cucnz

cucnz Active Member

having already owned a dv da dtc x denon reciever i went with the lz1500 vs the lz2000 ,i didnt need to pay more for a better sounding tv

Thing is with TV audio support ,its designed for the audio streams coing in from OTA/Cable tv etc

Does the soundbar have hdmi inputs/outputs seperate to the TVs or built in and uses tv ones only ? and a technics model number
    Ie if a soundbar is there Zidoo to soundbar arc from soundbar to tv

9. jorys

jorys New Member

no just input/output for the tv , the sound bar is 100% integrated ; i ll check but i m sure of that ; otherwise i wound'nt have any sound right now.

From my point of view the problem actually is from zidoo : why it's decoding in pcm 2.0 and not in 5.1 or 7.1 ; that 's their best high end product and it does not ; it's a real shame !

10. jorys

jorys New Member

ok . I got one idea ; i can dissociate the sound and the image cause i have several hdmi input on my tv and i think one is just for the sound so just for the sound bar.
    I gonna try to send the image by the earc hdmi and the sound by the other for the sound.

We'll see. It seems the same approach than you with an entry in a separate soundbar.

11. jorys

jorys New Member

Fail !!

12. cucnz

cucnz Active Member

Like i said above
    i think its because the EDID it sees from the TV will show the TV doesnt support DTS-HD Master audio or DTX ,do the Zidoo has to send stereo

we know the zidoo fully supports dts-hd MA i watched To Die For last night which has it ,worked perfectly ,because my denon reciever supports it

13. jorys

jorys New Member

No i understood you ; but since the zidoo decodes it and send it to the tv in pcm and not in dts (the tv can't play that), why it sends just 2.0 pcm and not 5.1 or 7.1 ??
    From my understanding if the tv can play pcm 2.0 arriving from the zidoo, why it couldn't play pcm 5.1 or 7.1 ??

14. jorys

jorys New Member

I tried many things today with the pana driver.

It works ... in some way but i can't figure out if everything is "perfect" like with my disc 4k.

I tried to separate audio and video from two hdmi output (or input in the tv) : it doesn' t work ; worse, it seems the only hdmi i can send video to my tv is the hdmi earc, and not the other one hdmi 4k/120hz ; i don't understand at all.

i played also files with a dts x hd ma 7.1 stream and i got sound ... but it seems it's just read in 5.1 by the driver ; but i got sound. but i think less quality than the source/file

On my pana when you show information about the media, you got 4 lines :
    1) one it seems from the file about video (codec, etc)
    2) one from the file about sound (number of channel and bitrate)
    3) one it seems for the hdmi output video+audio showing info about video (it's the same than the 1rst one) and info about audio (number channel and bitrate)
    4) for the output hdmi sound only but it's blank of course for me cause i don't use it, i don't understand how it works

And surprise the 3rd one indicates reading 5.1 sound stream, if i remember well the 2nd one also ; but the sound stream should be a 7.1 ; with vlc on a pc this stream is indicated with a 7.1 stream ; so i don't understand why i'm losing 2 channel ...

What a nightmare.

At least i got sound but with a loss of channel i'm sure and also of quality i guess

15. cucnz

cucnz Active Member

In the end i think its still going to be add a reciever /speakers or a seperates soundbar that fully supports the codecs

16. jorys

jorys New Member

Yes i guess you're right unfortunately ! :-(