Problems with SSD

Discussion in 'Eversolo DMP-A6' started by Lazarus, Jan 12, 2024.

1. Lazarus

Lazarus New Member

Yesterday I put a SSD (Samsung 980 NVMe M2) into my DMP-A6 master ed. I formated and ripped a cd. Everything went smoothly but it took five tries before the it detected the SSD but after that it was to be seen in the menu. Later in the day the streamer froze. I could not power off. I had to pull the plug. The same thing happened four times. I formated the SSD again and factory reset the player. Today the same thing happened again after streaming from Quboz a couple of hours. I had to pull the plug again. When I started the player again there was a message that it had detected an extern storage (or something similar).
    Now I have removed the SSD. I don't know if the SSD is defect or the player. Maybe I did something wrong when I installed the SSD. Or maybe the problem has nothing to do with the SSD. Maybe my DMP-A6 me.is defect?
    Anybody else experienced something like this?

Last edited: Jan 12, 2024
  2. SausageDog

SausageDog Member

Unless you missed to fully push the SSD module in place and fix it steady with the provided plastic pin I highly doubt that the temperamental issue you're experiencing is due to an incorrect installation. Furthermore, if all problems with the device disappear once the SSD is removed, then clearly the issue is SSD related. If so, the there are only 2 option: 1) The SSD is troublesome by itself for some reason (unlikely if you ask me, due to the top level brand you picked, but always a possibility); 2) The particular SSD you installed requires a particularly high power draw which the control board is not (always) able to manage. In conclusion: double check the SSD fitting and try a different, possibly more power efficient, SSD model.

Nutul and Lazarus like this.
  3. Lazarus

Lazarus New Member

Thank you for the response! It's appreciated!

4. Nicolae-Valeriu

Nicolae-Valeriu New Member

EverSolo DMP-A6 support M.2 NVMe 3.0 SSD is in specifications. Using very fast 4.0. (or 5.0) SSD does not improve performance as it is not the limiting factor but should still work.Try with SSD Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2TB PCI Express 3.0 x4 M.2 2280... formatted with NTFS...
    ssd-samsung-970-evo-plus-series-2tb-pci-express-x4-m-2-2280-322720.jpg

Lazarus likes this.
  5. THXjay

THXjay Member

I've got a Samsung 980 NVMe m.2 500GB formatted to NTFS and it is fine.

Nicolae-Valeriu likes this.
  6. Lazarus

Lazarus New Member

Do you have a heat sink? I have been told that it can solve my problem.

7. THXjay

THXjay Member

No heatsink, it's just as it came.

I don't really use it for storing my music though as I have over 6tb. I really bought it in case I needed it for local ripping or storing any library related files in future.

It hasn't caused any weird behaviour as some people report, so it can't be just installing an SSD that is the issue, at least not this model.

8. Monkey3017

Monkey3017 Member

I don't think a heasink is required since the transfer to/from the SSD is not really super fast.
    I tried to add a heatsink to my SSD (WD Blue SN580 NVMe SSD 1 TB) but there is not really room for it.
    I formatted it with NTFS and filled it up using a small SSD enclosure from the PC.

I must say I do not trust the streamer to put on data which is not a copy. A simple click is enough and you can delete any folder and there is a format option, too. We do not know how the SSD is attached, maybe it runs just as USB device with limited power.

9. Jjb067

Jjb067 Active Member

If you play songs from the internal SSD and check the full song path on page 1 of the Now Playing screen on the App, then you see usb as the root of the file name. So it is on the usb system bus apparently and there will probably be only so much current draw allowed between all the usb devices, internal or external.

10. GerdT

GerdT New Member

I have a similar problem ...

Installed (fully oushed in the slot) and formatted my SSD (4TB, M.2 NVMe 3) in the DMP-A6.
    About 1 TB files on it.

After shut down and new start of the device the SSD ist mostly missing.
    The only thing what helps ... Complety cut power supply an plug in again. Then it's there again.

Any solutions?