Direct Attached Storage (DAS)

Discussion in 'HDD Media player(RTD 1619BPD)' started by mustang5o, Mar 3, 2024.

1. mustang5o

mustang5o New Member

Has anyone tried connecting a device such as this directly to their Zidoo?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06ZY6DK8N/

I was considering getting it to connect to my "server" as a less expensive option over a Synology NAS. I started thinking it might be worthwhile to just attach it directly to the player if the Zidoo can recognize 5 disks installed in one USB device.

2. Temearoo

Temearoo Active Member

I don't use this one but a DAS from Qnap with 4 bays (in single mode), and I have no issue with it.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2024
    mustang5o likes this.
  3. mustang5o

mustang5o New Member

So does the Zidoo see them all as single hard drives? So each drive could be as much as 16TB?

4. Temearoo

Temearoo Active Member

Yes to both questions (if you use the single mode on the DAS for the first one).

With the DAS in single mode, the Zidoo will start as fast as usual but it gonna take some times to identify each HDD individually when you are on the welcome screen of the player (around 1min, 1min 30).

mustang5o likes this.
  5. mustang5o

mustang5o New Member

I presume the Zidoo can also share them out on the network? I'm planning a second Zidoo at some point in the living room. If I don't go the NAS route it would be nice to just have one of these attached to the Zidoo in the home theater and the living room just pulling from the shared disks.

6. Temearoo

Temearoo Active Member

As long as the Zidoo is On, I have access to all the disks from my PC, using the SMB protocol.

When I turn off the Zidoo, the Qnap goes in standby mode and it wakes up when I turn on the player, automatically in both cases.

I suppose that to connect the DAS to the router (or a PC) could be an option; I never tried this.

7. mustang5o

mustang5o New Member

Good information, thank again. I never thought about attaching to a router since some routers have USB. That would essentially make it a NAS but maybe without all the same features. The RAID option on the one I posted is limited but you could probably do software raid from a PC.