Turn Off Volume "Click"

Discussion in 'Eversolo DMP-A8' started by Itch, Feb 4, 2024.

1. Itch

Itch Member

Billy,

You have been helpful on a few other posts...

The point of this part of the conversation is that the A8 doesn't pair well with some amplifiers and speakers.
    Turning the volume up is logical - but not always practical.
    You wouldn't want to have to "floor" your car accelerator to keep up with traffic.

When I am listening at moderately high levels - it is between -3 and 0 ...
    Utilizing only a portion of the amplifier's capabilities.

I have experienced this in my whole house Sonos system. The Connect don't quite have the V output.
    Using an in line RCA amp has been successful - just not preferable for higher end audio.
    Seven of the 11 zones have them between the Connect outputs and the respective power amplifiers.

This is what I use:

https://www.htd.com/LGB-1

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 6, 2024
  2. BillyVegas

BillyVegas Member

I get it …
    It just may not be a good fit for you …

what amp are you using , and what is the power at 4/8 ohms ? curious…

i have 4 amps here , all in regular use ..

Parasound A21 -250w
    PS Audio S300 -130w
    B&K dual mono EX-442 - 200w
    Dayens Ampino - 25w

all of them will put out plenty of volume ( don’t have the input specs handy , but I’d imagine full rated output ) with a 4v input - some more than others , obviously , depending on their rated output wattage - and none of my speakers are overly sensitive - my Salks are 88db..

i do have an old PS Audio 4.6 preamp that can be switched between passive and active with the turn of a knob … I’ve had it for over 30 years and I have rarely used it in active mode - and it’s driving a system for my pool/patio - plenty loud . Of course the amp is rated at 200 w ch. , 8ohms.

the A8 replaced a Cambridge Audio 851n , and even that at 2/4v provided plenty of juice to drive all my amps.

so , I dunno what’s going on with your A8 , if anything…
    My A8 will drive my Salks to ear bleeding levels using either the S300 (130w) or the A21 (250w)

that’s why I’m perplexed.

It may just be a bad fit for your system.

does that LGB-1 add any distortion, is it clean ?

let us know if you figure anything out .

Bk

Last edited: Feb 6, 2024
  3. Itch

Itch Member

This thread has taken a few twists from it’s original intent.

The disappointment is specific to the use of the RCA outputs. Which have considerably less output than the XLR outputs.

In turn this discussion may be helpful to those utilizing this forum to educate themselves in anticipation of a future purchase.

4. Purité Audio

Purité Audio Well-Known Member

RCA always has less output than XLR, is your amplifier capable of driving your loudspeakers, there are no ‘standardised’ output values for audio.
    10dB gain for a preamp is pretty standard.
    Keith

5. Itch

Itch Member

I am using:

Lightstar II - (300 wpc)

When I rotate in my Sunfire Signature 600 x 2 I do get decent volumes.

Either of these amps will drive almost any loudspeaker.

Neither reach their potential. The RCA output is what it is...

I have a dozen other amps that I have refreshed/rebuilt that are less powerful.
    All are 'vintage' SS amps with RCA inputs (Proton D1200 - Onkyo Integra M-504 - Carver TFM-45 etc etc)
    I may use these when moderate listening levels are desired.

It's not a function of "my system" - anyone that is using the RCA output will experience the exact same thing.

This is true of the Cambridge CXN v2 as well - which are ~ 4v XLR and 2V RCA

There are threads on many audio forums discussing this.

SO TO PUT THIS TO BED:
    The A8 is fun piece of audio gear.
    Billed as a PREAMP.
    Depending on one's application (combination of amplifier and speakers) it may not allow you to reach the potential of your system using the RCA outputs.

6. Purité Audio

It is a pre amplifier with a gain of 10dB and an output voltage of 2.1volts both of which are completely standard.
    For some reason the gain structure of your system is not correct.
    I would go back and discover where the fault lies.
    Keith

gtb75 likes this.
  7. gtb75

gtb75 New Member

I run the A8 via RCA directly into my amps which drive pretty inefficient speakers (Magnepans) and have no problems with volume. I generally listen in the -25db range and the volume output I get with the A8 sounds about the same as the Mytek Brooklyn+ it replaced. As others already noted the A8, and my Brooklyn+ for that matter, uses a resistor ladder volume and the "clicks" are normal. Also both my A8 and my Brooklyn+ have relays that switch ("click") when powering on as well as when going into standby, so that's normal behavior as well.

Itch and Purité Audio like this.
  8. Purité Audio

You imagine you have read the most ridiculous thing and then something comes along to top it , the guy has used two streamers with completely standard standard output values, perhaps he might consider that the fault does not lie with those components.
    A power amplifier from 1998 with ‘unusual’ measurements, in 98 there would only have been cd players whose ‘standard’ output is guess what.
    Keith

Nutul likes this.
  9. Itch

Itch Member

There is a 10db gain using the internal player? ... or are you referencing gain associated with external sources connected to the unit?

I have had hundreds of different gear through my system over the years.
    There are no faults with my system.

You appear to be a dealer.
    Have your tech connect the A8 directly to an amp via RCA.
    Using the internal player (Tidal etc):
    Put a scope/analyzer on the speaker outputs.
    Measure the output (wpc) and compare it to the rated power output of the amplifier.

I would love to see the results.

As side note:
    HiFi Rose anticipated this and has adjustable pre-out settings (in preamp mode)

I passed on the HFR products after monitoring their forum for a year. There seem to be a number
    of software issues and a lack of true customer support - especially at a $5k USD price point.

Again - I am not complaining. This off-topic discussion was not initiated by me.
    It's just a factual observation.

10. Itch

Itch Member

Keith - be respectful.
    I have no interest in this thread turning in to a typical pissing match.
    There is enough of that in forums.

11. Purité Audio

12. gtb75

gtb75 New Member

You are the one who isn't being "respectful". Using all capital letters in some of your posts (which is "shouting" in internet etiquette), large text size, red text, foul language (in your quoted post here), etc.

13. Purité Audio

Respect has to be earned.
    Keith

14. Itch

Itch Member

@Purité Audio
    Please refrain from posting to this thread unless you have something helpful to say.
    I apologize if you were offended by my font (used to emphasize points) and the use of a slang term.

15. Purité Audio

It is you who should cease you are defaming a well engineered product .
    Keith

16. Itch

Itch Member

It appears to be a well engineered product, I agree.
    There is no intent on defaming the A8 whatsoever.
    Application of the product is just as important. You, as a dealer, should be more forthright.

Your interpretation of my posts (user observations) is misguided.

The above quote is what I was referencing as disrespectful. I have seen this behavior countless times and serves no purpose.

Now a third of this thread is not useful to other owners.

I look forward to the test results that I requested above.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2024
  17. Purité Audio

Where I put a scope on the speakers outputs?
    Keith

18. Itch

Itch Member

Your tech should know how to do this.
    He will need:
    Dummy load - (heat dissipating resistor greater than the stated output of the amplifier)
    DC Voltmeter - RMS
    O-Scope
    Signal Generator the A8 (1kHz) - for this test he should use a 1kHz signal originating from a streaming service so that we are measuring the internal player as a source.

Take the readings just below clipping (my guess is he will get nowhere close to clipping) - use ohm's law to calculate

Last edited: Feb 7, 2024
  19. _Richard_

_Richard_ Active Member

Never mind him. He doesn't even try to understand what people are saying. From day one beeng in this forum, all i see from him is going berserk. If i was a moderator in this forum i would give him a break for a couple of weeks to calm down.

20. bogdanozaurus

bogdanozaurus Member

I am not a dealer, I connect the A8 directly to my Yamaha AS 2100 amp, both via RCA and XLR, I use internal player (Roon LMS and NFS folder) and had no problem.
    Now I use it connected via XLR to an 300W power and I listen at about -30dB, but if I listen to the turntable on analog RCA I have to increase the volume to about -20dB.
    But also on the Yamaha, if I listened to the turntable on the phono input, I had to increase the volume compared to the CD input, so I don't think anything is wrong.