Turn Off Volume "Click"

Discussion in 'Eversolo DMP-A8' started by Itch, Feb 4, 2024.

1. Itch

Itch Member

Is there a way to turn off the sound the unit makes when increasing/decreasing volume.

2. Anøtek

Anøtek New Member

it's the switching of the relays that you hear it's a real mechanical noise, not simulated by a speaker

3. benma

benma Member

Some people buy A8 because of these clicks.

4. Glerup71

Glerup71 Active Member

I would happily buy an A8, because of the clicking, so you know the volume control is done right, without loss :)

Nutul and Erland Loyd like this.
  5. benma

benma Member

Clicking by itself doesn't help much if A8's output voltage is too low.

6. BillyVegas

BillyVegas Member

It’s output voltage is pretty much industry standard…
    4.2 v XLR
    2.1v RCA

BK

gtb75, Glerup71 and Nutul like this.
  7. benma

benma Member

Industry standard for what kind of devices? Eversolo declares their A8 as a preamp too. Preamps usually have much higher output voltage.

For example:
    Gustard P26: 9.5V (RCA) , 19V (XLR),
    Topping Pre90: 25V (RCA), 50V (XLR),
    Audio-GD D-28: 5V (RCA), 10V (XLR)

Even some all in one network players and DACs have much higher output voltage.

For example:
    Lumin D3: 3V (RCA), 6V (XLR). D3 sounds more powerful than A8. The difference between 4.2V and 6V is huge.
    Gustard DAC A22: 3V (RCA), 6V (XLR),
    Topping D90: 5V (XLR).
    Matrix Audio Element X1: 15V (XLR)

Based on my experience A8 as sounds quite good as a preamp, but it sounds much better connected to an external preamp.

P.S.: I'm an A8 owner.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2024
  8. Itch

Itch Member

That was my thought but had hoped I was incorrect.

Upon power on, there is a ton of relay noise as well.
    Thanks

9. Itch

Itch Member

I agree. Especially when using the RCA outputs.

Its output voltage is similar to my Cambridge CXN 2 V2.

I have several passive preamps with greater output.

It’s fine for moderate volumes but can be an issue for speakers that demand a lot of power.

I swap in my Sunfire 600 when I need it loud . The 600 watts provide sufficient dbs.

10. BillyVegas

BillyVegas Member

Some of those are some “hot” devices … are you sure about those numbers ?
    I looked at the matrix specs .. the voltage you are quoting is at +10db gain , 0db gain is around 4v and 2v XLR/RCA ….Industry standard …. I didn’t look at the others , but I’d guess they’re similar …. You have to look at the proper specs ..

Edit - the Gustard specs you quoted are “maximum” undistorted output …
    Apples to oranges …

regarding the TOPPING , no way it puts out 50v if it’s solely a preamp - you might be misunderstanding the numbers … what’s 50v pp ?

and …. 2-4v input should be plenty to get full rated power out of almost any consumer amp - again , industry standard…. Some amps require even less ( PS Audio S300 , 1.1v full rated power , for example )

if your device is putting out 15v to the amp , one or two clicks of the volume knob would blow you out of the room - you lose any “fine tuning “ of the volume- meaning small adjustments equal massive volume changes .

it doesn’t matter if the device puts out 4v or 50v , the amp will still put out its full rated power - the only difference it makes is how far the volume knob has to be turned to get that full rated power out of the amp - and how easily you can overdrive the amp to clipping.

a “passive” preamp will have “zero” output gain - hence the moniker “passive” ….
    If it’s adding voltage, it’s not passive.

and yes , the “bigger” an amp , the louder it will get - double the power will get you a 3db gain …

most any piece of audio equipment will have sufficient voltage to fully drive any amp …
    You really don’t need a preamp with gain if your device has enough voltage - more voltage just means volume knob is turned up less to get same amp output .

bk

Last edited: Feb 5, 2024
    Glerup71 and Nutul like this.
  11. BillyVegas

BillyVegas Member

it’s a “proper” analog preamp vs “digital “ preamp ….. that’s a “good” thing …
    The “holy grail” for a preamp ..

a digital preamp typically “shaves” “bits” off the signal to reduce volume - reducing dynamic range , adding distortion and degrading sound quality. An analog preamp reduces the voltage of the signal without any loss of “bits” , dynamic range or sound quality- that’s what the “clicking” relays are doing.

that “relay noise” should be music to your ears … that’s the R-2R ladder analog volume control - high end stuff ….

That’s a good thing !

bk

bogdanozaurus and Glerup71 like this.
  12. benma

benma Member

All numbers are correct. They are the possible output voltages that you can get out of those devices. A8's 4.2V are also rated at +10dB gain.

The input sensitivity of my mono blocks is 1.5V. So, they are enough sensitive. Their input impedance is 47kOhm, ok too.
    My old all in one digital device (Resolution Audio Cantata MC) has 5,5V (XLR) output voltage and some extra adjustable volume boost (max. +3dB) over its http interface. It's a huge difference between 4,2V and 5.5V.
    It's not about the volume, additional output voltage gives you better sound quality (dynamics, resolution, sound stage). The sound is more powerful, more precise.

In my opinion the minimal output voltage (XLR) should be at least 5 or 6V, the "industry standard" is too low. If you connect your A8 to an integrated amp, then 4,2/2.1V is probably sufficient, but if you connect it to the power amp or active speakers, it's not enough for a really good sound.

13. benma

benma Member

Not necessary.
    Lumin's Leedh digital volume control is loseless https://www.luminmusic.com/support-leedh-processing.html

14. Barry1969

Barry1969 New Member

Clicks from the relais is music to my ears, but the pops from the speakers are not!

bogdanozaurus likes this.
  15. Nutul

Nutul Well-Known Member

What do you mean, that while changing the volume you hear the relay clicks AND pops from your speakers...?

16. Barry1969

Barry1969 New Member

When changing source or when startup you can hear pops through the speakers.
    Not so loud that it wil damage speakers, but it sounds a bit "cheapo".

Nutul likes this.
  17. Bergholdt

Bergholdt Well-Known Member

I have no problem getting ‘really good sound’ from my active speakers when using their XLR input direct from A8’s XLR out.

The volume / sound is no different than when feeding them a wireless signal from my surround hub which can be connected to A8 via optical or RCA.

18. Barry1969

Barry1969 New Member

No problem here too, my power amp from Audiophonics wants 4.2 volts XLR, so no need for 5 or more volts.

I have tried 5 volts with my topping d90se dac, but could hear no difference btw

19. Itch

Itch Member

I should have been more specific.
    You are correct - passive add no voltage.
    The levels originate from the source - which is fed through the passive preamp.

In this case, the source is the A-8 which, in my case, will not facilitate maximum output of my amplifiers.
    This is my personal observation of how the unit operates in my system irrespective of industry standards.

20. BillyVegas

BillyVegas Member

Turn the volume all the way up on the A8

Bk