Apple Music file transfer

Discussion in 'Eversolo DMP-A8' started by HiFi, Jan 6, 2024.

1. HiFi

HiFi New Member

Need help on how to get my downloaded Apple Music on my DMP-A8 to go directly to my newly installed 4 TB SSD card. Currently my downloaded music is going straight to the internal 64 gig onboard storage, which is already full. Basically, how do I get the system to automatically recognize Apple Music to go straight to the SSD card? I can play my music just fine via Wi-Fi or wired connection but I prefer my Music downloaded to the SSD card.

2. Nutul

Nutul Well-Known Member

That's how Android deals with apps and their download locations.
    I guess you cannot.
    You can always move some music from the internal 64G somewhere else to free up some space; then whenever you download Apple files again, move them as well from time to time.

3. HiFi

HiFi New Member

All these DMPA8 reviews are little suspect now. For me after living with it for a little while now I’m starting to see the functionality is not that great and of course Apple Music doesn’t help.

4. Riley

Riley Member

It was my understanding that none of the streaming services would be able to download / use offline tracks with the Eversolo SSD, but after reading that you had offline music going to the system SSD, I found this tutorial on the Eversolo site seems to imply that it can be directed to an external usb drive. https://www.eversolo.com/Support/support_guide/guide_target/2gLIjLo7FPDeq7k9e[ld]3ulg==.html

I don't recall if any of the other streaming apps allow download for offline listening on the Eversolo, it seems like i tried it with Spotify and it wasn't working. At the end of the day, you have to remind yourself that the fact Apple Music works on the Eversolo at all is a work around and not officially supported by Apple. Have you researched how HiFi Rose handles Apple Music and offline storage ?

Nutul likes this.
  5. bogdanozaurus

bogdanozaurus Member

It's really simple, after opening the Apple Music application press the three dots in the top left corner, then Settings, below you'll find Download Options and from there choose SD Card.

6. bogdanozaurus

bogdanozaurus Member

upload_2024-1-6_18-35-2.png
    upload_2024-1-6_18-35-38.png

Nutul likes this.
  7. Bergholdt

Bergholdt Well-Known Member

I can confirm that my Apple Music playlists downloaded to my internal SSD after choosing ‘SD card’ in the Apple Music settings (three dots).

I can’t seem to find the folder used by Apple Music but the available space on the SSD went down while the space on ‘local storage’ kept the same.

This also fixes the problem that Apple Music sometimes doesn’t play back in the highest available quality. With downloaded files there are no such problems.

Nutul likes this.
  8. Nutul

Nutul Well-Known Member

If you can find them, of course... :-D

9. Bergholdt

As I understand, Apple Music plays back the downloaded files instead of streaming them again.

This means that if the A6/A8 was a phone, you would download on Wifi and then when away from the home, you can play the music without using mobile data (which is expensive/unstable in some countries…).

The files are not ment to be found due to music industry rights and they can only be played if you still are paying for a subscribtion…

Otherwise, you could just download the entire music database and unsubscribe and you would effectively now own all the music on Apple’s servers… :)

So, downloading is to conserve data and also lets you play back hi-res even if you are on a slow internet connection.

10. Bergholdt

…and I have Gigabit (1000/1000) fiber but sometimes Apple still thinks my internet is slow and doesn’t give me the hi-res files I have asked for under settings.

Downloading fixes this, so I always can play back hi-res files and get the hi-res lossless sign/logo inside Apple Music…

11. Bergholdt

SD card (SSD) with Apple Music:

Settings (three dots top right corner) and scroll down to ‘Downloaded music’ and click on it.

You can see a list and delete individual downloads by clicking three dots and choosing edit, pick a download and hit trash can/delete…

IMG_0229.jpeg IMG_0230.jpeg IMG_0231.jpeg

12. Bergholdt

And of course, if you want to download hi-res lossless, you need to set that under settings / Audio Quality…

IMG_0232.jpeg

13. Nutul

Nutul Well-Known Member

Got it,
    it does indeed make sense... BUT, do those files remain there forever, or do they go out of scope after sometime, or there is a sort of closed FIFO queue, limited to, say, 4h listening?

14. Bergholdt

Some songs are greyed out after download (download probably not allowed due to rights). Or maybe they were removed from Apple Music but still show up in my playlist where I added them? Or maybe this is the ‘time limit’ you mention. More research needed…

I believe, I read somewhere that if you run out of space (on iPhone) it will delete the oldest downloads before downloading new ones.

15. Nutul

Nutul Well-Known Member

Any of these sounds somehow valid to me; and when it is all allowed, the last one appears to be the logical choice. Then you just need to scatch the phone to find them out; but I suspect they are also somehow encrypted/scrambled, so you'll nbever be able to use them to your like, not even on the same phone... At Apple, how to say it... they know their sh*t ;-)

16. Bergholdt

I have this album downloaded but all tracks show up as grey. When I click artist name to see all albums of that artist, this album is nowhere to be seen.

I guess, it could also just have been removed for playback in Denmark but is maybe still available elsewhere?

IMG_0233.jpeg

17. Nutul

Nutul Well-Known Member

Cannot comment... unclear, though... ;-)

18. bogdanozaurus

bogdanozaurus Member

If you downloaded that album and then changed the download location from device storage to SD Card, that would be an explanation. I don't think he moves them from one place to another.

Nutul likes this.