Spotify connect volume

Discussion in 'Eversolo DMP-A6' started by Borumi, Jun 19, 2023.

1. Borumi

Borumi New Member

Just received DMP-A6 and sounds great. Is there a way to control spotify connect volume from iphone? On my previous moode(raspberry pi player) I was able to control volume up and down using my phone but on DMP-A6, volume doesn’t change even though I could see volume slider gets changed in Spotify app on my phone.

2. wcseow

wcseow Member

Ya
    Looks like one cannot control volume via the phone if using Tidal or Spotify Connect. I just test it with Volume Passthrough OFF. If there are changes, it’s too small for me to hear it.
    Am using Android

3. Borumi

Borumi New Member

Thanks @wcseow. Just trying to figure out if issue with my unit or Eversolo. Looks like it is a bug on Eversolo.

Norweger and Riley like this.
  4. Riley

Riley Member

Same here with my unit, no volume control from device using Spotify connect.

Norweger likes this.
  5. aznowicz

aznowicz New Member

Same here.
    I hope this will be fixed in a future release, because that bug is quite annoying for anyone using the streamer other than me (wife, kids...).
    :)

Riley and Norweger like this.
  6. Norweger

Norweger New Member

here i have same problem, not only with Spotify also with Tidal, it was working nice bevor 2 last Update.
    Right now i could not recoment my Eversolo

Riley likes this.
  7. paulc

paulc New Member

Same problem here... Just received my Master Edition, and happy with everything so far, except volume control simply missing :(
    Any update on that?

8. Riley

Riley Member

You can try the new software update that landed today and see if it's fixed, i saw something about volume button control in the release notes.

9. Riley

Riley Member

Update, I manually updated to the new version. I can report that there is volume control from my iphone and ipad buttons with both Spotify Connect and Airplay. I wasn't able to control the volume from my Macbook Pro running Spotify Connect as I am able to do with other Connect streamers. I was able to control the volume from my Macbook Pro when using Airplay.

To get this to work, Volume passthrough will need to be off, placing the DMP-A6 in variable volume /digital preamp mode. I found the volume steps to be pretty large, approximately 6 db per button press.

10. bald

bald New Member

Exactly the same in my case.

Riley likes this.
  11. FunnyChap

FunnyChap Member

Why would you cripple the sound quality using compressed Spotify?
    Instead, use a lossless streaming source such as Apple Music (which has lossless and hi-res lossless).

12. Riley

Riley Member

For me, I'm a long time Spotify user and have an extensive library built there, the user interface, music discovery algorithms, playlist beat all the others. Once you've gotten accustomed to Spotify Connect features and then try to use Apple, it's frustrating. With Spotify Connect I can be playing a song in my car, get to my house, open Spotify on Apple TV and it will pickup at the same spot in the track, then pick another song or playlist on my phone and it will pop up on my Apple TV. I'd prefer to listen to lossless but the rest of what I've mentioned keeps me with Spotify hoping they'll finally upgrade the catalog to lossless as has been promised. I most recently experimented with Amazon Music HD which has lossless and hi-res and the leap in the sound quality really isn't as vast as advertised, especially from lossless to hi-res. You are more likely to hear differences in dacs than you are in the resolution of songs on streaming platforms, this coming from someone with a professional recording/mastering background.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2024
    Nutul likes this.
  13. FunnyChap

FunnyChap Member

I got rid of Spotify because Spotify makes popping sounds when it can't play high notes. In the song by Lucero sings 'Y Volvero' and her high notes cause my speaker to pop (at 1:20 and 2:20), whereas it does not in Apple Music. This is not theory, play this song in Spotify and you'll hear it.

And in my 2017 Corvette with Bose (and noise cancelling), it's like a veil over my speaker was removed.

This is not theorizing, this is from my listening experience between compressed Spotify and Apple Music lossless.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2024
  14. Riley

Riley Member

I heard the song you referenced. There's definitely some crackle and distortion in that track, but that's the only song that I've personally heard do that. From my recording/mastering experience, that sounds to me more like an error, something likely went awry when that song was imported to Spotify's systems and converted to their streaming format. Either the source they imported was bad or some kind of processing happened and tweaked the levels too hot or just a bad normalization/file conversion. It doesn't happen with other songs with much higher notes on the platform that I've heard.

The music on these service is not always an apples to apples comparison :) Each of these streaming services likely add their own processing to the music you hear. They are normalized and encoded for streaming, Apple even has their own mastering process and Apple Digital Masters , but each streaming service approaches it differently. I've heard from the beginning of some saying Apple Music Lossless was subtly louder and punchier than the same song on other streaming services, which our ears and brain tend to perceive as sounding better. We have no idea what kind of sweetening/processing of the audio is happening on the back end of these streaming services as they compete to retain us as customers. I've personally decided to focus less on resolution and more about enjoying the music and the experience.

Nutul likes this.