Best way to transfer files to UHD5000's internal HDDs

Discussion in 'HDD Media player(RTD 1619BPD)' started by Retro-Markus, Sep 17, 2023.

1. Retro-Markus

Retro-Markus New Member

Hi everyone,

As the SMB-bug still exists I have been trying to find the best alternative way to send files to my UHD5000's internal HDDs. I tried an external SSD in a USB 3.0 case that gives me transfer rates between 280 and 300 MB/second when connted to my PC. Connecting it to one of the UHD5000's front USB-ports in order to transfer files with the player's file manager only gives me 40 MB/seconds from SSD to internal HDD which is pretty frustrating.

What are you guys using as a work-around until SMB-support will hopefully be working anytime soon?

Thanks for your help and best regards,
    Markus

2. Venmaster

Venmaster Member

You can still transfer to the root directory of the internal HDD and then just use the 'Zidoo File Manager' to cut and paste the files to the location you want on the internal HDD.

Annoying, yes but works.

Otherwise, I'd recommend investing in a NAS.

Retro-Markus likes this.
  3. Retro-Markus

Retro-Markus New Member

Thanks, that's a good hint. I'll try the workaround with the root directory.

I even do have a NAS but it's not located in my cinema room but in my office. "Thanks" to using Powerline adapters for transfering data from my office room to the cinema the bandwidth is limiting the use of the NAS to FullHD blu-rays. I need the internal drives of the UHD5000 for 4K material.

Thanks and best regards from Germany,
    Markus

Venmaster likes this.
  4. tc2007

tc2007 Active Member

I have an external SATA doc connected to my PC and I remove the HDD from the UHD and use the doc to transfer files (multiple large 50+ GB ones) to the HDD. Takes about 5-6 mins per file.

5. Temearoo

Temearoo Active Member

Last edited: Sep 20, 2023
  6. SebaFR74

SebaFR74 New Member

Hi all, is there someone succeded using ftp to the zidoo ? it would be a good help sometimes.

thanks

Thomas H likes this.
  7. dr4go

dr4go Member

@Retro-Markus: Apparently a new firmware for the boxes should arrive by September (I don't know when of for which boxes). The've already worked on the SMB issue, because for three boxes (not including yours, so far) are already alpha firmwares floating around with this issue fixed... still I like @SebaFR74 question... I personally did not try.

8. SebaFR74

SebaFR74 New Member

i tried with file manager, it works, but i can"t access the device :(
    And in the zidoo android i gave write permission, mais it strange when we launch file manager.
    Need to test other apps.
    And i see there is no more NASKit on the z20 pro, or if there is, how to install it, and where is the good file ?

We hop it will be for this month, and the smb will work again :)

Thanks

dr4go likes this.
  9. Retro-Markus

Retro-Markus New Member

I used such a dock when I still had my Zappiti 4K HDR Duo as transfer speeds with it were such a pain. I found it however very uncomfortable to remove the HDD from the bay, but it in the dock etc.

For the time being I will use Venmaster's hint, it works fine to transfer files/folders to the root folder of the internal HDD with 100MB/sec. and then move it to the right direction with the Zidoo file manager.

Cheers,
    Markus

10. SebaFR74

SebaFR74 New Member

You should connect your hdd enclosure usb in the USB back port, It is USB3 (blue in the inside) it will be faster.

11. Tony Torres

Tony Torres New Member

Having to move the hard drive to a dock and back to the machine is not safe for long term use. And it has taken this crazy company up to a year to support smb once a new unit comes out. My otehr zidoo just got fixed, and even then I had to use a leaked bios update from some othr web site. zappitti worked from day 1.