Licenced XMOS driver for Dac Z6 / Dac Z8

Discussion in 'Eversolo DAC-Z6 / DAC-Z8' started by Glerup71, Sep 6, 2023.

1. Glerup71

Glerup71 Active Member

Tien Tien, atomic garden and Nutul like this.
  2. Nutul

Nutul Well-Known Member

Let's see now what marvels Windows users will be able to hear, thanks to the "ultra low latency" the driver will allow to be set...

Glerup71 likes this.
  3. Glerup71

Glerup71 Active Member

Can only say that this Dac sounds incredibly good if you feed it with the right material, right now it's playing: Vanessa Fernandez / Billie Jean DSD512 played in roon, there's only one thing to say...WOW !!! Skærmbillede 2023-09-06 215609.png

Attached Files:

4. Glerup71

Glerup71 Active Member

If you want to have more info and settings on your Eversolo driver control panel, you can replace this file in the library where the driver is installed :) remember to unzip :)

Skærmbillede 2023-09-07 063121.png

Attached Files:

5. Winson Ad.

Winson Ad. New Member

udpate just now!

atomic garden likes this.
  6. Tien Tien

Tien Tien New Member

Thanks Glerup71 for sharing the link to the proper v5.58 XMOS USB driver for the Z6/Z8. Finally able to play DSD512 files via Foobar2000.

Z8_DSD512_01.jpg

Glerup71 and Topdude like this.
  7. Glerup71

Glerup71 Active Member

You are welcome :), and what about you @atomic garden , have you got your dac home from your friend and tried the new driver :)

8. atomic garden

atomic garden Member

Still waiting for him :mad:

He doesn't live in my city, so it's not that easy for me to go there. I think I will have to call the cops :D

Glerup71 likes this.
  9. rozel

rozel Well-Known Member

Whilst, as you know, I don't use Windows to feed my Z8, I have taken an interest in these posts to get a Windows Driver to work with yours. I feed mine from my Zidoo Z1000 Pro from music stored on an attached 4 drive RAID setup. I store by Folders based on music Format eg DSD / PCM /SACD etc etc. This is a brilliant find that has escapped me 'til now - just wonderful! And yes it sounds awesome too in Native DSD512 - thanks @Glerup71 :)

Topdude and atomic garden like this.
  10. Topdude

Topdude Active Member

Is it better to increase the buffers or leave it on automatic?
    And actually, what would be the benefit of either situation?

11. Nutul

Nutul Well-Known Member

If you are playing from local files, you probably can leave the buffers to a minimum.
    Streaming, or playing files from a SMB share, though, may benefit from larger buffers.

Topdude likes this.
  12. atomic garden

atomic garden Member

If you are talking about ASIO control panel buffer size, the reason for this adjustment to exist is to:

A) configure a lower playback latency for real-time audio applications (low buffer size)
    or
    B) be more reliable avoiding clicks and drop-outs with hardware/software that are somehow slow (higher buffer size)

As a side-effect, different values alters the sound signature.

As a rule of thumb, increasing buffer size gets you a more relaxed sound. Sometime perceived as "beefier", with more bass, but a slower bass.

Lower buffer sizes tend to reveal more details, sense of timing is more accurate, instrument separation is more defined.

It's a matter of preference, try and decide which one you like more.

One important note is that the player software must be configured to use the buffer size defined on the control panel. There are softwares that completely ignore it and have a fixed buffer size. Others players have an own buffer size adjustment, where sometimes the lowest value is not even close to the lowest value available on the ASIO control panel.

Glerup71 and Topdude like this.
  13. Nutul

Nutul Well-Known Member

I'm in awe. Never thought a buffer size could affect frequency response and sound presentation. One never stops learning.
    I may ask Amir at ASR to make some measurements playing around with ASIO buffer settings, to see if this is eventually (as it seems to indicate at least the "more bass") measurable.

atomic garden likes this.
  14. atomic garden

atomic garden Member

I love the work of Amir and all the ASR community, revealing that some costly equipment perform very bad. I actually purchased my Z8 and DPM-A6 mainly based on his reviews.

But those guys sometimes are blinded by measurments. And to make it worse, they make assumptions based on wrong measurements or just keep forwarding statements of something they never tried.

This thread is one example: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/asio-buffer-size.45981/

Lots of people say buffer size cannot alter the sound. Based on measurements or not, this is wrong. Some folks alter the ASIO buffer size and go test with a player that uses WASAPI. Or use a poor system overall. If employed correctly, buffer size and latency alter the perceived sound. Maybe it is just a matter of timming that cannot be measured by FR charts. Maybe the "more bass" and "more relaxed" perception is due to timing + psychoacoustics that cannot be measured on current equipment.

Digital audio reproduction on a multi-tasking O.S. with so many layers is quite complex.

On this thread at ASR, they talk about JPLAY. This is exactly the software I use (with HQPlayer) . JPLAY always received tons of criticism by people who din't even try it or don't know how to configure things. It has always been called snakeoil by some. I'm very sorry for the people who will never listen the best way a digital music can sound. Or people that even cannot distinguish the differences. I'm on this thing for almost a decade, always trying things and making tests an re-tests, sometimes having blind tests.

See, I'm all-in for science in every aspect of my life. But remember that one key of science is to constantly doubt about everything that is already settled (by the own science or by common belief), and to accept that we still don't know everything about all the things because our knowledge and measurements are limited.

If someone is interested, JPLAY forum has tons of information. A lot of research and work was put into this. But again, it's easier to pick a side, go with the flow and raise a flag against something that someone don't know sh** about :rolleyes:. I prefer the hard way, I always dig deeply into something I'm interested, spend hundreds of hours to understand how things work and how to get the best of it. But that's just me. Nothing wrong with picking the easy way, but this person shouldn't publicly attack something they don't know, it just makes him embarassed.

Sorry about any misspelling or something, english is not my native language.

Glerup71 and Nutul like this.
  15. Glerup71

Glerup71 Active Member

I hope that if Thesycon makes major changes to their driver, that Eversolo will supply them for their products, but I am not aware that payment must be made to Thesycon every time there are new drivers ? :)

16. atomic garden

atomic garden Member

I'm not sure if there's a need to pay the full license again or if they allow an upgrade/parcial payment for a minor release update. But normally something must be paid for every new release, unless the company has a different agreement with Thesycon.

Glerup71 likes this.
  17. Hawkmoon

Hawkmoon Member

Will this help me with an MQA playback issue I have when I connect my Z8 to my Innuos server or is this XMOS update only going to impact users who connect to a Windows or Linux PC?