Zidoo Z9X info randomly pops up

Discussion in 'HDD Media player(RTD 1619DR)' started by robl45, Sep 5, 2023.

1. robl45

robl45 Member

This just started happening and I have no idea why. I was thinking maybe had to do with my harmony remote, but really not sure.

When I hit the info button now, I can cycle through the states and the last one is the upper left hand corner showing some info. hit again and it disappears, but then randomly it will bring up the info part that covers the screen. Typically after a couple of tries of cycling through the info screens, it won't randomly pop up again, but what is even more annoying is now that info screen that covers the left side of the screen will just completely pop up randomly. While I was watching Guardian of the Galaxy 3, it popped up at least twice completely on its own unrelated to hitting the info button. When its related to the info button, it will typically pop back up in 30 seconds or less, these other ones were just completely random. Anyone else experiencing anything like this?

2. Deano86

Deano86 Active Member

I would start a movie, activate the Info command, then toggle it off and then cover up the IR receiver on the Zidoo with something and see if that eliminates the problem for the remainder of the movie. If it does, then you are getting stray IR signals from something.... or your remote has a bad button? Or if it still acts up with the IR receiver covered, then is the CEC HDMI control enabled? And your Zidoo is getting commands from elsewhere in your HDMI chain? Or simply do a hard boot..... power down the Zidoo and shut off the power switch in back.... wait for 30 seconds and power up and see what happens then.....

3. robl45

robl45 Member

Confirmed doing the same thing with zidoo remote and harmony remote. I don’t use the cec thing

4. Deano86

Deano86 Active Member

So, it still does it when you cover up the IR receiver on the front panel?

5. robl45

robl45 Member

It’s kind of random so hard to tell. I’ll try again this evening. Last night while I watched with my daughter I could get it to do it on command pretty much but this morning I tried to test and it wouldn’t do it. She wouldn’t let me play with the ir sensor last night

6. DzigiBau

DzigiBau Member

I have same issue which has started with this firmware 6.4.62. When I press Info button and close it, after a while it opens by itself. If I press button Info and then More to see codecs information, first screen pops up randomly, several times. The only temporary fix I found is to stop playing video content and start it again and watch it from the point I stopped video. It is not related to remote, I put it under pillow, Info banners pops up randomly anyway after you press Info button on remote. Therefore, I think it is a bug in the newest firmware which can be solved. Similar situation with Weather Widget which will not start automatically when you power up Zidoo, but if you open it manually throughout Settings, Other menu and return back to main menu, it will be there and it will be there if you reboot Zidoo, but it will not be there if you power it off and then power it on. It is a bug, which also can be solved with some tweaks in new firmware.

7. robl45

robl45 Member

Yes I was beginning to think it had to do with the new firmware. What drives me crazy is it will do it, then it will be fine, then it might do it again.

8. Deano86

Deano86 Active Member

I too am on the latest firmware and have never seen this behaviour and I use the Info option fairly often... and the Weather widget always seems to be there for me to use, if I actually wanted to use that worthless app.

9. robl45

robl45 Member

No disrespect meant, but this isn't really helpful. Clearly if me and a non related party have the issue, there is a problem. I never had this issue before , certainly not in the months that I owned this box until very recently. I also posted on another thread about the problem with HT4.0 exiting when I exit a movie/TV show depending on where I start said movie/tvshow from and that never happened before either.

10. DzigiBau

DzigiBau Member

First thing first. What is you rig, mine is Z1000Pro. It sounds Zidoo team compile the same firmware/software for different machines, trying to adjust everything differently for different machines.

I saw some people with different Zidoo models, with the same firmware have problem with network and SAMBA implementation, using one-on-one connection with their PCs and behavior of Zidoo models is different, from very slow to very fast. Yes, it could be lousy setup from users end, but setting up local network, with LAN cable, using Static IP is not so hard and it is the same play for everybody, but Zidoo models show different behavior.

I can comprehend and let me say know exactly where is the Info banner popping up issue but I am not willing to spend couple of hundreds Euros and to program my Zidoo firmware by myself, every time when Zidoo team fails to provide us good firmware. Some other probably have a time and knowledge to program bug fixes and offers it to Zidoo team for distribution and I am not the one although I have some time and certain knowledge. I paid for product and I want it to work properly without reprogramming its firmware every time it has a bug. This newest firmware is beta, I know, but beta versions are here to be released more often in order to make newer version of firmware better than previous one in accordance with information from us, users. Simple as that.

Finally, Android implementation inside Zidoo is ridiculously slow although Zidoo has CPU, RAM and Chipset powerful enough for very smooth behavior, but it is not so smooth. You know why? Because of very poor programing from Zidoo side, using Android core adjusted for Zidoo different needs and apps, which has to have some skilled programing.

11. robl45

robl45 Member

I upgraded to get the google play. I really wish I hadn't as this is exactly what I didn't want. I had a home theatre PC that was a pain, I wanted something simple that even my wife could use which I had until it started doing these glitchy things that others aren't going to understand.

12. DzigiBau

DzigiBau Member

That could cause a problem too, since I used non-G version most of time and this behavior has started with Google Play version of firmware. I am not sure about this one, it can be coincidence and it can be poor programing of G versions, too.

Anyway, Zidoo uses Android 9 for phone/tablet , some basic version, which is weird since that version of Android has a specific drivers stricture, programmed for phones and tablets. I do not know why is that, there is no reasonable explanation but to decrease some costs from Zidoo side. For instance, install SpeedTest form Google Play, that is app for testing internet speed, open it and try to press button Go with remote. No way, you can do it, you need to enable mouse mode on your remote and then drive little arrow go Go button or to use mouse. You will find out that SpeedTest app opens very slowly compared with opening speed on your phone and tablet, which has proper Android version for them.

Zidoo needs Android version dedicated to televisions or media stream devices, preferably Android 11 or higher and then we shall be good. That version would offer stream services also, like Netflix and Others. Explanation that Zidoo is dedicated for playing internal videos only is for little kids and not-serious people. This machine can provide excellent streaming services which depends on Android version only. We have 1Gbps ethernet port, 4K capabilities, Dolby Atmos sound and we do not have proper Android version in order to use streaming option at all.

13. Deano86

Deano86 Active Member

I think you believe that my post isn't helpful only because my experience does not perfectly jive with your theory that this is due to the latest firmware. Me pointing out that I have not seen any symptoms of this Info banner problem on this firmware simply shows that clearly there is something else going on in addition to firmware level that is causing this annoying issue for you.

As always when weird things happen with a Zidoo, one should always do a hard reboot... power down, remove power or shut off the main switch ... wait for 30 seconds or so and then try again. Of which I assume you have done already? Then of course, there is the supposedly dreaded factory reset option.. Were I forced to do that I would simply note my main Settings and back up my HT4 and in lieu of constantly just being annoyed by the problem, I would give it a shot.

I recently finally reset and cleared out my several years old HT4 database and I found that my prior intermittent issue with local trailer playback causing crashes back to my HT4 landing page have totally stopped. So you never know...

14. Tim Brown

Tim Brown New Member

I had this same problem for awhile. After loading the most recent firmware update and doing a hard reboot as described above, the problem disappeared.

Deano86 likes this.
  15. DzigiBau

DzigiBau Member

I have done that after every firmware update. Anyway, I did hard reset last night and soft reset Settings/Other/Clear system apps and data which resets my HT4 database also and problem remains. Info banner starts popping up after I press Info button. The problem have started with recent firmware update.