Xmos firmware v1.15 for Z6/Z8 Dac

Discussion in 'Eversolo DAC-Z6 / DAC-Z8' started by Glerup71, Aug 27, 2023.

1. Glerup71

Glerup71 Active Member

After updating the firmware on the Xmos chip to v1.15, it now accepts 32 bit music files, before it was only 24 bit :)

Attached Files:

rozel and atomic garden like this.
  2. Nutul

Nutul Well-Known Member

Glad to see you were able to download and update the firmware :)
    Have you tried to play some DSD512 over USB connection (that is, not D2P / DoP)?

3. Glerup71

Glerup71 Active Member

Yes, I have tried native DSD512, with my own modded driver, and it works quite well :)

4. Nutul

Nutul Well-Known Member

So maybe it's time to call out at all the people that were crying for not being able to play DSD512 natively from their Windows boxes...
    There is a thread somewhere mentioning native DSD or something... we could just bump there reporting this.

Can you quickly summarize what the XMOS update is all about?
    Did you also install the 1.0.0.54 software version? Can you also comment on it?

Thank in advance you for your time.

5. atomic garden

atomic garden Member

Read all the sentece:

"with my own modded driver"

@Glerup71 can you run the same test without your modded driver? I guess you would need to uninstall it, restart Windows and test.

Glerup71 likes this.
  6. Glerup71

Glerup71 Active Member

When I did the Xmos firmware update from v1.13 to v1.15 I noticed that my modded Thesycon driver v3.38 went from 24 bit to 32 bit PCM playback

In order to play native DSD512, you still need the Thesycon driver, which we are unfortunately still waiting for...

Software 1.0.0.54 on the dac, I can't really see any difference

7. atomic garden

atomic garden Member

We posted at the same time :D

So, already answered. Thank you

Glerup71 likes this.
  8. Nutul

Nutul Well-Known Member

Hmm... so the firmware allows for more fine-tuning, but the driver is what DOES the thing... sad to see we're not yet there...

BTW, on my moOde player I see the DAC (a Z8) exposes the following formats as native: S16_LE, S32_LE, SPECIAL, DSD_U32_BE, where SPECIAL is supposed to be MQA, IMO.
    As you see, no 24 bits (which I understand, as it's easy to use the CPU native data boundary - 4 bytes (8 == 64bit for both channels) - instead of 3 (or 6 for both channels...), avoiding padding.
    This is under Linux, of course. Windows may have all sort of data mangling, FWIW...

9. Glerup71

Glerup71 Active Member

Now I have been running with firmware v1.15 for a while and I must say that it seems to have fixed some bugs, the changes between the different formats are more silent, there are no more pop sounds

rozel and atomic garden like this.
  10. chrisdata

chrisdata New Member

May I know how to update?

11. Glerup71

Glerup71 Active Member

A program with either the Xmos or Thesycon driver is included to transfer the firmware to the xmos chip, and of course it takes place in Windows

Skærmbillede 2023-09-04 172010.png

Last edited: Sep 4, 2023
  12. Nutul

Nutul Well-Known Member

Yeah, that's the only s**t... to update the xmos on my Z8 I'll need some trickery, as I don't have any Windows machine at home, apart one virtual one; maybe I can try with it, it should work too, but I'd preferred a Linux tool.

13. Glerup71

Glerup71 Active Member

If you have a Apple computer ?

https://www.thesycon.de/eng/usb_dfu.shtml

14. Nutul

Nutul Well-Known Member

Glerup71 likes this.
  15. Topdude

Topdude Active Member

Cant find any update xmos 1.15 anywhere???

upload_2023-9-7_18-52-18.png

16. Glerup71

Glerup71 Active Member

You will have to uninstall the new driver, and then install my modded driver, where you will find the flash program

17. Topdude

Topdude Active Member

How do I connect to the PC? It is connected through the USB B, but I guess that is not good, since it cant find the device

upload_2023-9-7_20-6-57.png

18. Glerup71

Glerup71 Active Member

Did you uninstall the new driver and install my modded driver?

Topdude likes this.
  19. Topdude

Topdude Active Member

Driver install

upload_2023-9-7_20-19-29.png

20. Topdude

Topdude Active Member

Yes I did, but the modded wont install