Topping E50 thru Z9X usb no audio out on denon 3700h reciever

Discussion in 'HDD Media player(RTD 1619DR)' started by cucnz, Aug 30, 2023.

1. cucnz

cucnz Active Member

E50 arrived yesterday
    Atm its wired
    Z9X - usb cable- Topping E50 - Rca to denon 3700h Audio in 1 (z9x is on hdmi 4 but assignable ie ive tried it with rca on audio 4 too with it set to auto )

E50 can show audio types changing ie displays pcm 192 for flac 24/192 tracks and DSD 2.82/etc when i switch to DSF tracks

if i swap the rcas from E50 over to a cheap 5.1 Bray player and set that to Aux i do get audio coming out

if i set 3700h to hdmi 4 and select info it shows
    source z9x
    sound multich stereo
    signal pcm
    audessy off

if i set 3700h to 1(analog rca) info shows
    source z9x
    sound stereo
    signal analog
    audessy off

but im getting no audio from the amp either way

I also tried usb dac from pc using Foobar
    it too would show dsd or flac playing and Topping E50 would change display each time correctly ,but still no audio out from main denon 3700h

Any suggestions where im going wrong

Also ,when it seemed like Z9X on latest f/w wasnt outputting usb audio ,i went and purchased UAPP
    ,and same results

2. toshu

toshu Member

I am running the Z9X through another Topping and UAPP and it works via RCA. Check to make sure that you have allowed UAPP to send audio via USB to Topping.
    Also, I just bought another Topping, which I have only used with PC/Foobar and headphones...but, it requires a selection in the Topping whether I want HP only , output to amp only or both

Check these things out.

3. cucnz

cucnz Active Member

LMAO
    figured it out

3700h for most of the world gets a wired in antenna/fm slot and no tuner audio slot
    3700h for NZ doesnt get the inbuilt tuner ,but has an extra set of audio in ports

grabbing the first image that googled up ,i got the rest of the world model ,so counting left to right to install the RCA (cant get access to back of tuner,so have to count blind :p )

i had tried stepping thru inputs ,but never got to tuner , also tuner isnt included in the assignable ports ,so i could never "see it

in other words i was 1 off :p

well ,its now working from pc to denon
    gotta replug for z9x now :)

MP7 doesnt output over the usb to dac
    UAPP is working well ,thou its ugly as hell to use

Audio is noticeably better
    Highs are more open ,lot more detail in mids ie picking out more background vocalists
    and bass seems deeper and more responsive ,compared to the denons onboard DAC
    (3700 series came out just after the fire that took out a lot of chip processing and denon had to go to ess on a lower model or so the story goes)

The E50 has the latest ess ...68 dac ,with near top of the scale measurements think it got 3rd or 4th rank on the Audio testing charts

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 31, 2023