YouTube App versus Chrome

Discussion in 'ZIDOO X9' started by Geon, Mar 23, 2015.

1. Geon

Geon New Member

I'm still working to figure out the issue with the YouTube apps (yes, there are two..one is for "Google TV"). Neither will give me anything better than 720p. So I tried to access YouTube.com via Chrome - and I noticed that it threw me into the mobile site (m.youtube.com). I was able to view videos. I then told Chrome to use the "Desktop" site, and I was NOT able to view videos.

Why is the Zidoo being detected as a mobile platform? Could this be the reason that YouTube is limited the quality of the videos? Could this also be the reason why NetFlix and Hulu are limiting the streaming quality?

2. bovoro

bovoro Member

maybe changing build.prop to detect like a nexus 7 for example, but this requires root your Zidoo.

3. Jens

Jens Member

4. Geon

Geon New Member

I don't want a hack solution for this..this is something the developer should be exploring.

Jens - do we need to root the system? I've had great success with getting into the box (SSH) and altering system files

5. Jens

Jens Member

Well, until now I did not see any requirement for rooting the device. It seems that all my wanted apps are available from the playstore without hacking the buildprop... until now ;) In your case it might be an Option to evaluate whether the wanted streams are usable in case the Zidoo box identifies as another device. I did such a tweak for an older smartphone that i had to get a better compatibility with the playstore.

Geon likes this.
  6. Geon

Geon New Member

I'll look into it. I would consider the Logitech Revue a good build prop to copy...at least for testing Hulu and NetFlix. However, the PlayStore doesn't really like the Revue anymore. I'll look around to see which devices are officially supported by NetFlix/Hulu for surround sound and HiDef.

7. bovoro

bovoro Member

more time passes ,im more convinced , windows 8.1 boxes its the best solution for full hd on netflix youtube ,etc im looking a eye a few windows boxes, powered by intel M