Issue with TrueNAS Scale and NFS share for Z9x

Discussion in 'HDD Media player(RTD 1619BPD)' started by kosta88, Jul 23, 2023.

1. kosta88

kosta88 New Member

Hello,

I am confronting an issue when trying to access an NFS share on TrueNAS Scale from an Zidoo Z9x media player - Z9x simply can't access the NFS share. However, settings should be correct because:

- Z9x can mount an NFS share on another NAS, a Synology

- an alternative Linux server (Ubuntu) can mount an NFS share on the TrueNAS Scale

So, neither seems to be wrongly configured.

I also tried moving the Zidoo in the same network as the TrueNAS (which is also same as Synology), however I didn't expect anything with this, as I see no issues on the firewall.

I triplechecked all relevant settings:
    Path is: /mnt/SVDEV01/Media
    It's enabled, Mapall User root, Security SYS, no restrictions in network or hosts.
    NFS is started and no specific settings have been made for NFS.

I am binding the NFS in Zidoo as this (same as Synology basically, which is working):
    nfs://<IP>/mnt/SVDEV01/Media

The only additional setting Synology has is the checkbox "Enable asynchronous", which is checked by default.

I also used to have TrueNAS Core, and I know that NFS access on both NAS was working, I had it set up like that. So I believe it is some kind of incompatibility between TrueNAS Scale and Z9x.

I posted this on TrueNAS forums too, but maybe someone here has some suggestions for me.

Thank you

2. Vantskruv

Vantskruv New Member

I cannot help you, but I had a similar problem with my Synology.
    Hence, I forgot to set the "squash" setting in the NFS permission settings to "Map All Users to Admin" in my Synology NAS.

May you forgot some permission settings?
    Or can it be so there is some type of NFS protocol mismatch?

3. kosta88

kosta88 New Member

Permission, unlikely. I set the squash to root, so it should map to it. I also have another user except root, which also has admin privileges, doesn't matter which one I choose.

Btw. the message is exactly "Device not be found". And yes, exactly that, grammatically incorrect.
    I basically go to RESCAN NFS, leave Port Scan at 111 and manually try to add the IP. This is the exact configuration that works with Synology.

As for NFS protocol mismatch, it is using NFS3 by default, since NFS4 has not been activated explicitly. Which it isn't.

I also found on another thread that I should activate NETBIOS-NS, which I did, however that didn't help. NB doesn't have anything to do with NFS really.

And one other thing:
    I now alternatively tried with SMB, and this is also giving me issues. I can connect to the share (shared folder), but I cannot go further. No matter the permission. I tried new local user too, create new Dataset with both Unix and SMB permissions,...

It's really weird that I get issues ONLY with Z9x. Both Windows and MacOS work without a glitch, and my Linux server also mount shares throught the systems.

On top of everything, connecting Z9x to a Windows share, like a simple file-server with some shares, doesn't seem to work.

4. kosta88

kosta88 New Member

I see I posted in the wrong forum. I have non-pro Z9X. Besides, I also have other issues with SMB. Can the topic be moved to the normal Z9x forum please?

And, I am also having another issue: it seems I can't authenticate via SMB with an active directory user? Zidoo doesn't need to authenticate against AD, but simply send correct credentials to the NAS. Currently testing with Synology, since it's more known.
    Is there a chance to authenticate with domain\user or user@domain.com ?

5. kosta88

kosta88 New Member

Further analysis has shown that NFS access on TrueNAS Core, as I used to have it before Scale, does work as usual. However, a downgrade to Core would be counter-productive and also very time-consuming.
    I am pretty sure now that there are compatibility issues between TrueNAS Scale and Z9x.

It would be very helpful, if you could tell me what does Zidoo require from NFS exactly, so that I could see if I can make it work with TrueNAS Scale.

6. Sneffets

Sneffets New Member

Did you ever come up with a solution for this? I am running a similar setup...TrueNAS-SCALE-22.12.4 both the NFS and SMB shares are working, as I can connect via my MacOS, Windows, and Debian server...so very odd...

7. kosta88

kosta88 New Member

Yeah, I did, kinda: reinstalled Core. After couple of emails with support, it was clear Zidoo and Scale don’t work together.

8. Anthony Steffens

Anthony Steffens New Member

Ahh...I think I say that post. I don't want to go that extreme...so it appears it is "simply" due to their lack of "proper" support for anything newer than NSFv2? I was able to get it connected using SMB by enabling the NETBIOS-NS like they mentioned in another post (and above). Works good so far...but I prefer NFS. I am a Custom Installation Dealer signed up with Zidoo/Eversolo (and a CIO with 25+ years of computer and network experience), and a long time high-end Plex user. These players are no doubt very powerful, so I am making some notes and hoping they will listen. Having tested a lot of "high-end" media players, DACs', etc...these are quite amazing...but the software needs some tweaks and they could easily more "main stream" as a very high-end cost effective digital media/movie player. Fingers crossed