Sony TV doesn't recognize Z9X for CEC?

Discussion in 'HDD Media player(RTD 1619DR)' started by NoahFecks, Feb 9, 2023.

1. NoahFecks

NoahFecks New Member

I have a Sony A9G that recognizes all my other peripherals in Bravia Sync (Shield Pro, Apple TV4k, Vizio Elevate soundbar, even the Sony UHD BD player connected to the soundbar HDMI), so that when I turn on, say, the Apple TV, the TV turns on as well as the soundbar and proper inputs are selected. My Z9X will not do any of this, and it's not listed in the Bravia Sync settings with everything else. It's connected directly into HDMI 1 on the TV and all CEC settings on the Z9X are on. The Bravia Sync list has an "enable" button to press to recognize CEC enabled devices, but even after pressing it the TV still does not recognize the Z9X.

Anyone here have CEC working correctly on a Sony TV, and if so, how did you get it working?

2. Netmask

Netmask Well-Known Member

Let me know! I've turned off CEC in all of my gear. The results were to so variable, practically depended on how you held your mouth facing south....:(

3. NoahFecks

NoahFecks New Member

I've never had an issue with any other players until this one. This is the only unit I have to use the soundbar remote for volume and the TV remote to power on and off the TV and soundbar.

4. NoahFecks

NoahFecks New Member

No idea what happened but suddenly my TV recognizes the Z9X in BraviaSync and I now have CEC working with it! There's been no firmware update (still on 6.4.42), but at least now I can control the volume with my V10 mini remote. Possibly an update from Sony on the TV, but I haven't seen any messages regarding it. Just hope it stays this way!

5. Jimbo Randy

Jimbo Randy Active Member

I've always hated CEC on like every device I've ever tried it on. My personal recommendation is to never use CEC or ARC/eARC. They're always broken in some way or another.

I personally just turned off volume control on the zidoo and I just adjust volume with my AVR.

6. rozel

rozel Well-Known Member

As Mark says: - "CEC is the work of the devil" - he's not wrong. But recently I have started using ARC/eARC because I'm feeding my TV's audio to both my AVR and a Sound Bar depending on what I'm watching.

AngryVirginian likes this.
  7. AngryVirginian

AngryVirginian Active Member

I factory reset my Z10 Pro last week and CEC did not work after the reset. I unplugged a couple of HDMI inputs from my Denon receiver and rebooted Zidoo, TV, and receiver. CEC started working again from the Zidoo.

CEC is indeed the work of the devil.

8. Jimbo Randy

Jimbo Randy Active Member

Yea I don't even attempt to use CEC anymore, lol. I'm fine using three separate remotes lolol. At least it works.

Netmask likes this.
  9. rozel

rozel Well-Known Member

My Harmony Elte Remote / Hub works famously once you've mastered how it works in detail. I block CEC with HDMI Blockers as CEC messes with Harmony. Currently I'm trying to figure out how to change the audio out from my LG TV from HDMI (ARC) to Optical and visa versa - it's a right pita when Harmony doesn't show the commands on its Device Menus

10. NoahFecks

NoahFecks New Member

I don't have any CEC or eARC issues with any other equipment. My TV is plugged into my soundbar via eARC, and I have an AppleTV 4K, NVIDIA Shield and the Z9X all connected to the other 3 HDMI ports on the TV, plus a Sony UBP-X700 UHD BD player connected to one of the HDMI ports on the soundbar. The TV recognizes all of these peripherals and I have no issues controlling volume or turning one of them plus the TV and soundbar on or off with their respective remotes, all except for the Z9X that is. Yes, it was very short-lived that it was recognized by the TV, as it's not working again and I'm back to having to use the soundbar remote for volume. I'm actually quite surprised to hear so many people having so many issues with CEC since I've never really had any until the Z9X. Well, I did once where nothing was connected and I thought it was the TV but it turned out a simple reboot of the soundbar got everything working again. That was the ONLY issue I've ever had. I'm just so used to using a single remote all the time, apparently I'm lucky and spoiled. LOL

11. AngryVirginian

AngryVirginian Active Member

I read on Reddit r\hometheater that some TVs or soundbars or receivers (don't remember which) have a max CEC capacity of 4 devices total. Might worth a try to unplug one or two of the devices and reboot everything to see whether CEC starts working on the Zidoo or not.

12. NoahFecks

NoahFecks New Member

That makes sense, although I previously had a Roku Ultra connected to the same HDMI cable/input that the Z9X is connected to now and the CEC worked perfectly fine on the Roku. Again, never had any issues until the Z9X came along. I will try experimenting with disconnecting other devices and see where it goes. If it does turn out there's one too many devices connected I'll just have to decide who the odd man out is.
    EDIT: I just did a quick search and the Sony TVs allow for 1 TV, 1 audio system or soundbar and up to 3 playback devices for BraviaSync (CEC). I disconnected the BD player from the soundbar since it's the easiest to disconnect, and the Z9X now appears in the list and works with CEC. I don't know why I was able to have 4 devices working before but at least now I know what the issue is and can deal with it. Thanks for the advice!

Last edited: Mar 2, 2023