Zidoo Pro 10 is AMAZING as an audio transport into a high end DAC.

Discussion in 'HDD Media player(RTD 1619DR)' started by witchdoctor, Jan 17, 2023.

1. witchdoctor

witchdoctor Member

I got the Zidoo to be able to use Dolby Vision with my PJ. Using it for audio/music was the furthest thing from my mind. I have a Sony TA-ZH1ES DAC which the Zidoo correctly identified as being capable of up to 32/768 kHz via PCM/USB. Whether I am playing a file on my hard drive or streaming from Tidal, WOW, the Zidoo sounds fantastic. I have tweaked it a little (iFi Audio iPowr X power supply, Pangea ethernet cable) but like it so much I don't feel I need to add a dedicated music transport.
    Are there any other audiophiles using the Zidoo as a transport for audio? I have my audio settings set to the Raw audio out and in USB set it to 24/192 instead of EDID.

2. rozel

rozel Well-Known Member

Welcome to the Forum btw - I see you've already had marvellous support from Mr Maestro ( aka @Markswift2003 ). Yes I and a number of others have experience using the Zidoos (non-Dac enabled) with external DACS (USB Audio) and they are marvellous. There are terrible shortcomings with Music Player (I assume you've updated to the latest Zidoo firmware) and if you have the _G firmware, then I'd recommend installing Google Play Store and have a look at UAPP (USB Audio Player Pro) - has a 7-day free trial (with a couple of limitations) but it is very cheap to enable permanently (< $10) and there are a couple of in-app purchase options, namely a Parametric Equaliser and a Headphone "Clone" app - I think called Morphit. It also supports Qobuz and Tidal, the latter which supports MPA. Anyways if you have the latest firmware on your Zidoo, you will already have Music Player 7 (MP7) and once you've sucessfully saved your library/folders and scraped, you'll have reasonable playability at excellent playback quality - Native DSD for example.

You have of course already have an external DAC to use the Audio output for - ask away should you have further questions.

3. witchdoctor

witchdoctor Member

Razel, I have the upgraded version of USB Audio Player Pro but prefer using the Tidal app or Music Player 7.

Do you know if it is possible to stream Atmos recordings from Tidal via HDMI to my atmos HT?

4. witchdoctor

witchdoctor Member

Any thoughts about android/google based music services like youtube music? Using google drive as a music server?

5. witchdoctor

witchdoctor Member

FWIW I figured out how to get my PC to "see" the Zidoo samba server. You have to go into windows settings and turn on file sharing with samba. Once you do that you need to reboot and BAM, can see it right in my network and I am transferring music files from the PC into the newly installed 10TB hard disk in the Z10Pro.

6. rozel

rozel Well-Known Member

I don't use my Zidoo in the way you do as an audiophile - youtube music is inferior quality to Tidal - rozel

7. witchdoctor

witchdoctor Member

Thanks for the heads up, I can't really tolerate Spotify because of the compression so will avoid youtube music. Apple and Quboz both sound overly bright in my rig. If anyone has tips on building a library of ripped DSD or SACD files that would be a plus. I never ripped SACD's before.