X1 temperature issue

Discussion in 'ZIDOO X1' started by Bluesmanuk, Jul 12, 2015.

1. Bluesmanuk

Bluesmanuk Member

Up to today my X1 was chugging along between 61 and 72 degrees C.

But today, it has constantly shot up to 86 degrees and caused the box to essentially lock up for long periods of time.

Checked the running processes in the background and killed all but the necessary but it still hits this high where I have to physically remove the ac adapter to get it to start again.

Anybody else seen similar issues?

I saw a couple of posts on another thread about it but can't remember where they were.

2. spring

spring Guest

hi:
    This is core temperature,and the core temperature will be limited to less than 105 degrees.
    Fisrt,the core temperature have small percentage of error,maybe 5~10 degrees.
    second,surface temperature remained below 50 degrees.

3. KainXS

KainXS New Member

I did for me what happens is that soon as the box hits 86C(might be 85) it will throttle core # 4(sometimes it will lockup completely) and repeat as it falls between 84(threshold it seems) and 86(throttle temp) to prevent overheating I guess. This happened to me after benching for a while and streaming while running some stuff in the background, in kodi though it did not happen since kodi is using only 2 cores.

heres a pic to show what happens
    Screenshot_2015-07-12-12-00-58.png Screenshot_2015-07-12-12-04-57.png

maybe its only a few boxes that do this?

Last edited: Jul 13, 2015
  4. Bluesmanuk

Bluesmanuk Member

But at nearly 20C below the maximum permitted, it is not good to see it locking up like this, which does beg the question of whether the heat dissipation is sufficient enough for long term usage.

5. spring

spring Guest

We are at 45-degree high temperature environment, continuous video playback 72 hours no problem.

6. Bluesmanuk

Bluesmanuk Member

Interesting.

Almost half what I am getting and mine is in an area where there is plenty of room for heat to dissipate around it.

This would seem to indicate that my unit has some kind of fault.

7. spring

spring Guest

hi:
    witch task does have 4 cores to run?To raise the temperature to 86 degrees must be 4 cpu work generally 80% to 100%. And this situation is basically not occur, unless some special test software.
    kodi only 2 cores,because decoder is hw decoder,render is hwcomposor,the cpu only to demux the stream,this is just a small part of the work.

8. Bluesmanuk

Bluesmanuk Member

I just switched mine on for the first time today and the temp at startup is 63C, with nothing running and minimal background processes.

Just leaving it idle for s couple of minutes it drops to 59c but that is still far higher than 45.

CPU 1 and 2 are running at around 9%, with 2 and 4 disabled.

9. KainXS

KainXS New Member

thats actually stress test that I used to recreate whats happening to show you spring but I was seeing this in antutu also after 2 or 3 runs, also during streaming, in kodi though it does not happen because as you said its only using 2 cores and the max I saw in kodi was about 75 - 79C with an ambient temp of about 80F, also blue those are about the same idle temps I was getting also. My unit is down right now I'm trying to do a mod to the heatsink but had to order some thermal glue.

I'll attatch a pic I took on kodi earlier(black screen because kodi screenshots look like that during video playback) and the video is HD Bees here(played it back a few times) http://4ksamples.com/honey-bees-96fps-in-4k-ultra-hd/

and a pic of what the launcher idle after booting, did not wait to see if it dropped though.

hope it helps :)

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 14, 2015
  10. Bluesmanuk

Bluesmanuk Member

The high temps are really starting to affect my unit badly now.

I'm trying to record videos to post reviews to youtube but it's like recording in stop motion with all the lockups.

11. spring

spring Guest

hi:
    which temps do you means?core temps or surface temps?
    stop motion:
    can you press home key to check the system is live?maybe there is the other reason.

12. Bluesmanuk

Bluesmanuk Member

The temperature recorded by the software.

Whether it is core or surface is not really relevant here because the box is getting to 86C quite quickly and then behaving very erratically and locking up all of the time.

I've flashed the ROM fresh and with no changes and it still exhibits the same behavior.

When it reaches this stage, pressing the home key might take it home after about 2 minutes.

It is that unresponsive and I end up having to remove the ac power to get it to even restart again.

13. spring

spring Guest

Hi:
    It looks very strange,it must some process use cpu high rate,do you install some apk or other process?Can you input command "top -m 5" by adb?

14. Bluesmanuk

Bluesmanuk Member

I looked carefully at the processes, which is why I flashed the ROM from scratch and made no changes to see how it performed without any additional APK's installed.

Before that I had killed all but the most important processes in order to eliminate any odd behaving app.

15. myroman

myroman New Member

I left today a device turned on. On home screen of launcher.
    After two hours i get back on it and the measured cpu temp was 70C!?
    Of course, the device itself was pretty hot on touch (bottom of the device).
    Is it this regular temp.?

16. Bluesmanuk

Bluesmanuk Member

70C would be cool for me.

Mine regularly reaches 86C after less than 20 minutes use.

17. Alan.W

Alan.W New Member

As nothing is running - 37-40C.
    While running Kodi (2h) - IPTV Streams 1080p - 75C.
    Overall this is OK

18. barisg

barisg Member

I download the file and played with the default video player. Apart from the other lacks and incapabilities, due to Android 4.4.2, this device is clearly optimized to play 4K and other video formats.

I am clearly amazed to see the astonishing video and play quality on my 47" LG660S FullHD Smart TV. It would have been much better on 4K TV. 60$ does not sound expensive anymore at all, as I manage to play high resolution video on this device, without any problem. Here is the temperature graph after the play. Default Player 4K.JPG

When I played the 4K video file with Kodi, Kodi started a bit late with lag, and the video paused couple of times until 02:50, then the video compleately frozen afterwards till the end at 03:47, while the music plays. I assume it is Zidoo modified Kodi 14.2 (ZDMC) problem.

When I played the file second time with Kodi, it lagged a lot and the video fozen at 01:34. Here is the temperature graph after the play. Kodi 4K Play.JPG

When I played the file with ES Media Player of ES File Manager. It did not pause or frozen. Played like a charm as it is on the default player.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2015
  19. Adl

Adl Member

For temperature issue, my solution was to put the bottom side of player , up.