Video Buffering problems with Network Streaming with NFS or SMB

Discussion in 'ZIDOO X9S' started by Ppoulos, Nov 10, 2016.

1. Wang

Wang Member

HaoSs

How did you set your x9s as a NAS , I can't see the x9s on my network .

2. HaoSs

HaoSs Well-Known Member

Box has 2 os. Other is Openwrt.

3. Wang

Wang Member

Thanks, how do you set up samba in android . Been having a go in open wrt but not making much progress.

4. HaoSs

HaoSs Well-Known Member

Last edited: Mar 20, 2017
  5. Wang

Wang Member

Much Appreciate ,thanks

6. Ppoulos

Ppoulos New Member

Just an update still running under firmware 1.2.6... I did further testing with my MacPro by creating a clean installed MacOs Sierra (10.12) boot disk to test NFS and native Samba connection. NFS performance with the new boot disk was basically no different from my current boot disk. It has considerable buffering issues still - in my mind a testament to mediocre NFS programming (with persistent buffering issues) with the X9S. Samba connection was better, but spotty. That is... I could NOT connect with the Zidoo Media Center, but both ZDMC and Kodi 17 (Krypton) Beta 5 actually connected anonymously with my MacPro. However, the built in Zidoo Player (external player) for ZDMC started to play the streamed movies, but then unexpectedly stopped before any image showed. Kodi 17 was able to play the movie using the built in DVDplayer, albeit in not very good quality and stereo sound.

I then used the MacOs Migration Assistant to transfer back all of my desktop preferences and programs into this clean installed MacOs Sierra boot disk. After that Samba again ceased to work properly. The bottom line is, with the current firmware, the Zidoo X9S is poorly compatible with MacOs as a server. It has been mainly programmed to use a Windows SMB server, and has very serious buffering issues with NFS or SMB servers outside of windows.

I purchased this current replacement player after November 1, 2016 from Amazon Prime membership. So, interestingly, I have until January 31, 2017 to return the player for complete refund under their Christmas season purchase promotion. So I plan to see if there will be any upcoming firmware releases before January 31, 2017 that will fix playback. If not, I will return the player for refund due to lack of appropriate firmware upgrades to fix this problem.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2016
  7. Inferno

Inferno New Member

I have my x9s running 1.2.6 setup streaming using SMB from a Qnap (linux NAS). I have also added some settings to my advancedsettings.xml for better performance.

have you tried this?

Code:
    <!-- Streaming Optimization -->
    <network>
       <buffermode>1</buffermode> <!-- Default is 1 -->
       <cachemembuffersize>52428800</cachemembuffersize> <!-- Default is 20971520 bytes or 20 MB -->
       <readbufferfactor>2.0</readbufferfactor> <!-- Default is 1.0 -->
    </network>

8. HaoSs

HaoSs Well-Known Member

i was about to also post that : http://kodi.wiki/view/HOW-TO:Modify_the_video_cache here is the source. As far as i know. zidoo uses a " standard " smb code. That hasn't been changed in years. There should be an update this week , but probably not for SMB.

P.S. this setting will work with kodi, needs some adjustments to work with ZDMC. as they are 2 separate apps. having the data in 2 different places

9. DaMacFunkin

DaMacFunkin Active Member

MM, i wonder.
    I have some issues streaming files with HD audio, i presumed it was the frame rate issue, because they seem to skip a frame every second or two, the files play fine in zdmc without external player.
    Maybe it is the Zidoo buffer settings after all.

10. nikos_a

nikos_a Active Member

I had similar issue. Not every second or two, maybe around every minute. But with ZDMC without external player, they played smoothly. Only TrueHD has the issue with the sync in ZDMC but this is known to Zidoo and promised to fix it.