Proposal SDR TO HDR on the X9S feature request

Discussion in 'ZIDOO X9S' started by gollygosh, Jan 12, 2020.

?

Anybody else want to see this feature added

1. YES

80.0%
  2. NO

20.0%
  1. gollygosh

gollygosh Member

OK I have been using the X9S for over a year (love it), but I just got a cheap S90X3 chipset box with Android 9, 4GB Ram, 32GB storage for £30 off ebay just to play around with and there is a switch in the display settings called SDR to HDR, which on my TV makes "SOME" SDR content especially Youtube look so much better. So I was wondering if such a feature could be implemented on the X9S?

Now before all the geeks jump up and down about colorspace / rec 709 / rec 2020 / tone mapping etc, all i can tell you is this, to my eyes when I watch "SOME" SDR content output to HDR in the manner described via this cheap chipset box, then just WOW "SOME" content looks WAY better (at least to me), than watching the SAME CONTENT output via the X9S's standard SDR output mode. Now if there is a way to do this on the X9S with the latest firmware then I have not seen it, I think I read the Z9S can do this, but I'm not sure.

Anyway I wanted to share this, because I would LOVE to see this feature added via a firmware update, i.e. a way to force the X9S to output SDR as HDR in the same way some Android boxes now seem to be doing :)

Zidoo and you the end user really need to do a side by side comparison of the X9S with one of these cheap s90x3 boxes playing SDR 4K 60hz content - the difference is amazing. From juddery to smooth, from flat to eye popping. Zidoo needs to make a new box with this chipset + Android 9 + all THEIR inbuilt tweaks and make Android 9 work the way it should with a proper working notification and status bar etc. Plus of course the ability to playback MVC 3d and all the audio codecs etc :)

I love my X9S but I honestly thought WOW when I seen the picture improvements this new cheap box put out. I thought motion handling on my TV was the problem for years, I now know the X9S really is the issue, which makes me sad :(

A good bit of test footage is to try this :-

Try it with the X9S and then a S90X3 box in SDR to HDR mode both in 4K output 60hz mode - and tell me in the comments what you think. I tested it with a 65" LG E6 OLED TV. I have also been watching a lot of older Scifi (stargate stuff) lately with sdr to hdr on - the difference is amazing, I think some content really does look a lot better with SDR to HDR enabled.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2020
    Emmanuel81 likes this.
  2. Emmanuel81

Emmanuel81 Member

Hey can you post a link to the box you purchased. Thanks...