Z9X Pro and HDR10+

Discussion in 'HDD Media player(RTD 1619BPD)' started by Simbo, Oct 29, 2023.

1. Simbo

Simbo New Member

Hi All,

Recently purchased my first Zidoo and I’m a little confused with the HDR output. Wondering if someone more knowledgeable would be able to shed some light on it.

I have a Samsung TV so no Dolby Vision but have set my Zidoo to HDR > Auto. Any of my 4K rips that have Dolby Vision play with the VS10 engine and my TV simply shows that it is receiving an HDR signal.

If I change the Zidoo HDR setting to HDR10 mapping my TV correctly picks up that it is receiving an HDR10+ signal so I know my receiver allows pass through of HDR10+.

I have a rip of 1917, which I know has an HDR10+ layer, however the auto setting defaults to VS10. Is this correct?

2. Markswift2003

Markswift2003 Well-Known Member SUPER Administrator Beta test group Contributor

Unfortunately yes - at the moment, on a non-Dolby Vision display, when HDR is set to Auto, all Profile 7 Dolby Vision is processed by the VS10 engine rather than passing the base layer through natively so the only way to get HDR10+ from a Dolby Vision base layer is to use "Mapping HDR10" which is far from ideal.

I've been trying to get this changed and will continue to do so. Auto should mean all content passing through natively where EDID allows and only converted when that isn't the case.

3. Simbo

Simbo New Member

Thanks so much for the quick and detailed reply. I’m glad I wasn’t overlooking something!

Fingers crossed this gets addressed in a future firmware.

4. Simbo

Simbo New Member

This is now resolved in v1.0.60 :)

5. Markswift2003

It's in the changelog, but not fixed according to my testing. Will check again.

6. Simbo

Simbo New Member

Well the Dolby Vision files I tested before, that triggered the VS10 engine when played on my display, now play in HDR10+ when that layer is available.

I’ve tested 1917 and Back to the Future so far and my display shows HDR10+ for both.

7. Markswift2003

Interesting - Are you sure?

Are you using the G version or non-G?

I just loaded an HDR10+ EDID and tried Back to the Future and it played in HDR10 VS10:

upload_2023-11-4_10-15-15.png

upload_2023-11-4_10-15-47.png

And this is from an HDR10+ only (no DV) test file:

upload_2023-11-4_10-16-50.png

8. Simbo

Simbo New Member

Non-G version (not entirely sure what the difference is?)

IMG_8387.jpeg

9. Markswift2003

Ok, that's very weird!!

Can you press the "More" button and scroll down to the video properties - I just want to see if it's HDR10+ Profile A or B.

10. Simbo

Simbo New Member

Profile B

I have Dolby Vision compatibility mode set to TV led if that helps at all.

IMG_8400.jpeg

11. Markswift2003

Even weirder - same as mine and to be fair it looks like it's from the same disc.

Scratching my head over this...

12. Simbo

Simbo New Member

Well if there’s anything else you want me to test just let me know and I’ll be happy to do it :)

13. Markswift2003

Thank you :)

I think I've figured it out - it seems you have to force HDR10+ initially with Mapping HDR10 and then when you go back to Auto, it works... seems to be some bad logic in the code.

Simbo likes this.
  14. Markswift2003

Only seems to work on Profile 7 though, Profile 8 still falls back to VS10.

dr4go and DennisTheMenace like this.
  15. Simbo

Simbo New Member

Haven’t got a clue what the difference is between profiles. Will try and find some info and educate myself

16. bipbip2077

bipbip2077 New Member

I only get HDR10+ with the UHD, with the MKV I get DV.

17. Forrest

Forrest New Member

Reviving this thread, I have discovered this same issue when attempting to watch a DV/HDR10+ remux of Alien. Always defaults to VS10 on my Samsung S90C when using auto HDR. Confirmed the inclusion of a HDR10+ layer by switching to Mapping HDR10. Any plans to fix this?

18. Markswift2003

This was fixed in v1.0.68.

Example of dvhe.07.06 with HDR10+ base layer played on a Samsung display:

upload_2024-4-30_17-51-4.png

19. Forrest

Forrest New Member

This made me look into this forum for firmware updates. I assumed I was up to date as the in box OTA updater said so. Updating now. Thank you.

20. Markswift2003

OTA updates are a little funky to say the least!!!

Always keep an eye on the forum - latest public beta FW is always available here ;)