New Streamer

Discussion in 'Eversolo DMP-A6' started by RTStream, Apr 23, 2024.

1. RTStream

RTStream New Member

Sorry, what do you mean by “automatic switch of nodes”?

“Direct into your power amp”? Not sure what you mean by that,

thanks to both for the suggestions though.

2. Stopeter44

Stopeter44 Member

@RTStream I thought you were using the DMP-A6 strictly as a streamer, I just wondered if you had used it as a Streamer/Dac/preamp, is all. That is, just using the DMP-A6 internal dac. Not that I expect that would have any bearing on losing "Cast mode" on the iPhone.

3. RTStream

RTStream New Member

Oh ok. Right now I’m just using it as a streamer and utilising the dac in my X3. As good as the DMP-A6 is rated to be I have read in several places that its dac is its weakest feature. Not terrible, but not the best.
    I might try it out one day but I hate getting at the cables all the time. It’s a bit of a pain.

4. Stopeter44

Stopeter44 Member

Yes, cables are a pain, especially if you have very carefully tied them and organised them, which is where I was going with my question. IMO, the dac in the DMP-A6, even if it is not considered to be the "best", is certainly much better than adequate, so you can eliminate at least one cable.

I briefly tried the DMP-A6 via USB to an RME ADI-2 FS (V1, so AK4490 dac chip) that I once used exclusively for D/A duties, and honestly, I could not reliably hear any difference, and certainly not enough to worry about. OTOH, I'm not a young man, and even when I was 15, I couldn't hear past 15kHz or 16kHz, so today I'm probably very lucky if I can hear 10kHz.

5. RTStream

RTStream New Member

Yes, I most certainly agree with your point about actually hearing a difference. I’m 62 with slightly dodgy hearing in my left ear so it probably would go unnoticed either way. A lot of these “noticeable” differences are probably more of a placebo effect anyway, but I figured the wired connection would just be more stable in the long run and having the option, why not use it straight away.
    Usually the ability to hear a noticeable difference in sound quality is directly related to how much you pay for your kit. :)

6. Nutul

Nutul Well-Known Member

In your mesh-network a device automatically picks the stronger signal cell (nearest...?) and this could result in the IP address changing (that of your tablet, which is what is moving around, I assume your Eversolo is stationary...) and possibly change class mask. This would break the link between the app and the player (it looks for IP, not DNS'ed names... sic).
    Try assigning the Eversolo AND your tablet a static IP (on the router config); and this will possibly eliminate the drops in connection.

7. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Member

When I was using Wi-Fi (mesh system) there never was an issue with casting on my iPhone 13 just the dropouts.

8. Purité Audio

Purité Audio Well-Known Member

The DMP A-6 is state of the art in terms of performance it is as good as Wadax, DCS and any other ( properly designed ) dac you can buy.
    You can of course buy some really expensive poorly designed product which does colour the sound which you may prefer.
    Keith

Stopeter44 likes this.
  9. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Member

Deleted that post as I misread it... my apologies.
    I've never used the analog outputs of the DMP-A6. My DMP-A6 is connected to the USB-DAC input of a Marantz SA-KI Ruby. I'm very happy with the sound quality and like using the SA-KI Ruby as a hub for the DMP-A6, WiiM Pro and CD/SACD playback.

10. Stopeter44

Stopeter44 Member

Isn't having a DMP-A6 and a WiiM Pro duplicating functions ? That SA-KI Ruby looks like a nice piece of kit, and it looks like you are using it as your pre-amp/volume controller. Do you have many SACD's ? Depending on what the rest of your system is, that is power amps, you could have the DMP-A6 as the volume controller, but you would lose SACD playback.

11. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Member

I had the WiiM Pro before buying the DMP-A6. Once I added the DMP-A6 to my system the Pro is only used for playing Qobuz in sync with a Mini in an upstairs system. It's a nice feature of WiiM players to be able to create a whole house system.

The SA-KI Ruby is a real nice CD/SACD player and DAC. I'm using it only as a player and DAC as it's connected via XLR to a Wyred 4 Sound STP-SE preamp. The STP-SE is connected via XLR to a pair of Wyred 4 Sound SX500 monoblock amps. The STP-SE has an home theater bypass input so I also have an Emotiva XMC-1 processor in the system for playing movies and multi-channel music.

The HDMI output of the DMP-A6 is connected to the XMC-1 for playing multi-channel files from the internal SSD (4TB) and connected Western Digital hard drive (5TB). The addition of the DMP-A6 to my system has been a huge benefit in terms of flexibility. I hardly ever play CDs or SACDs with the SA-KI Ruby as it's mostly playing ripped files (CDs and SACDs) and streaming Qobuz.

My SACD library - https://www.hraudio.net/library.php?user=10674

Alan Rutlidge and Stopeter44 like this.
  12. RTStream

RTStream New Member

They are both set to static as they were constantly jumping around during my initial setup. At least I believe they are if I understand this stuff. I know I saw a setting on the DMP for static, not sure what my iPhone 14 Pro is doing though.

Last edited: May 4, 2024
  13. Stopeter44

Stopeter44 Member

The IP address of your iPhone depends on the router, you'd have to give it a fixed IP address in the router settings.

Nutul likes this.
  14. Alan Rutlidge

Alan Rutlidge Well-Known Member

Certainly an impressive SACD / Blu-ray / DVD-Audio collection. We appear to have very similar tastes in music. I too used to play my SACDs on my Sony SCD-XA5400ES, DVD-Audio on a Pioneer DV-S838A and the Blu-rays on the Sony UBP-X800. The DMP-A6 most certainly makes playing all these audio formats so much easier. :)

Bill Mac likes this.
  15. Stopeter44

Stopeter44 Member

All connected to the same system at the same time ? That took up so much space ! I have just 1 SACD, which I have never listened to (the SACD layer, that is) and about 10 DVD-Audio. I bought a very good condition Meridian G92 (IIRC), it was a, sort of, DMP-A6 of it's time, it was a CD/DVD-Audio player & preamp combined. I bought it 2nd hand, but unbeknownst to me, was the mechanism had been changed in factory and the firmware changed and it would no longer decode DVD-A's.

So I have almost no hires rips, and certainly no SACD rips, it's stunning to see so many!

Last edited: May 5, 2024
  16. RTStream

RTStream New Member

So this morning I’ve been using my iPad Air 2 instead of my iPhone 14 Pro. It has not disconnected once so far. Casting seems to stay connected on the iPad

17. Alan Rutlidge

Alan Rutlidge Well-Known Member

Up until recently, yes. I have ripped all my DVD-Audio discs so I don't use the Pioneer DV-S838A anymore as the Denon amp I have doesn't have analogue multichannel audio inputs, unlike the Sony it replaced.
    I have also ripped all my SACDs to ISO which the DMP-A6 plays back in both stereo and/or multichannel via HDMI through the Denon. I use a Sony BDP-S5100 and a ripping program called DSD2ISO on my PC to rip my SACD collection to ISO.
    I still can play SACDs and DVD-Audio discs on the Sony UBP-X800 as it supports these formats as well as Blu-ray and CD via the HDMI connection. But as you might have guessed none of these physical media players get much use now for audio as the convenience and speed of using the DMP-A6 via a tablet is so much easier.

Bill Mac and Stopeter44 like this.
  18. Hautbois2

Hautbois2 New Member

I have the same outage problem with the qobuz platform. I have connected the eversolo via ethernet cable but it keeps failing. It does it randomly and not always, so it is very difficult to find the cause of the problem

19. Stopeter44

Stopeter44 Member

FWIW, I run Tidal & Qobuz through Roon to the DMP-A6, and despite having slow (15Mbps) internet and connecting through WiFi I have no issues with either.

20. Hautbois2

Hautbois2 New Member