DMP-A8 wishlist?

Discussion in 'Eversolo DMP-A6' started by SausageDog, Jul 8, 2023.

1. SausageDog

SausageDog Member

Let's imagine an hypothetical future, higher tier, model based on the general DMP-A6 design, which would also distinguish from the "pimped" Master Edition: what would you like to see additionally or differently implemented, perfectioned or just totally new to justify a significantly increased price tag (let's say up to 2.000 money max)?

Four things I think would justify the existence of an A8 model could be: a more future proof backbone platform (better processor, more RAM, etc ), a better power stage (like in the higher tier Zidoo devices), a different DAC section (maybe an AKM chip instead of Sabre or even a totally different design with an R2R technology configuration) and an OLED display.

Hopefully Everdolo will take inspiration and motivation from this thread.

ammar11 likes this.
  2. Nutul

Nutul Well-Known Member

What you are wishing is wonderful. I would like to have the current A6 work 100%, before thinking what a hypothetical A8 could bring into the scene.

Mzapatam1, Ericks, Mister L and 5 others like this.
  3. SausageDog

SausageDog Member

Well, of course I totally agree with you, mine was just an initiative for the future and for those who would like to get more mainly from an "hardware" perspective, basically all those improvements that cannot be achieved even with an A6 working at its (supposed/expected) 100%. Changes I proposed above are for sure major changes that require a totally redesigned product, but I read that, for someone who would love to buy even just the regular A6 model, small missing in the current design, let's say the non-eARC HDMI output, represents a deal breaker. Of course this thread is here also for them and to let Eversolo understand what would be our desires, including your legit expectations about the current A6 model.

4. ammar11

ammar11 Well-Known Member

There’s really only one thing I want, network module active on standby so we can power on using the phone/tablet app (or wake up when we play a song i.e. via Tidal or Roon).

Other stuffs they can do aren’t critical i.e. something to spoil me like 8” screen, etc.

I think the choice of screen of LCD was intentional, Zidoo used OLED on their high end media players so perhaps there was burn-in issues?

The things we should can ask are more related to hardware, any fix or feature that can be done with software I want it done with the A6. Although I also think they’re already developing the A8 and the choice of hardware has been finalised.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2023
    Spizz and Nutul like this.
  5. Nice Monkey

Nice Monkey Well-Known Member Beta test group

My suggestions for a DMP-A8 version:
    - Make it full rack width this time
    - Use a much faster processor/soc which never harms (with WOL by preference)
    - Obviously using a superior DAC build and adding a headphone amplifier. This similar to Zidoo Neo Alpha/X provisions including HD BT.
    - Provide it with a linear PSU similar to Neo Alpha/X
    - Add extra USB-C front port(s), Headphone plug(s) and the front panel control buttons of Neo X to the extra front space available
    - An extra full 6 (or 8) channel DAC Analog panel would be nice for those playing MCH Audio and having AMP's with discrete inputs or mono blocks. RCA output only will do for this but must work concurrently with 2CH RCA/XLR outputs. Similar to UHD/BD Disc players.
    - It would be a great feature to direct all digital inputs via the DOH chips to HDMI as such improving potentially the sound of the source connected to those inputs.
    - Concurrent sound via HDMI/Analog outputs for easy output switching via the AMP.
    - Optional: space for a 2.5 inch HDD which may be fixed mounted from the back (similar to Neo Alpha)
    - Include that remote control and a HDMI cable this time.

The nice thing about the list above is that all technology and components are already used by Eversolo/Zidoo. It is just a matter of combining them. The flexibility with inputs and outputs is the only technical challenge to be dealt with that I see.

The LCD of DMP-A6 is as good as the OLED of Neo Alpha for those suggesting using OLED (and can be dimmed).

Last edited: Jul 9, 2023
    Ericks, Spizz, Bonzo and 2 others like this.
  6. Bonzo

Bonzo Active Member

Thinking simple and quick:

Full rack width.

Wider screen.

Loose the volume control in favor of the knob making artist and song scrolling much faster. Or make it do both and have it switchable. Or put a second knob on the left.

Selectable DAC filters.

Even better internal components.

Do NOT get the itch to add a headphone jack and amp. Not necessary for a rack unit.

Arrives with the remote included.

Perhaps make the left side with a flip down door for super easy access to the memory card. This would be helpful in a rack mounted unit.

Other things to follow....

Spizz and ammar11 like this.
  7. ammar11

We can already do this with the A6, can't we?

8. Bonzo

Bonzo Active Member

I dunno. Can we? I don't recall seeing anyone discussing the ability or which filter they prefer over another. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

9. ammar11

Yep.

upload_2023-7-12_9-5-59.jpeg

DAC filters it’s really minor adjustments though, if you can call it that. More about rolll-off than anything. Many might not even hear the difference.

Unless you meant EQ or DSP? Then no.

Bonzo likes this.
  10. Spizz

Spizz Member

+4 for the Full Rack Width (with Rack ears or a Rack mounting plate)

11. Bonzo

Bonzo Active Member

Well there you go. Those represent "something." I'm surprised there isn't a dedicated thread here talking about those choices and what people think of them. This is the very first I'm hearing about these choices. Nice to know.

The new Marantz AV10 has 2 options. Option A supposedly has the "Marantz sound" engaged. Option B is more of a pure mode that Marantz says is for when taking measurements etc. Opinions vary so far as to what people think.

ammar11 likes this.
  12. Nice Monkey

Sabre filters.JPG

I don't think it helps, but this is what they do.
    Must have a frequency curve somewhere too.

According to the ESS manual they're named:
    • Fast Roll-Off, Linear Phase
    • Slow Roll-Off, Linear Phase
    • Apodizing, Fast Roll-Off, Linear Phase
    • Fast Roll-Off, Minimum Phase (default)
    • Slow Roll-Off, Minimum Phase
    • Hybrid, Fast Roll-Off, Minimum Phase
    • Brickwall
    Most people won't hear a difference at all but some may do. Use the one that you like best and doesn't cause fatigue.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2023
    ammar11 and Bonzo like this.
  13. Bonzo

Bonzo Active Member

Thanks for the pic with the info on it. I'm interested to "see" if I will be able to "hear" the differences.

14. Inti

Inti Active Member

Hi I would like filters with a difference the ones now I can’t hear anything different maybe I’m too old

15. Nice Monkey

The filters are meant to filter undesired DAC side-effects. They are not for changing the sound in any way. They operate above 20 kHz.

16. Inti

Inti Active Member

What kind of DAC side effect I’m happy to get informed I’m open to learning some more about it

17. Technix

Technix New Member

I would like the A8 as a purist version of the A6, just streamer minus DAC or preamp. Furthermore with External Linear PSU, more powerful and futureprove CPU, bidirectional BT, Arc and I2S connecions.

18. Bonzo

Bonzo Active Member

Sounds more like an A4+ to me.

I don't see the need for Arc though. How would you use it? I'm curious to learn.

19. Boxa

Boxa New Member

Yep, a small audience listening to my system identified ZIP differences between filter settings. There was more 'perceived' difference changing the 'original sampling rate audio engine' setting.

20. gmon

gmon Member

HDMI output option for video
    just like "cast".
    I want to see the Now-playing screen from across the room.

Spizz and Path8022 like this.