ZIDOO Z9X

Discussion in 'HDD Media player(RTD 1619DR)' started by DELUCAS, Aug 4, 2020.

1. Vhiktor

Vhiktor New Member

I have a 100" screen. So leave it 2?

2. 3DBuff

3DBuff Well-Known Member

Yes, that should be default depth.

3. DMD

DMD Member

Good morning I just got the long-awaited player, but I verified that when I play files in HDR or dobly vision the screen is black and the counter on the display advances, after about 40 50 seconds the video appears.
    Is it a defect of the player or does it need some special setting, possibly I will make the return of the product.
    Thanks

4. xskip

xskip Active Member

start here: http://forum.zidoo.tv/index.php?thr...for-rtd1619-players-jvc-lldv-pdf-added.82695/

and dload latest fw and dont unzip. :) http://forum.zidoo.tv/index.php?threads/beta-version-v6-4-28-for-z9x-release.94473/

5. DMD

DMD Member

Good morning.
    I thank you for the information, I followed the settings instructions and updated to the latest fw (6.4.28).
    The problem is not solved . when I start playback the dipslay counter marks the time but the video does not appear, I have to wait 30-40 seconds.
    I asked Zidoo support and they told me this:

"It is correct.
    The video starts to play and quits to play. When the player and the display device switch frame rate and HDR, they will shake hands due to the HDMI protocol. This process is a black screen.
    Turning off the frame rate switch and playing SDR will not be black, but HDR will still be black, which is normal. In addition, the handshake of the display device also shows blue screen, green screen, flower screen and product LOGO.
    "

For me this is not normal, with the outdated player like HiMedia I did not have these problems.
    I am a little disappointed about this.

6. DELUCAS

DELUCAS Well-Known Member

Either something in your set up chain ( settings in Zidoo or Screen etc ) is wrong !
    Can you first playback a simple 4K Mkv 5.1 file & a 1080p mkv file no issues ?
    if all ok & its just HDR / Dolby vision mkv files then your settings need finely tuning .
    Never heard of any members saying it takes 40-50 seconds to see a image to appear ……….
    Projector owners circa 5-15 seconds yes but a LG 65 oled screen i take it ?

Have you rebooted box a few times and powered off from mains ?

xskip likes this.
  7. Markswift2003

Markswift2003 Well-Known Member SUPER Administrator Beta test group Contributor

This is not normal at all, but I don't think the problem is the Zidoo.

HDMI resyncs will happen whenever either resolution, frame rate or HDR mode changes, or any combination thereof.

The video from the Zidoo starts immediately, but because HDMI resyncs, the display will usually go blank as this happens - the length of time this happens depends on the HDMI sink (a sink is the combination of what's connected after the source).

Most devices will resync in less than 5 seconds but I've never heard of anything taking 30-40s - something alse is going on.

You'll have to figure this out with a process of elimination starting by connecting the Zidoo direct to the TV and then introducing further sinks into the chain (amp, HDFury etc).

xskip likes this.
  8. ccart

ccart New Member

When I used to use Kodi on the nvidia shield, Kodi had a really nice feature to pause playback following a frame rate re-sync for a set amount of time. So I could set it to say, 2 seconds, press play and the hdmi would re-sync and 2 seconds later the video would start. It would certainly be a welcome feature on the Zidoo I'm sure.

crutzulee likes this.
  9. Markswift2003

Like this?

Screenshot_20220927-135428.png

ccart and crutzulee like this.
  10. ccart

ccart New Member

Is that what it does? for some reason I thought it paused the actual re-sync happening rather than pausing the video starting (so set delay to 3 seconds, press play then 3 seconds later the re-sync happens). I'll check it again later as I thought I tried it and didn't like it for this reason :D

rozel, crutzulee and Markswift2003 like this.
  11. DMD

DMD Member

I thank you for the answers.
    The video chain consisting of AVR Key and LG 65B6V display is the same one that the HiMedia Q10 pro was connected to, which works perfectly.
    I tried connecting the Zidoo directly to the display and encountered the same problem.
    I updated to the latest firmware (6.4.28) although I could not solve it.
    I disconnected from the network overnight and this morning it seems to work fine with both HDR and Dolby Vision videos after the player circle started immediately, as HiMedia.
    I am keeping it under observation to see if the problem occurs, I cannot give an explanation.

This is the setting

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 27, 2022
  12. Markswift2003

First things first, your settings are a bit off.

Firstly you need auto framerate on otherwise everything will be output at 60Hz which is bad for pretty much all content. The other thing this does is mean that any Dolby Vision signal will output at either 8-bit RGB for TV Led or 12-bit 4:2:2 for Player Led (LLDV) and that's a full chat 18Gbps/594MHz signal and any issues in the HDMI chain will give exactly the symptoms you're seeing.

So set Frame Rate Mode to either Frame Rate Only or Frame Rate & Resolution depending whether you want the Zidoo to scale or the display.

Also set HDMI Range to 16-235 rather than Auto and switch Lock Resolution on (this is just for startup).

What you say about the network is also a bit of a pointer - a long startup delay can indicate that network resources are maybe asleep? I set my NAS drives to sleep after a specific period of inactivity and part of my Room On command is to send HTTP GET commands to wake them up - if I don't, it can take several seconds to spin up. Just a thought.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2022
    crutzulee and DMD like this.
  13. DMD

DMD Member

Thank you very much for the advice.
    I hope I did it correctly.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. Markswift2003

Perfect :)

ccart and DMD like this.
  15. DMD

DMD Member

thanks again for the advice, now I keep an eye on I hope the problem will not recur, I had become a little demoralized.

16. Markswift2003

Let us know how you get on...

DMD likes this.
  17. ccart

ccart New Member

Hi, I did some more testing earlier and I don't think this is actually what I was asking about. I tested a few movies and tv show episodes as well to make sure, all are the same.

When I set the pause to 10 seconds (extreme example) then play a movie/tv show, the loading screen appears and then after 10 seconds the frame rate re-sync happens and the video starts playing at the same time. This results in 1-2 seconds video being missed and then another of audio being missed while the player/stream sort themselves out. Not normally an issue but sometimes a tv show episode or movie go straight into the content without any intro screens/music etc.

What I was asking about was a feature where if you set a 10 second delay then press play, the frame & resolution adjust happen straight away, and the video only starts after 10 seconds meaning the player/stream have time to sort themselves out and audio plays from the start with the video (10 seconds is just an extreme example, on my old shield + kodi I had it set to 1 second).

I actually don't understand the point of the pause option in the zidoo having carried out these tests unless this isn't correct behaviour?

For info I'm on firmware 6.4.20 with all the recommended settings from the pinned thread in these forums, nothing unusual in my setup.

18. Markswift2003

What this feature does is start the video immediately, but pauses it to allow the display to resync, then after the allotted time, it resumes.

My Samsung takes around 5s to resync so using a 10s pause results in HDMI resyncing in 5s and then a further 5s of paused video and then the video starts. In practice, a delay of 7s seems optimal for my display but I must admit I never bother using it.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2022
    ccart and rozel like this.
  19. rozel

rozel Well-Known Member

Is this a new feature with 6.4.28/29 or have I just missed this? - it's a brilliant addition imho.

Also something has bothered me since almost the day I got my Zidoo (I realise not a Z9X) but when the credits start scrolling at the end of a film, they go light and dark with differing intervals rather than staying at a specific brightness. These are credits against a black background. Do you know what causes this and if there is a "fix" please?

20. Markswift2003

No, it's always been there :)

The brightness changes will be the display compensating for screen content - probably a setting you can turn off - nothing to do with the Zidoo.