ZIDOO Z9X

Discussion in 'HDD Media player(RTD 1619DR)' started by DELUCAS, Aug 4, 2020.

1. 3DBuff

3DBuff Well-Known Member

I’m on the same page. What good is up converting anything to Dolby Vision if you can’t send native DV to your TV.

Osmar and Bill-Z9X like this.
  2. Bill-Z9X

Bill-Z9X Active Member

@moal
    Some MEL films start with DV but start to stutter after a few minutes. Other MEL films start with a black screen. All FEL films play with HDR. For me it is not yet a function.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2020
  3. vince48

vince48 New Member

Gentilemen,
    When I use the Netflix app on the Z9X, I get stereo sound. If I use the internal Netflix app watching the same show, i get "multi channel" sound from my SR7011. Anyone else having this issue?

4. Bill-Z9X

Bill-Z9X Active Member

It is still in stereo, but multi-channel audio will also be supported in the future, says Zidoo

Last edited: Oct 1, 2020
  5. Bill-Z9X

Bill-Z9X Active Member

it is too expensive for me, I have kept Oppo Clone for DV as long as it is not possible with Zidoo ;)

6. vince48

vince48 New Member

Thanks

7. DaMacFunkin

DaMacFunkin Active Member

Wise decision, you will be able to see that no matter what they do with these Fel titles and MKV the colour and tone is not as reference compared to the original dual stream on the Oppo.

Bill-Z9X likes this.
  8. McBluna

McBluna Well-Known Member

9. Bill-Z9X

Bill-Z9X Active Member

unfortunately not, 2 DV films neu converted with v 1.15.3 (FEL &MEL), same result. MEL film start with DV but start to stutter after a few minutes. FEL - Black Screen, Player hangs.

10. Oldirtydog

Oldirtydog Member

For mel DV on lg C9 turn off autoframe and resolution

11. blenky

blenky Well-Known Member

I'm trying this with a UHD copy of 1917. Not having much success. Resultant file plays OK for about five minutes then playback gets really uneven and unwatchable. Both profile 7 and 8 same result.

Bill-Z9X likes this.
  12. DaMacFunkin

Why would you watch a 23.976hz film in 60hz, I would rather just watch it in HDR10 than do that.

13. chinkw1

chinkw1 Member

May I ask a question on PQ quality between Z9s vs. Z9x in playing 4K ISO/BDMV pls?

Is the PQ obviously better in Z9x?

14. DaMacFunkin

Hi, if your TV isn't Dolby Vision capable then no.
    If your TV is Dolby Vision capable then Zidoo would have you believe that their VS10 processing or LLDV output is an upgrade on HDR10 material.
    It could be that your TV has an active HDR setting that already does the same thing.
    If you have a TV model with a higher end processor it may even do this a lot better than the Zidoo.

15. Markswift2003

Markswift2003 Well-Known Member SUPER Administrator Beta test group Contributor

Subjectively, on real world content, no, not really. But if you start to dig deeper you find the chroma alignment is a lot better and banding is minimised further from the already decent performance of the Z9S.

If you look at individual luma levels it performs better and more linearly and the old issue of an 8-bit bottleneck in 4K23 12-bit 422 from the 129* SOC seems to have disappeared too so 12-bit 422 is now fully usable without seeing chroma banding.

The addition of VS10, particularly for projector owners, is a huge bonus, although there are currently issues with a raised black floor in VS10 HDR and VS10 SDR modes.

Also it's new and shiny ;)

Keep an eye on AVS this week - @Sledgehamma 's review is imminent!

xskip and Miguel Ramos like this.
  16. Miguel Ramos

Miguel Ramos Active Member

Cheers @Markswift2003! How can I benefit from the VS10 in the Epson TW9400 (that doesn't have DV)? Is there any settings recommendations, both Zidoo and projector, or you have to own a HD Fury Vertex?

17. Markswift2003

It all comes down to what the EDID says - I think I'm right in saying that the 9400 is HDR?

So if you chose VS10 from the HDR menu with a 9400 connected, it will output VS10 HDR10 - that is to say it will convert all content, whether SDR, HDR10(+), DV or LLDV to HDR10 using the Dolby VS10 engine.

The Dolby engine is designed to make the most out of any display regardless of SDR/HDR capability and it does this very well. The only issue is that at the moment in VS10 HDR mode (as you will have) the black floor is slightly raised - what we used to call "pedestal" in the old analogue days. So all luminance values (brightness) are raised by a few steps.

This means that although the black clip is spot on, black actually comes out grey - everything is raised relatively. This is a bug and I've been flagging this since day one but I think so far it's maybe been lost a bit in translation but I will persevere!

You can mitigate it to a certain extent by dropping the "brightness" level in <Quick Settings/Display/Picture Parameter> by two steps from 32 to 30. This will crush black slightly at the low end but it's a good compromise.

You could even calibrate it out in the projector if you like.

Anyway - it's all about perception, so give it a try and see if you like it.

You can go a step further with an HDFury device (ideally Vertex 2, but Vertex1, Integral 2 (not 1) will do - just not as flexible) and use a BT.2020 LLDV EDID which allows the Zidoo to output LLDV but in BT.2020 colour space - and that's the kicker - the BT.2020 colour space as opposed to LLDV's native IPT. Feed this into a PJ, use your standard HDR mode and everything is output in Dolby goodness in a format your projector can understand.

Either way, with either VS10 HDR or VS10 LLDV, the output from SDR, HDR and DV content is in one mode and the conversion is very impressive.

There is another option which is VS10 SDR, which again, unless you have an SDR projector/TV you'd need an HDFury device to spoof.
    Theoretically this would be an excellent choice for projectors since all the tone mapping is done by Dolby's algo but the issue is again the black floor.

VS10 SDR pedestal is way raised so again you could calibrate it out but I think you'd crush black too much in the process. Again I'm trying to explain this to Zidoo but so far nothing's changed.

Cyclion and Miguel Ramos like this.
  18. Miguel Ramos

Thanks a lot for your kind and very detailed information. The TW9400 is an HDR that accepts signals up to 4K 18 Ghz.

If I got it well I must go to the Zidoo "Quick Settings / Display / HDR" and choose "Dolby Vision VS10 Engine".

Then compensate the "excess" image brightness by decreasing it in the Picture Parameter of the Zidoo or the projector.

Is it like I'm saying?

What about the Zidoo "Color Settings"? Should I keep the "4K 23~30Hz" in "Priority YUV444 10BIT"?

Last edited: Oct 4, 2020
  19. Markswift2003

Yes, exactly that.

And yes, colour settings stay the same.

Miguel Ramos likes this.
  20. Miguel Ramos

Hey you're totally right! I've tried a few movies we're I used to get brightness clipping and now I get much more colors and details! :)

EDIT:
    The only thing is that the image, in general, gets dimmer. VS10 gives you more colors, but you "pay" it with light. It's a compromise that you have to accept and opt for based in your personal taste

Last edited: Oct 4, 2020
    Markswift2003 likes this.