ZIDOO Z9X

Discussion in 'HDD Media player(RTD 1619DR)' started by DELUCAS, Aug 4, 2020.

1. Matt Suda

Matt Suda New Member

I recently upgraded to the Z9X from the X9S and I have run into a few issues.

After turning the Z9X off into standby mode, next time I turn it on, the lighted display on the box turns on and it shows the UI on my TV in a frozen state. The UI doesn't respond to my remote. Only solution is to turn off the Zidoo back switch and turn it back on. This is reproducible on every version so far including the recent version 6.0.45 G. Right now I have to do a full shut down when I'm done and a full boot next time I want to use it. Standby mode always freezes. Is this a bug or is my unit defective? This worked just fine on my X9S.

Update: even with a full shut down and boot it still freezes sometimes. If I leave the frozen UI up, about 1 minute later the UI refreshes and then I'm able to use my remote and control it. What's going on?

Final UPDATE for the freeze issue:
    I am not sure what I did but I am no longer having this freeze issue. Rest of the post below still stands

Another thing is when starting playback for a movie, after the black loading screen with title and spinner, it will have a blank black screen for a second which is supposed to happen to adjust frame rate and resolution but then 1-2 seconds after playing it will flash a black screen a second time for 1-2 seconds and then the movie plays back fine. It never flickered black a second time on the X9S. (File is MKV and it happens with HD and 4K files and both SDR and HDR files. TV is LG OLED) (I have match frame rate and resolution selected and HDR mode set to auto)

Also on the X9S the box went into standby after 5 minutes of inactivity when on the main screen, the Z9X stays on and doesn't auto go into standby. Sometimes I forget to shut it off and I really liked the auto standby feature. Every other tech box I have attached to my TV has an auto standby feature except the Z9X. Is this an intended change or is there some setting to get this working again? Only thing I can find is a screensaver.

Also, the screensaver doesn't start after pausing the playback of a video in the file browser and in the Home Theater poster app. The screensaver only works in the main menus. I would like an option for this to work after pausing video playback and there is no activity for 15-30 seconds. This would still leave enough time to view the info box popup in the left side of the screen. This would be a great feature for OLED TVs. It may cause issues with having to change color and screen resolution though resulting in black screens so that may be why it hasn't been added. A good example of how this is implemented is on the Apple TV.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2020
  2. Whitfield

Whitfield Active Member

Never tried it out but now.
    I'm on FW 6.0.45 G and it does not freeze after wake-up from standby mode.
    I do have to say, in the first days of my Z9X, I did an emergency flash (thing with the reset button and install image on USB) and went from there.

Good to know, thanks. Didn't check that one out yet. Also if you're watching on a plasma screen a proper standby mode and/or screensaver is important. Maybe even more if it's in the bedroom :).

Matt Suda likes this.
  3. Whitfield

Whitfield Active Member

Maybe something wrong with the zipfile. Re-download it, put it on USB root and try again.

4. Whitfield

Whitfield Active Member

Went from FW 6.0.45 G (public) to 6.0.35.
    Can somebody confirm that, every time when you want to flash back to earlier firmware, you have to do an emergency flash first?
    I'm not keen on making a hobby out of this.

@Matt Suda: FYI with FW 6.0.35 also, the player doesn't freeze after wake-up from standby mode.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2020
  5. Markswift2003

Markswift2003 Well-Known Member SUPER Administrator Beta test group Contributor

Yes you do.

6. J.K.uploaden

J.K.uploaden Member

Yes, own complete disc rips to ISO. After playing around with the settings, it's like this now (still on 6.0.35):

- playing in menu mode: native player instantly crashes and returns to file selection, music keeps on playing in the background.

- playing in movie only mode: 3D plays fine.

I agree. Will skip 6.0.45.

7. Good morning,
    sorry but I can no longer find a link that takes me to download the Firmware to return to factory conditions. There is a lot of discussion and I am extremely confused.

I thank in advance who can help me, Good day, Andrea.

EDIT: Mi sono dimenticato di dire che io uso le Gapps.......

8. Whitfield

Whitfield Active Member

andreamusso.am likes this.
  9. Ralph Galli

Ralph Galli New Member

Thanks to Whitfield for helping with downloading version v6.0.45_G.
    You mentioned not to extract the zip file.
    I'm hoping you might have a solution to this question...I am recording to a Seagate portable drive.
    When looking at the PIP the video looks great, but during and after when I playback the video, it jitters. The sound quality is
    excellent and the video picture quality is also excellent except for the jitter.
    Thanks

10. Whitfield

Whitfield Active Member

No thanks, I didn't help you with version 6.0.45_G. I gave a link where to find version 6.0.35.

I think you want to try that one. I went back to 6.0.35 myself. Only I found out that, before going back to earlier firmware, you have to first perform an emergency flash again.
    After the emergency flash, you can install your desired update package.
    Did you try with Framerate Mode on? Jerky video playback can be a framerate mismatch between source and receiving display.

11. Ralph Galli

Ralph Galli New Member

"I will try that".
    Have you tried recording with the pre-set timer? I was thinking if you had the parameters to set the record from a android media box?
    Also, do have any problem with setting up a timer setting for recording? I am having a problem setting a timer recording. It does not go into record at the pre-set time.
    At 30 seconds before the recording starts, it says it is going to record...but it does not record.
    Thanks again.

12. Whitfield

Whitfield Active Member

No, I didn't try the HDMI input whatsoever. Never felt the need to use it.

13. Whitfield

Whitfield Active Member

Does somebody know if there is a way to make the box act as a Chromecast?

14. rozel

rozel Well-Known Member

Me too - it would have been far better to equip all these new players with 2 x HDMI Outs

Bill-Z9X likes this.
  15. Nejiro

Nejiro Member

Hello everyone, I am the owner of a Z9S and I was wondering if it is worth switching to the Z9X, given that I am fine with the Z9S, I wanted to know from you if you recommend me to switch to the Z9X and for example if you can install apps on the Z9X like Netflix and Prime Video without restrictions and if they work well ...... also what other advantages are there between z9s and z9x? Only android 9 instead of 7?
    Thank you

16. McBluna

McBluna Well-Known Member

As long as you don't want DV I see no advantage. The support for streaming services is limited. I'll keep my Z9S for a while.

17. Nice Monkey

Nice Monkey Well-Known Member Beta test group

It is all here. HDR in general and DV specifically is the big piece indeed,
    http://forum.zidoo.tv/index.php?thr...w-about-the-new-rtd1619dr-based-models.80434/
    There are several other improvements which may be small or big depending how they appeal to you. Things like WOL and flawless 2CH playback of MCH SACD ISO's are important for me as I am a Music Player user

18. Whitfield

Whitfield Active Member

Besides the DV issues that must be solved, there are 3D ISO playback issues and for backwards audio-compatibility the latest firmware update hasn't been the most skookum.
    But I'm relaxed to say that issues will be solved. Mind that it is early days for this player.

So, for switching your model to the Z9X, maybe it's wise to wait a while and keep monitoring these forums.
    See how things develop.

19. blenky

blenky Well-Known Member

Cool. Thats looks really interesting. May give this a whirl

20. Bill-Z9X

Bill-Z9X Active Member

Sorry, but it's still too early to advertise with DV support. To date I have not been able to play a film with native DV from the Zidoo Z9X.
    Only streaming from Netflix, but my TV (and every TV with Dolby Vision) can do it too, it's not really interesting.

3DBuff likes this.